Thread: Essential Oils With Massage Yes/No

Post Thanks / Like

Essential Oils With Massage Yes/No

Having little or no knowledge of essential oils, how do you feel about using them during a massage?

I have had clients that simply do not care, they are interested in their benefits, or just like them because they smell good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lavender. Ya can't go wrong with lavender.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    If you wish to acquire some knowledge on the subject, go to Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    nope i have a bit of knowledge in it, just curious if someone who doesnt would mind them being used

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose they'd be OK, especially for someone who has a specific complaint. I've never had them used on me, but if I knew they were available, I'd have said, "Sure thing". One question, though. Are you planning to charge any extra for their use? I know a lady that is also an herbologist that charges extra for those.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it honestly depends on the oil. I have a very sensitive sniffer, and I learned my lesson once before. I have to smell the oil beforehand. I went to a massage once (when I was new to massage) and the girl asked me if she wanted me to use essential oil. I agreed and asked if she could use something relaxing. She used sandalwood, one which makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Needless to say I didn't enjoy the massage because I was too focused on not vomiting during the massage!

One of my favorites is the Stress Relief eucalyptus spearmint from Bath and Body Works. I know it's not a technical oil, but it sure smells amazing and really does relax me. I also enjoy when another therapist I've seen uses a lavender mix - I normally don't like lavender but it's mixed with something that makes it tolerable.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    No smell

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    no i do not charge extra to use them during a massage! i simple like using them because they can enhance the massage itself and have lasting effects after. I always ask the client to smell the oil before as well because if you do not like the smell of it, it is less effective on your body! That is where the whole "mind, body, soul" stuff kicks in!