PDA

View Full Version : My Ungrateful Cat

Scarlett
February 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Last night I got home from raquetball and I had no power in my house. Seems somebody had a seizure while driving and plowed down a power pole and took out my neighbors new fence.
So my kids and I were sittin the a dark house, realizing that I really need to buy more than one flashlight, and I decided to light some candles.
Well, while the kids were playing their 30th round of "Mother-May-I" and I was about to scream from pure boredom, to dog took off chasing the cat.
Smart cat, she knows to jump up on a table in the living room to escape the dog.
Dumb cat, she apparently doesn't know that candles are dangerous.
I looked over at the cat, who was staring down at the dog, and realized her tail was a flame!!! I ran across the room, grabbed a dish towel on the way, leapt over the sofa, and beat the flames out of the cat.
Do you think for one moment that damn cat appreciated me? Hell no. She is still pissed off...ungrateful animal.
I think the dog thought it was funny though.

Now my house smells like burnt hair. At least the power finally came back on.....

Rick
February 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
That's funny. :)) :hopmad

xzochye
February 6th, 2009, 1:20 PM
I have 2 cats and 2 dogs (not all really by choice but that's another story) and there is never a dull moment with them around!

mainer
February 6th, 2009, 2:49 PM
I'd give a potload of cash to have seen that!!! Too funny....

Cats apparently hold grudges. Heard a story once about a cat that got into a clothes dryer with damp towels. The unsuspecting cat owner turned on the dryer (on high/hot), and after several minutes heard the awful thump-thump. When she opened the dryer and untangled the towels....there was the unconscious cat. Since they lived far away from the closest vet, they called instead. Whoever they talked to in the vet's office told them to quickly try an icy cold enema. The cat's eyes immediately burst open -- boiiing! -- and the cat ran all around the house, all over the furniture, depositing icy cold whatever!!!! The cat was okay after that...except for a strange kind of tilted walk....but it would never have anything to do with them again. Guess it was holding a grudge.

BTW...we just had a skunk get under our deck and spray (we think it was directed toward an armadillo). We are still fighting the hideous, noxious odor inside our house. Do you wanna trade smells??????? :ymtongue:

CenTexDave
February 6th, 2009, 5:33 PM
Many, many, many years ago (a long time ago) I had a cat do a similar act. I lit a large candle and placed it and the holder on the coffee table and sat back on the couch. The cat was a long haired cat. He decided to come bounding over the coffee table and jump on me. He jumped onto the coffee table, walked right next to the burning candle and managed to catch himself on fire. I immediately grabbed whatever I could (can't remember what now) and put out the flames. Of course you could smell burnt hair. The cat never even realized he was about to be roasted. He rubbed up against me, purred, then turned around, jumped back onto the coffee table for an encore performance!! Had to extinguish him again. I still don't think he had a clue what was happening. He never held a grudge, but I never lit another candle when he was around.

the pink pastry
February 7th, 2009, 12:07 AM
That is too funny... :D I haven't been on because I didn't sleep last night because my daughter (my miniature dashund) decided to have puppies. Well she had some, and them some more and we ended up with 7 little weenie pups. I didn't even think that was possible. So..... if anyone is willing to give these little guys a good home in about 8 weeks, we would appreciate it. There are 4 females and 3 males, they are uniquely colored including some dapples, some white ones with spots etc. (-|

Scarlett
February 7th, 2009, 12:24 AM
You giving em away or selling them?
I may know someone who would want one.
Let me know and I will pass it on.

Update: My cat still smells like burnt hair. BUT, she did sit with me tonight in the bed, so I guess she is not still hating me!

Scarlett
February 7th, 2009, 1:34 PM

Cats apparently hold grudges. Heard a story once about a cat that got into a clothes dryer with damp towels. The unsuspecting cat owner turned on the dryer (on high/hot), and after several minutes heard the awful thump-thump. When she opened the dryer and untangled the towels....there was the unconscious cat. Since they lived far away from the closest vet, they called instead. Whoever they talked to in the vet's office told them to quickly try an icy cold enema. The cat's eyes immediately burst open -- boiiing! -- and the cat ran all around the house, all over the furniture, depositing icy cold whatever!!!! The cat was okay after that...except for a strange kind of tilted walk....but it would never have anything to do with them again. Guess it was holding a grudge.

