PDA

View Full Version : Two Years and Running!

Rick
January 29th, 2011, 5:09 AM
Can you believe it? Two years ago today, Scarlett and I opened the forum and invited people to join.

Thanks to all who have stuck it out with us! :thumbsup

SamBrown
January 29th, 2011, 9:43 AM
Hey, happy anniverary to "mission control"; good job... keep it going. Are we having cake and ice cream;)

Scarlett
January 29th, 2011, 9:50 AM
Mmmm...I like cake!
:07:

Rick
January 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Yum!
http://www.oldirwinlodge.com/images/home_pictures/Dinner%20Menu/Chocolate%20Cake.jpg

bbh
January 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I can't believe it's been two years! Congratulations to Rick and Scarlett for their hard work. And Happy Anniversary to the community of posters who come here to find out what's going on and what others are thinking. Where else can you go and with a few keystrokes...

* Have heated discussions about local, state, national, and international issues.
* Learn the latest fast-breaking news.
* Find out which books and movies are the best and the worst.
* Discover which restaurants to go to and which ones to avoid.
* Get recommendations on travel destinations.
* Learn the best place to get your car fixed.
* Get tips on house cleaning and lawn care.
* Receive support and information on dealing with aging parents.
* Express your frustrations and opinions on how to deal with raising children.
* Vent and resolve issues relating to the workplace.
* Be soundly put in your place when you need it.
* Soundly put others in their place when they need it.
* Learn how to use a computer gradebook when it seems overwhelmingly un-usable.
* Find out that you are an "old dog" who CAN learn new tricks.
* Learn where the "deals" are and where they aren't.
* Get your blood pressure up.
* Bring your blood pressure down.
* Get support, empathy, sympathy, and -- sometimes -- a swift kick in the metaphorical pants when you need it.
* Make friends that you would have never known without this forum; discover that someone who was an "enemy" on another forum is one of the really good guys and a true friend. (You know who you are. :-) )

Happy Anniversary, guys!

Scarlett
January 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
But not too much cake....just saying....

CenTexDave
January 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Just one piece of chocolate cake, and............3 or 4 chocolate martinis!!
Congrats you two. Is great.

circle_c
January 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Truly a good job. I appreciate being a member of the forum and all the hard work you and your admin has provided to make this one of the better forums in TX.
The fact that you allow members to help construct its applications speaks for itself. Thanks.

olddowntownguy
January 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Thank You so much for your forum. It has been liberating to be able to participate in the discussions. Overall, although some of us may disagree on many subjects, I really feel the people on this forum respect the ability for each of us to express their view point. I feel privileged to be part of it.

Mestral
January 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, yes, and your bragging rights.

I posted that you had 164 members with 20 or more posts in Sep 2009.
Now it is 247 members with at least 25 posts each.
(this was 246 a month ago)

I don't know how many members check in on an average day, but it looks to me like about 160 to 175 or so.

Burger King
January 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I joined this website back in 2009 when I was browsing on the Killeen Daily Herald forum and out of nowhere, there was a new website called centextalk.com. I moved to this website and never looked back.

Scarlett
January 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I joined this website back in 2009 when I was browsing on the Killeen Daily Herald forum and out of nowhere, there was a new website called centextalk.com. I moved to this website and never looked back.
That was our goal! Yay us!!!

Yve
January 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Congrats. Overall, great place you have here. Thanks for everything!!!

THEMEANOGRE
January 29th, 2011, 1:29 PM
I joined when it first opened and have enjoyed myself ever since. Thanks to the admins and the others who make this a great place to come and hang out.

Spartan
January 29th, 2011, 3:42 PM
The guys that brought me her have left. I'm still here and plan to celebrate the 10th anniversary with you.

siamcat
January 29th, 2011, 4:29 PM
Congrats and great job!:thumbsup

kantwin
January 29th, 2011, 4:52 PM
I joined on opening day.
Even though I don't live in Texas anymore, I still enjoy keeping up.
Congrats!

