Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Civics in Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you consider the Declaration of Independence and our Constitutions to be opinion then I accept your statement. Those documents should be the base of any Civics curriculum.
    I have to admit I hadn't ever thought of those founding documents as being opinion, but I guess they are. But, yes, they MUST be included. And a kid can learn that we are to be able to seek "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" without a long discussion (especially in younger classes) of what it means. Maybe you could have a separate "political theory" class for older students, but, then, it may invite politically based teaching.

I remember my civics class. I found it interesting, though dry. We never had political discussions. On the other hand, my 7th grade science teacher, who was a survivor of the Bataan death march, had some things to say.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" - Mathew 22:37-40 (KJV)

Post Thanks / Like
    From Plato to Noam Chomsky, all philosophy is opinion. Truth has only one source... God... in the person of Jesus Christ.
    "There is no such thing as a scientific ought. Science is competent to establish only what is."

3. Thanks Mestral, Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On a slight tangent. If any of you know anyone who might like some intel on something happening related to smuggling and the border crisis, I might have some intel on an operation in Florida.

I don't have anyone down there, any more, but a neutral party was spouting off on an issue (complaining about something local to him) that lit up some of my warning bells.

Although I used to dabble in it, it is outside my area of expertise, so it might be nothing.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    From Plato to Noam Chomsky, all philosophy is opinion. Truth has only one source... God... in the person of Jesus Christ.
    I just wish I were smart enough to know what the hell that means......as far as I'm concerned, Truth does not have a "source".....nor does our God or the Christ...........mac
    Last edited by mac; May 5th, 2021 at 3:54 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    On a slight tangent. If any of you know anyone who might like some intel on something happening related to smuggling and the border crisis, I might have some intel on an operation in Florida.

I don't have anyone down there, any more, but a neutral party was spouting off on an issue (complaining about something local to him) that lit up some of my warning bells.

Although I used to dabble in it, it is outside my area of expertise, so it might be nothing.
    Disregard the above. I found out the traffic he is observing is related to the hostilities and uprising going on in Columbia.
    I am anyone with a need to know, already knows. Caught me off guard, since I don't watch Columbia and Venezuela very closely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Disregard the above. I found out the traffic he is observing is related to the hostilities and uprising going on in Columbia.
    I am anyone with a need to know, already knows. Caught me off guard, since I don't watch Columbia and Venezuela very closely.
    Borderland Beat is your best source for cartel news :www.borderlandbeat.com It has everything you would never want to know.
    "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" - Mathew 22:37-40 (KJV)

8. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    Borderland Beat is your best source for cartel news :www.borderlandbeat.com It has everything you would never want to know.
    Thanks. I already have a scraper looking for anything to do with the Sinaloa Cartel (active in Central TX and AR). This will make a good partner with that one.

10. Likes txswimmer liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2