Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Anxiety during thunderstorms

Post Thanks / Like

High Anxiety during thunderstorms

My large Australian Shepperd mix is terrified of thunderstorms and rain. He is now 8 yrs old and we have had him since he was only 6 months old. Do the over the counter anxiety calming supplements really work, or should I visit my vet?

He tears through the privacy fence and has scratched the paint off the back door. Any advise is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you bring him in the house during thunderstorms when you're home and just play cuddle with him? That way he would learn to associate them with pleasant things.

Post Thanks / Like
    We do this. Today when we got home, he had made his way through the fence and was on the porch waiting for us. I guess he was hoping one of the cats would let him in. He hates fireworks, thunderstoms, tries to eat the vet, very high anxiety and olny weighs 75 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm now enjoying this stormy evening with the company of my 107# Great Dane that also suffers from thunderstorm anxiety. She has gotten worse over the years and now sticks like velcro to us during the storms. There are medications that can help with anxiety but you have to be a better weatherman than I to be able to predict when you'll need them and be home at an appropriate time to administer. We have created a safe place for our dog during the storms and she now goes directly to the rug in our bedroom and rests pretty well until the storm passes. It took some time and we had to sit with her for several storms but now she stays put and we go about our business without her knocking us down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am watching movies while listening to the snoring of four dogs in my home too.

Amazing behavior an hour or so before the storm and lightening came through. I always know when we really are going to get rain or if it is a false alarm.

I have one that has no anxiety (really gritty dog) but I just thought she should come in with the others.

Two Black Mouth Curs 75 lbs each, a Blue Heeler and a Catahoulla.

Life's Good

6. Likes SamBrown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two beagles. Our male would hang outside in the storm if he could. He does have his limits, but no anxiety. Our female (thinks she's a cat) is terrified of storms. More than anything it is the water. She went out today and really had to think about how bad she needed to go before finally venturing out in the rain (it was only sprinkling for Pete's sake). She's such a wimp, but I love snuggling with her during these times though. Sometimes she is so close that she is almost behind me, but I love snuggling with my baby girl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mine is afraid of the sound of the wind in the window screens (even with the windows shut). I made his crate into a cave-style den, with blankets covering all but the (extended) doorway. When I am in the office, I have a filter fan and a computer fan that he lays between, that blocks out the sound of the wind.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mestral, I like your quote underneath your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our first dog (a mutt) was terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks. He would go hiding in one of the closets for hours.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a female pomeranian who's terrified of thunder and fireworks. She came to me that way 4.5 years ago. I just let her snuggle up to me and let her go. The only other dog I've known to hate thunder was a neighbor's dog who I used to watch when they left town. She was worse than Taffee, but then again she was a collie mix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast