PDA

View Full Version : Convenient and Effective New Product Available for Dogs in March!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
January 31st, 2011, 6:29 PM
A new combination heartworm preventative/flea control pill is expected to be available in mid-March. The product, Trifexis, is a combination of milbemycin for heartworm prevention and spinosad for flea control. The tablets will have to be given once monthly and in our area should be given year-round. Puppies as young as 8 weeks of age can take the product. Product should be used with caution in dogs with a history of seizures.

Pricing information is encouraging as it appears that this product will be priced less than purchasing them separately.

All dogs greater than 6 months of age should receive a heartworm test before starting any heartworm preventive therapy and should be re-tested annually. Contact your veterinarian about this exciting new product.

Spartan
January 31st, 2011, 10:28 PM
How is the price of this new product going to compare with the monthly topical treatment?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
February 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
How is the price of this new product going to compare with the monthly topical treatment?

The information that I have seen appears to suggest that the "combo" product will cost slightly less than what one would spend on a topical flea control product and an oral heartworm preventative. Each clinic will price their product based upon their own situation but I'll post my pricing as soon as it's official. I think the biggest benefit will be the convenience of one pill that does it all and the fact that there will be no sticky or oily residue on the hair of the dog. Also, I neglected to mention that this product will protect against hookworms, roundworms and whipworms.

dogluvr
February 12th, 2011, 6:34 AM
Will this be a good option for a dog already being treated for heartworm? We are still fostering Tramp (Honey) and have been told she has started her heartworm treatments.

Rick
August 10th, 2011, 9:00 AM
Dr. Buckley, do you have a price update yet?

Someone at work mentioned this today.

dawglover
August 10th, 2011, 9:09 AM
A new combination heartworm preventative/flea control pill is expected to be available in mid-March. The product, Trifexis, is a combination of milbemycin for heartworm prevention and spinosad for flea control. The tablets will have to be given once monthly and in our area should be given year-round. Puppies as young as 8 weeks of age can take the product. Product should be used with caution in dogs with a history of seizures.

Pricing information is encouraging as it appears that this product will be priced less than purchasing them separately.

All dogs greater than 6 months of age should receive a heartworm test before starting any heartworm preventive therapy and should be re-tested annually. Contact your veterinarian about this exciting new product.

My dogs have already received Trifexis from the Belton Vet Clinic. Since Trifexis is available in Belton, why do Killeen Vets have to wait another 7 monthsuntil March 2012 to get it?

xzochye
August 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My dogs have already received Trifexis from the Belton Vet Clinic. Since Trifexis is available in Belton, why do Killeen Vets have to wait another 7 monthsuntil March 2012 to get it?

I believe he was referring to March 2011. He started this thread in January 2011.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Trifexis has been available at our clinic for months. I cannot speak to whether or not other local clinics have chosen to carry this product in their pharmacy. We have had a wonderful response from our clients about this product and are very happy with it.

At our clinic, the pricing is between $112 and $121 for a six month supply. There are sizes for dogs beginning at 5 pounds up to 120 pounds.