Thread: 9mm, .45, .38, .40 S&W Academy in Killeen 9 AM, !6 January

Post Thanks / Like

9mm, .45, .38, .40 S&W Academy in Killeen 9 AM, !6 January

The 9mm is Russian, Tula, 115 Gr, Steel Case, Non-corrosive. Sealed can of 900 rnds with giant P38 type can opener = $200. .45 in same style is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With tax, that comes to 24 cents per round.

Not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    A caution I might need to add on Tula Ammo is that the primers are hard. Some weapons don't have enough firing pin force to reliably fire the primer. Glocks are pretty good as are most mil spec weapons. A target 'race' gun with the lighter titanium striker and springs might not like this beefy Russian stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 9mm is Russian, Tula, 115 Gr, Steel Case, Non-corrosive. Sealed can of 900 rnds with giant P38 type can opener = $200. .45 in same style is available.
    I use TULAMO a lot and it hasn't given me any problems in my AK...The biggest problem is getting magazines now. Mine are back ordered.

Most on line sites aren't expecting resupply until mid 2013 for ammo or magazines. I think many are waiting to see what they tyrant is going to try.
    Last edited by sojourner truth; January 16th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    OK, where?
    I believe I mentioned that in the title of this thread, Academy in Killeen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I tried to erase that post when I reread the thing you wrote, but the site is giving me some issues right now. Slow posts again, and when you hit post, it's a 50/50 thing what posts.

Bet by the time I get to Academy it'sgone.

Cheaper than dirt posted that they "now have magazines again"...Too bad by the time I checked, they were all gone except the 30 rd. Colt mags for $100 a shot...I don't think so.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I might like to get in the way of magazines would be this 50 round Glock drum magazine that hasn't been released yet, and then only if the price is right. They were advertised on the Midway website at $69 but it also says that they're not available and can't be back ordered. I'm rather cautions of those 100 round beta mags. I saw one work flawlessly in a select fire Glock and another fail miserably in a Kel tec sub 2000 that accepted Glock magazines. Then I have to ask myself if I'm trying to turn my little Glock 26 into a Calico. As I've already got a Calico, what's the point of that?

I'm gonna have to try some of that Tulammo in the Calico. It tends to be rather picky, especially with the feeding in its helical magazine as all the cartridges have to roll smoothly over one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    sheesh....like i told someone the other day i can't believe some of you have calicos. for years i've always thought i had the only one in town...or the whole county, maybe the whole dammed state!.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert II View Post
    The only thing I might like to get in the way of magazines would be this 50 round Glock drum magazine that hasn't been released yet, and then only if the price is right. They were advertised on the Midway website at $69 but it also says that they're not available and can't be back ordered. I'm rather cautions of those 100 round beta mags. I saw one work flawlessly in a select fire Glock and another fail miserably in a Kel tec sub 2000 that accepted Glock magazines. Then I have to ask myself if I'm trying to turn my little Glock 26 into a Calico. As I've already got a Calico, what's the point of that?

I'm gonna have to try some of that Tulammo in the Calico. It tends to be rather picky, especially with the feeding in its helical magazine as all the cartridges have to roll smoothly over one another.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know CheaperThanDirt carried magazines, since they quit carrying guns.
    Will have to go look again. I need to start stocking up on them.

Trying not to get too far off topic here, but what is wrong with a calico?
    I saw one advertised, and it looked like an OK rifle.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a Calico 9mm, per se. When mine is feeding well I love it and my wife loves it. It is easy to shoot and very accurate. If there is any 'problem', that problem is associated with its advantage which is its magazine capacity. The SMALLEST magazine is 50 rounds, the largest is 100, just those two options. Both magazines are helical feed with adjustable spring tension that allows one to store a fully loaded magazine with no tension on the spring. To add tension to the spring, there's a crank at the back of the magazine. To remove tension there's a clutch.

Spring tension must be correct for proper feeding. Too little and the bullets in the magazine can jostle out of position. Too much and the spring can break. I've also found that the particular ammunition used is rather critical to functioning. I haven't tried Tula in it yet, but I've found Winchester white box works well. Furthermore, as the bullets slide around and over one another in the magazine, I've confined myself to FMJ with the Calico as I suspect hollow points might snag on one another. If the bullets in a 100 round magazine get out of alignment, your whole day, or at least an annoying portion of it, is consumed with unloading, reloading and properly tensioning the mega magazine. Again, with Winchester white box FMJ I've had no problems.

11. Thanks Mestral thanked this post