Iteachtoo
January 29th, 2011, 5:51 PM
I love this forum, thanks for taking time out of your busy days to keep it running. I think I would be lost without it!:-)

JETT
January 29th, 2011, 7:52 PM
Happy Anniversary.... Been hooked every since..

The Torii Fox
January 29th, 2011, 7:57 PM
I still love telling people (from my perspective anyway) about how CTT sprang up,in part at least, in response to the old KDH forum censoring people who were appropriately critical of bad journalism. The whole idea of "if you don't like it, then go start your own forum" is something that most folks find so daunting that they never try, and I think (without trying to sound too cheesy) liberty suffers as a result. Thanks to Rick and Scarlett for actually taking that step, and showing that it can not only be successful but more so than the original. And in a nonviolent, nonthreatening, but still pretty powerful transition, we replaced the KDH Forum (at least the closed it down due to inactivity about a year later, not sure if it ever came back up, was never inclined to go back).

I like your new signature line, Spartan.

Rick
January 29th, 2011, 9:29 PM
You all are too kind. Thanks!

Mestral
January 30th, 2011, 9:33 AM
I still love telling people (from my perspective anyway) about how CTT sprang up,in part at least, in response to the old KDH forum censoring people who were appropriately critical of bad journalism. The whole idea of "if you don't like it, then go start your own forum" is something that most folks find so daunting that they never try, and I think (without trying to sound too cheesy) liberty suffers as a result. Thanks to Rick and Scarlett for actually taking that step, and showing that it can not only be successful but more so than the original. And in a nonviolent, nonthreatening, but still pretty powerful transition, we replaced the KDH Forum (at least the closed it down due to inactivity about a year later, not sure if it ever came back up, was never inclined to go back).

I like your new signature line, Spartan.

I second this. I too was mulling over the idea of creating a forum such as this, but the idea was "daunting." (I did some programming back in the 90's and moderated a couple of boards a few years back) I suspect the total work Rick and Scarlett (and probably others that I am not aware of) have put into this effort would no longer be hundreds, but has likely run into a couple thousand hours.

CenTexDave
January 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I, too, remember the KDH Forum. What killed them and started this talk board was the articles they wrote on some supposed homeless lady and her teenage son. One of the hotels put them up for a couple of nights. I, and many others, had questions about all this, for instance why wasn't the kid in school, etc. Turned out that basically that homeless woman was nothing but a con artist. The KDH, in their infinite wisdom, never apologized to their readers and never ran an article about their mistakes. So enter Rick and Scarlett. Congrats you two on a kick ass talk board that gets the info out to the people.

finalbowser
March 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The most members online over 24 hours was 391, March 10th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Congrats on hitting another milestone!

dragonfly
March 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe our own newspaper in the future? :)

THEMEANOGRE
March 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
See if KDH printing will print it for us! Hee Hee8-;

Mestral
March 13th, 2011, 3:58 PM

I would be all for that.

See if KDH printing will print it for us! Hee Hee8-;

OOps, I was thinking PDF version :)

kantwin
March 13th, 2011, 4:03 PM
The way some topics go, it would be purely a gossip newspaper. . . LOL

Mestral
March 13th, 2011, 4:32 PM
Yes, but we could do some mighty powerful, in depth discussions, as well as bring some very immediate ( can anyone say print in a minute?) news.

Rick
March 13th, 2011, 4:33 PM

How's that different from the KDH? Except that the spelling's better here. :bluerofl

kantwin
March 13th, 2011, 4:35 PM
How's that different from the KDH? Except that the spelling's better here. :bluerofl
Very good point.
But, we have the Mighty Trifecta Members who are never, ever wrong.

Rick
March 13th, 2011, 4:38 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

kantwin
March 13th, 2011, 5:05 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :)
Sure gets annoying, knowing that there are only a few perfect people in the world, and I ain't one of them.

Texas Immigrant
March 13th, 2011, 6:39 PM

We could call it CTT: Cen Tex Tattler :)