Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Billionaires in "Space"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And second, the Left says the sheer number of millions of dollars spent on space-related pursuits, could be better spent on helping those less fortunate...a billion here, a billion there...why not build a few thousand homeless shelters, or spend the money to feed starving people around the world?
    Where did the millions he spent go?
    To the people that designed the rocket. They got paid.
    To the people that sold the materials to make the rocket. They got paid.
    To the people that built the rocket. They got paid.
    Imagine if those people didn't get paid.
    They might have been unemployed.
    They might have been homeless.
    They might have been starving.
    They ARE less fortunate than Bezos.
    Bezos IS helping the less fortunate.
    As much as I don't like him for some of his political leanings, or at least the media companies he owns, he is an employer of a bunch of people.
    They have jobs.
    They may not be the best paying jobs, or so many would have you believe, but they ARE jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    He's the Standard Oil of our time.

Envy is a hell of a drug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was in a restaurant Tuesday night, and they had a TV with CNN on. Anderson Cooper was interviewing Bezos about the "10 minutes in space"...
    Seriously...ten minutes?? Did that count the travel time up there?
    "Oooh, look! I WAS IN SPACE!!!" Yeah, and I've been to Japan. Don't recall for how long. It was just for the time it took to refuel the plane, and I never left the airport...but I've been to Japan!

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

4. LOL txswimmer, shawnricheson LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... like when you go to Germany... Or as we used to. We would stop in at Shannon Ireland and get off the plane, go through the duty free store, and wait a while, and then get back on the plane to Frankfurt. Have I been to Ireland... Yep. Many times. I spent all of half an hour there each. In the duty free shop.

The point is, it is his money to do with as he pleases, and we should respect whatever he does with it. Unlike what the government does with the money they take from us.

I would probably spend money like that on cars or stuff that won't make a bit of difference a thousand years from now. I think that what he does may have, at least, a small effect on future events. That is always a good thing. I think.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

6. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he really go into space? I don't think so. He was almost in space, but not quite there.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    People can spend their money the way they want. It's THEIR money. I may find it foolish, but I am a bit parsimonious. I have very little (almost zero) debt. I have enough for a modest retirement. Were I to win the lottery, the majority would go to charity and to family, but I would have fun. Bezos and Branson going into "space" doesn't phase me a bit.

On a side note - I was in Oregon visiting my sister. At the McDonald's drive thru, I was behind a woman with 2 bumper stickers - one was "Bernie Sanders" and the other said "We don't need billionaires". What was she driving? A brand new, top of the line Lexus. "Latte liberals" crack me up.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" - Mathew 22:37-40 (KJV)

9. Likes shawnricheson, fchafey, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like what someone mentioned on Dr. Gorka's radio show a couple of days ago. Guest noted that ALL of the money Bezos spent on the trip...is money that is NOT going to be used to support Democrats OR Left-leaning causes!!

I say let him try to spend more time in space, over the next two or so years...

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    The FAA changed the rules for who qualifies as a civilian astronaut on the day Bezos made his flight.
    Under the new rules, no one on board Bezos trip to the upper atmosphere qualifies.
    Branson and his crew received their civilian astronaut wings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks... It is his money. he can wipe his ass with it if he wants to. And I do not think anyone but Funk on Bezos' ship really cares about being officially called an astronaut. The reason so many Billionaires are doing the space thing is because the folks who supply NASA have outpriced going to space. Like the Webb space telescope. They realize that once the thing launches they are unemployed. Ergo, stall as long as you can, and let's soak the system for all it has.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the government contractor I worked with at Hood said - ?I am not here to solve the problem. I am here to prolong it.?

14. LOL Grasshopperglock LOL'd at this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast