PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Congresswoman wants to ban military from NASCAR sponsorships:

TheOldProgrammer
February 16th, 2011, 8:18 AM
Maybe we should put a ban on this bimbo... :smoke

Rep. Betty McCollum wants to put the brakes on the Defense Department's 10-year sponsorship deal with NASCAR racing teams, saying the multimillion-dollar recruiting effort is a waste of money. The Minnesota Democrat is also dubious that stock car sponsorship has much to do with enlistment numbers or troop readiness. "This is not only putting a sticker on the car. This is paying for a racing team," Ms. McCollum's chief of staff, Bill Harper, told Washington Wire. "That doesn't contribute to military readiness." The amendment is one of more than 400 that lawmakers want attached to Rep. Paul Ryan's spending bill to fund the government through Sept. 30. Ms. McCollum's office estimates the Pentagon has spent more than $100 million on its own NASCAR teams. Col. Derik Crotts, director of the army's sponsorship, told Washington Wire in an email that the Army spends $7 million a year on its racing team, and finds it valuable. "Youth surveys show that motorsports is a passion point for young Americans," wrote Col. Crotts. "It is critical that the Army use these passion points to communicate with prospects and their influencers." He continued, "In a 2009 among nationwide fans, 37% feel more positive about the Army due to its involvement in motorsports."(Wall Street Journal)(2-16-2011)

THEMEANOGRE
February 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Sports sponsorship is a form of advertising. And in some cases, like motorsports, provides a venue for using some of the skills that one can learn in the military. Can that legislator really be as dense as that?

Rick
February 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I'd rather see them drop this than drop troop strength or benefits.

Sure, people might use Old Spice, or choose Home Depot over Lowe's because of their loyalty to their driver, but a life decision like going into the Army because it's on the hood of a race car? I have my doubts.

Brian McCall
February 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Agree with Rick. It's another one of those spending items that needs to be revisited in light of our current reality.

Night Owl
February 16th, 2011, 8:59 PM
NASCAR should put military recruiting slogans on all there cars, for free.

finalbowser
February 16th, 2011, 9:42 PM
I never see the military sponsored cars. 30th place doesn't get you much camera time.

Night Owl
February 16th, 2011, 9:48 PM
The Army car has done well on the quarter mile track.

THEMEANOGRE
February 16th, 2011, 9:50 PM
I remember years ago the Snake and the Mongoose drag racers. The Army sponsored one and the Navy sponsored the other. And Kenny Rogers and the First Edition did an Air Force commercial.

TheOldProgrammer
February 18th, 2011, 3:09 PM
Here are a couple of updates on this... Doesn't it just figure that the Demoncrats voted for this and the Republicans didn't... Did she really think she had a chance? :smoke

UPDATE: Congresswoman Betty McCollum's amendment to ban military sponsorship of NASCAR teams suffered a defeat Friday night but she is pressing forward with the amendment. After a brief period of debate on the amendment, which McCollum introduced Monday, a voice vote was held with the no votes prevailing. McCollum (D-Minn.), however, "demanded a recorded vote and the Chair postponed further proceedings on the question of adoption of the amendment until a time to be announced,'' according to the website for the Office of the Cleak for the U.S. House of Representatives. So, the matter is not dead. In essence, she wants everyone's vote to be recorded publicly instead of hidden behind a voice vote.(Virginian Pilot)(2-18-2011)
Death Threat: Democratic U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum received a death threat on Wednesday over her proposal to end Pentagon funding for NASCAR. McCollum said she thinks the army-sponsored car is a waste of taxpayers' money and should be eliminated. The fax received by her office contained vulgar language directed at the congresswoman, telling her to shut her (expletive) "pie hole," and featured a cartoon of President Barack Obama's head being pulled behind a truck in a noose. The letter also called for the deaths of all Marxists, and referred to the president, McCollum and Attorney General Eric Holder as "Marxist thugs." The violent imagery and phrases come just one month after Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a campaign rally, despite public campaigns for more reasoned and respectful political discourse.(myfoxtwincities.com)(2-18-2011)
House rejects congresswoman's effort to stop NASCAR sponsorship: The House has voted to let the Pentagon continue using taxpayer dollars to sponsor NASCAR race teams. By a 281-148 vote, lawmakers rejected an effort by Minnesota Democratic Rep. Betty McCollum that would have ended the practice. McCollum aides said the Army is spending $7 million on a sponsorship this year, and the Air Force and National Guard are spending additional money. Most Democrats backed McCollum's effort, while Republicans voted overwhelmingly against it.(Associated Press)(2-18-2011)

Night Owl
February 18th, 2011, 3:50 PM
I'm on the fence on this one. Taxpayer money going to NASCAR isn't my idea of $$$ well spent. On the Other Hand, the military gets benefits from this advertising.

Rick
February 18th, 2011, 4:34 PM
That's right, they are going to advertise.

I wonder if this congresswoman was against GM and Chrysler advertising during the Super Bowl. After all, they still owe us our bail-out money.