BTW...we just had a skunk get under our deck and spray (we think it was directed toward an armadillo). We are still fighting the hideous, noxious odor inside our house. Do you wanna trade smells??????? :ymtongue:

Do people keep ice cold enemas on hand as a rule? Or enemas in general? Hmm...interesting...
And HELL NO, I would NOT want to trade smells.

mainer
February 7th, 2009, 2:15 PM
Do people keep ice cold enemas on hand as a rule? Or enemas in general? Hmm...interesting...
And HELL NO, I would NOT want to trade smells.

It was quite a few years ago, and I guess some people did keep enemas on hand....I seem to remember one in my house when I was a kid. I lived in terror that I might have to be given one sometime! As I recall with this incident, they were told to fill it with ice water...minus the ice cubes, of course. Otherwise, that would just be cruel, huh??? =))

Skunk update.....we followed advice (among many other remedies) recommended to us that we put a high-dollar filter in the heating/ac unit that was sprayed with a concentrated citrus something-or-other. Now it smells like a skunk that has been rolling in oranges.

Night Owl
February 8th, 2009, 1:44 PM
These are perfect examples of why the only good cat is a "dead" cat. However, I love dogs. have four (two Shelties and two dashunds). One is normal size and the other is a miniature. I will also ask, are you selling or giving away?

Deb
February 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Night Owl, glad to know I'm not the only one who's not fond of cats, even tho my dad had one that wasn't to bad. A friend of mine from Marietta, GA, who used to be on Free Speech Forum told me I needed to adopt a cat. I told her "No Way!", especially since I'm big time allergic to them. On a scale of 0-3, I'm a 3+. My dad's cat would rub against me and I'd break out in hives, itch, scratch, sneeze, wheeze, cough, etc. Plus 2 of my dogs can't stand cats either. I've got 5 dogs, Night Owl. A standard poodle, mini poodle, cocker spaniel, and 2 pomeranians. I'm the 3rd owner of one of the pomeranians.

Night Owl
February 9th, 2009, 1:38 PM
One of my Shelties and one of the dashunds are rescue dogs. Families had them and the "kids" outgrew them. They are both wonderful pups and I can't understand why people want to dump them. X( :hopmad :explode

Deb
February 9th, 2009, 7:42 PM
My standard poodle is the only one who came from a breeder. The mini poodle was "dumped" at Petsmart one Saturday morning by his previous owner while Arizona Animal Rescue and Sanctuary was there. When I got him from the rescue organization, he really craved attention, and pestered me for the first couple of days for attention. My cocker spaniel also came from a no-killrescue organization in the Colorado foothills 9 years ago. The pomeranians belonged to Highwayman, who was on Free Speech Forums. He died on January 20, 2007, and Shotzee and Taffee were orphaned. His brother didn't want them, so the girls were homed temporarily with a neighbor till I adopted them and flew them back to Phoenix with me. Of course I had to call the airline to see about getting them on the plane with me. That cost me $80/dog to get them in the cab of the plane. I didn't want them put into the luggage hold of the plane to sit there for God knows how long. They flew real well under the seat in front of me and didn't make a sound till we took the bus to the parking lot from terminal 4. Then I let them out of the crates to sit in the back seat to ride till we got to the Petsmart Pet Hotel to pick up everybody else. The pictures of Taffee and Shotzee are posted at Free Speech Forum.

onemoreguitarist
February 13th, 2009, 9:48 AM

But would you give a cashload of pot? Oh wait, that is another thread.

I agree with the Dennis Leary thinking on cats and dogs. In brief, cats are pure evil, useless, and greedy. Dogs are loving and way more intelligent. He makes the point this way. Ever hear of a seeing-eye cat? How about a bomb-sniffing cat? A drug-sniffing cat? A rescue cat?

I see a cat and think....hmmm, wonder if it tastes like chicken. :))

Scarlett
February 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
We had a lady come and talk to us teachers. She said all people are either, at the core, a dog or a cat.
Dog people are loyal, trustworthy, loving, caring, compasionate, giving, happy to see you, always cheerful...ect...
Cat people are standoffish, will give love when THEY are in the mood to give love, possessive, like to be alone, moody, sneaky, not so into PDA, can be easily distracted by simple things...ect...

