Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Snake nest in my backyard

Post Thanks / Like

Snake nest in my backyard

We are steadily working on our backyard in hopes of "complete wonderfulness" for our daughters Luau birthday party in May.

We water DAILY (yes the city loves us), we mow ALOT, we have planted sod in places and we have this BEAUTIFUL honeysuckle vine coming across the fence.

Trees completely along the backside and a clothes line I actually use (you would be amazed how much we save with that thing).

Today I decided to cut a few branches, clean the pool, hang some clothes and find the biggest friggin snake nest EVER. I moved a tub I had put there perhaps a week ago that I gather poo in and dump and there wasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	snakes 001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snakes 002.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1475 a nest of snake babies. I want to say a 100....snakes are NOT my friggin thing AT ALL.

Hubby says maybe 16.

Here's the thing, snake babies have a snake mama and she can't be as small and indescript as her children. I took some pics, hubby gathered as many as possible to transfer to a beautiful field across the street....BUT OMG snake mama has to be REALLY pissed now.

I am using the dryer and I rethinking the party....a room at the civic center sounds great right about now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh goodness those are big babies!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Harmless. It seems you may have the mom also, hard to tell by the picture. They are good at keeping bugs and other undesireable insects out of your yard.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pic is bad...we grabbed a bunch and put in a bowl to transfer (THE ENTIRE time I was SCREAMING..."not close to me...not close to me ..with expletives" after we did so our amazing 70lb love dog knocked over the bowl, grabbed a mouthful took them for a spin, hubby tried to RAKE the rest, they coiled around the rake...I am screaming from the sliding glass door...."THEY ARE ALL OVER THE YARD NOW YOU IDIOTS", my daughter grabs her phone to video and then my chihuhua bounces out the house and OMG those snakes would eat him (yes he is my world).

This is where I grabbed my dog, made myself a drink and haven't looked in the backyard since. There is no noise...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not certain what kind they are, but I know all the poisonous ones around here and those aren't any of the poisonous ones. There is a common garden snake around these parts that, as Night Owl said, eats bugs. If you don't live right next to a creek, or right on the edge of the city, garden snakes will hopefully be the only ones you see.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish the photos were clear. I like identifying snakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not certain what kind they are, but I know all the poisonous ones around here and those aren't any of the poisonous ones. There is a common garden snake around these parts that, as Night Owl said, eats bugs. If you don't live right next to a creek, or right on the edge of the city, garden snakes will hopefully be the only ones you see.
    Thank you so much. I tried to take a good pic, but I am deathly afraid of snakes...(even so I wanted them RELEASED in a field ACROSS from my house...Jesus I am an idiot. My dog ate two (we think) so that is doubly good news. I document EVERYTHING and today on my calender I put snakes/dogs/YUK.

We do have a water "area" next to us and little traffic flow.

I know people like this kind of crap....this is my hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish the photos were clear. I like identifying snakes.
    YUK

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like snakes any better, but this is funny.

My husband does the critter thing. I take his word for it, whatever he tells me.

He finds frogs, spiders that look like tarantulas, lizards, and all kinds of creepy things. Loves to jar 'em and put them on the kitchen table. Since we raised two boys, I've learned to suck it up. My only girl is into the creepy stuff as well.

If you have uncovered their nesting spot, then they should find another either somewhere else in your yard or they'll move on. I doubt the momma snake is coming after you. She's probably dreaming of a snake's version of a stiff drink right now....
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”Edmund Burke
    “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”Martin Luther King, Jr.

10. Likes Night Owl, Brian McCall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The snakes in the picture are harmless though their specie cannot be readily identified. They appear to me to be adult DeKays snakes who may have gathered in your moist environment to find earthworms and grubs, their primary diet, which cannot be found in your neighbors' dessicated environments. At any rate, few snakes have live young. Nor do snakes stay around to guard their brood so I don't believe you have to worry about "momma" snake being around.

12. Likes Night Owl liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast