PDA

View Full Version : Losing my Lab

FieryPrincess
February 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
She's a lab mix (part greyhound).

I am not sure if she'll last the night. If she does, then we'll take her in tomorrow and have her checked and (most likely) euthanized.

I've been around dogs my whole life and I recognize the look of "the end"

She has been a wonderful dog and I don't want her to hurt just because we can't say goodbye.

I didn't really know where else to share this little tidbit, but I needed to share somewhere.

I just keep getting up and checking on her from time to time and trying to keep her as comfortable as we can.

And I am trying to focus on the fun memories like when we brought her home as a puppy and carefully placed her in the backyard with the new fence only to watch her walk right between the fence and the house.

Or how she was always there to take care of the kids.

Or a million other wonderful little memories.

lovekids
February 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Saying goodbye is so difficult. Try to focus on those wonderful memories as hard as it is, and may you and your family make it through tonight and tomorrow. I'll say a prayer for your sweet dog.

prideworks
February 18th, 2011, 7:32 AM
She's a lab mix (part greyhound).

I am not sure if she'll last the night. If she does, then we'll take her in tomorrow and have her checked and (most likely) euthanized.

I've been around dogs my whole life and I recognize the look of "the end"

She has been a wonderful dog and I don't want her to hurt just because we can't say goodbye.

I didn't really know where else to share this little tidbit, but I needed to share somewhere.

I just keep getting up and checking on her from time to time and trying to keep her as comfortable as we can.

And I am trying to focus on the fun memories like when we brought her home as a puppy and carefully placed her in the backyard with the new fence only to watch her walk right between the fence and the house.

Or how she was always there to take care of the kids.

Or a million other wonderful little memories.

I am so sorry you have to go through this process, but I'm very glad you have her for as long as you have. I know "the look" all too well. Please feel free to share whatever you need too.

Night Owl
February 18th, 2011, 7:37 AM
This is a tough time. I just went through it and it isn't easy. Remember the good times. She was a blessed puppy to be in your home.

Iteachtoo
February 18th, 2011, 9:06 AM
I have a Lab-Greyhound mix, they are the greatest dogs in the world. She is blessed to have you, and you were doubly blessed to have her. This is the big downside to pet ownership, but I would rather have this, than never knowing the unconditional love a pet brings into your life.

FieryPrincess
February 18th, 2011, 4:47 PM
I think it is the unconditional love that makes it so hard to say goodbye.

we did have to put her down. She had lost 17 pounds in 4 months. Cancer.

we didn't even see our vet, but that's probably just as well since the paperwork they faxed over indicated a noticeable problem in October that was never discussed with us.

sad day in our house.

thanks to everyone for your support. I do appreciate it.

stormy
February 18th, 2011, 6:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy FP. It's so heartbreaking...My thoughts are with you and your family.

siamcat
February 18th, 2011, 7:10 PM
I'm so sorry. It's hard to lose a pet since they're part of our family.

SamBrown
February 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
FP, thinking about you and your family. Cherish the fun and wonderful memories you all have of her. Keep some pics around the house; they will make you smile many times over. Sending love your way:07:

Night Owl
February 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
My prayers are with you at this trying time. Memories are forever, cherish them.

joyohjoy
February 19th, 2011, 9:01 AM
She will be in your heart forever. Remember the good times. What a blessing it is to have gods creatures in our lives for what ever time they give us.

bbh
February 20th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I just now saw this, and I feel for you and your family. It's been 10 years since we lost our little Katie, and we still miss her. Please accept my condolences and know that there are so many others who can really empathize with your sadness.

You may have seen this before. Someone sent it to us when we lost our Katie. I still cry when I read it. I hope it's okay to pass it on to you.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Night Owl
February 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Beautiful. I received that poem when I lost my Sheltie.

DollTeacher
February 21st, 2011, 2:52 PM
I just read this too. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers go to you and your family. I understand. We lost our beloved lab of 12 years this past summer. Our heart still aches for her. We did get another lab, I call her our "healing pup". It helps some but you can never replace another or the memories you and your family shared. Rainbow Bridge helped me too. Talk care!

Deb
February 21st, 2011, 3:17 PM
I lost 3 pets last year, FP. I came home from running errands and found my ferret dead getting into his bed. That was June 16. Then on July 14, I had to put my 18 year old cocker spaniel down because he was in pain and couldn't get up to go outside to pee and was peeing all over himself. Then on September 25, one of my pomeranians had a heart attack and passed away immediately. It was my new cocker spaniel who found her in my computer room under the bed. Her passing was such a shock. She passed away the same way her "daddy" did in Portland, OR. I had to get that information about the pomeranian from a animal communicator.

You have my condolences, FP. I know how bad it hurts.

Rick
February 22nd, 2011, 3:24 AM
So sorry to hear this FP.