Yeah, not too hard to tell what I am...

CenTexDave
February 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
So if you take off that witch's hat, you're actually a green chessire cat?

Proud Texan
February 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
OMG this is one of the funiest threads I have ever read. Thanks for the laughs. :)) =))

Deb
February 13th, 2009, 5:07 PM
When I was a kid living in the Kansas City area, we had a ferel cat take up residence under our front porch. When the dog snuck out front, she would go immediatly to the front porch and get her head under the big crack that was there from the concrete settling and the sidewalk separated from the step. One day we heard a growling coming from the step and know it wasn't Blackie's. My dad grabed his flashlight from his trunk and went and checked it out. There was a ferel cat against the foudation of the house growling away at the dog. My dad used the hose to spray at the cat, but that just made it mad. He finally called animal control, and they sent out a van and employee to catch the cat. The guy asked my dad if he cared how the cat was caught. My dad told him to to whatever he needed to do to get rid of the thing. So the guy got his catch pole and got it around the cat's neck and yanked it out holding the cat at a safe distance from everybody. He managed to get the cat into a cage in the van and told us it would have to be put down since it was so ferel. Needless to say, Blackie ate good that afternoon. She was well worth the $5 my dad paid for her at the humane society. About the only GOOD thing I could say about that cat is we didn't have a mouse problem for a little bit. And I've got more of the "cat person" traits than anything, but I'm not fond of cats, even though I wouldn't hurt one intentionally.

asimalves
February 13th, 2009, 8:29 PM
Hey scarlett...saw the same woman...I found that cat and dog trait chat interesting. I think I run in the middle. Now, though, when I look at people I tend too wonder if they have more dog or cat traits and how we all manage to get along....!

Scarlett
February 13th, 2009, 8:36 PM
Somedays I feel like I am a cat in a room that is filled with two seperate packs of wild dogs in my classroom.... X_X

siamcat
February 15th, 2009, 6:09 PM
=))
Did the lady say anything about people that are pet people?
We have an old ornery cat, a dog that's a big baby, and two birds. At one time we had rats as well.
Maybe I just pick how I want to be on any given day :bounce

sickofpc
February 16th, 2009, 1:27 PM
Aren't most women pu, uh, cats and most men dogs? :tomato1

Deb
February 16th, 2009, 1:48 PM
I know of a lot of women who don't like cats. In fact, I know of only one lady who is a cat person. The rest are dog people.

FieryPrincess
February 16th, 2009, 1:59 PM
I am a dog person.

My husband is a cat person.

sickofpc
February 17th, 2009, 9:20 AM
Uh, actually, I was kinda sorta making a joke, but....anyways....Princess, I don't really know many men that are cat people...but, I am sure there are some.

Night Owl
February 17th, 2009, 6:00 PM
those are not real men!!!!! :bouncing :bounce

circle_c
January 24th, 2010, 5:14 PM
Thought some of you may enjoy this, if you have not seen it before.....http://www.flixxy.com/dog-loves-cat.htm

kryptickancer
January 24th, 2010, 7:37 PM
That is too funny... :D I haven't been on because I didn't sleep last night because my daughter (my miniature dashund) decided to have puppies. Well she had some, and them some more and we ended up with 7 little weenie pups. I didn't even think that was possible. So..... if anyone is willing to give these little guys a good home in about 8 weeks, we would appreciate it. There are 4 females and 3 males, they are uniquely colored including some dapples, some white ones with spots etc. (-|

I would love to have one of these! Keep me in mind! :)

kryptickancer
January 24th, 2010, 7:37 PM
Uh, actually, I was kinda sorta making a joke, but....anyways....Princess, I don't really know many men that are cat people...but, I am sure there are some.

My hubby LOVES cats.. He HATES dogs.. He puts up with em cause he loves me.

THEMEANOGRE
January 24th, 2010, 7:42 PM
Dogs are cool. I don't care for cats. But they adore me. When I'm around they go out of their way to ingratiate themselves to me.