PDA

View Full Version : Cove is the best team to never win the big one

dawglover
November 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
The Copperas Cove Bulldawgs are probably the best high school football team in Texas history to have never won a state championship. This is beginning to look like their legacy. This is not a bad legacy. It is still a great winning legacy. It's just that it is so, well, "incomplete."

RooDawg
November 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
The Copperas Cove Bulldawgs are probably the best high school football team in Texas history to have never won a state championship. This is beginning to look like their legacy. This is not a bad legacy. It is still a great winning legacy. It's just that it is so, well, "incomplete."

First of all...it is very, very hard to win a state title in 5A...even though there are two divisions the 5A classification is uncapped with enrollment numbers...Cove has always been closer to 4A numbers than an average 5A enrollment...if Cove had been in 4A a couple of years ago when they had gone to the semi's they would have won one of those years...i have no doubt in my mind about that...

second...you have to have some good luck during your run to the state championship...you are playing 6 more games, almost a complete 2nd season...those extra games create more opportunities for injuries, more tired individuals, and possibly more grade problems...you also have to have some luck during the games...as the playoffs continue a team faces more challenging opponents and you have to have the ball bounce your way at times...

third...ANYONE CAN BEAT ANYONE ANY GIVEN NIGHT...especially now when there are so many teams in the playoffs...cove could face a district champion or a 4th place team but they still have to play the game...and playing the game at least gives the other team a chance to win...and sometimes the lesser quality team wins...

cove is a good team that would do wonderful things in 4A but lost a lot of talent the last couple of years and that has hurt them them in the 5A playoffs...plus, not having a consistent passing game gets them in trouble if they were to fall behind...

dawglover
November 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out a fact that they have a winning legacy but have never won the big one which, I think, is a bit of a disappointment. Like the title says, they are the best team in Texas history to never win the big one. That still make them winners and that is something to be proud of.

CenTexDave
November 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I read an article a couple of years ago on 5A Texas Football.com's website that Jack Welch was the best high school head coach to never have won a state championship.
It may be true.
For those not in the know - let me rehash some recent years past: the 2005 team was probably Cove's best all around team. Donald Buckrum was the RB. Rashad Hawk was the WR. The team had a great offensive line and a great defense - two first team all-staters. They lost to Lufkin in the Regional Finals. They could have easily won the state championship. The next two years Cove dropped to 4-A. Robert Griffin, Jerrad Milsap, Troy Vital - all all-staters. Two 4-A state championship appearances. They should have won at least one of them, but it was not to be. In 2008 a state semi -final appearance. Another loss, with another sub QB playing in the playoffs due to injury of the first team QB.
You have to peak at just the right time. Cove hasn't had any real size on the offensive line since the 2005 team.
Lots of people bash the coaches for not getting the team prepared correctly, but you have to go with what has worked all season, not change up all of a sudden because you are in the playoffs.
The Dawgs will continue to do well. This year's two JV teams both won district.

Agent X
November 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
The failure to win a state championship in no way diminishes the program that Jack Welch has built at Cove. Although a state championship is the ultimate accomplishment in Texas high school football, it probably results in some coaches getting a little too much credit and those that fall short receiving a little too much blame. Cove has a real "program" with outstanding coaches from 7th grade to the varsity level. Of course this is much easier to accomplish in a one high school town but it is still quite an accomplishment.

I wish Killeen ISD would hire some coaches with the same enthusiasm for winning and the skill set to get it done. The division of talent in KISD will always be a limiting factor but a competitive and respectful program can be achieved. Just look at Sam Jones and KHS!

cityboy
November 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The number of players they send to college is the most impressive thing, isn't it?

dawglover
November 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
The number of players they send to college is the most impressive thing, isn't it?

Yes cityboy. I agree with you.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2010, 3:59 PM
While having four high schools has diluted the talent among the four teams in Killeen, other cities appear to do just fine. Look at Round Rock - Round Rock McNeil was a great team a few years ago and now Round Rock Stony Point is. I think you guys need to look at the coaching, not the dilution of talent.

cnjbond
November 17th, 2010, 4:42 PM
Although coaching probably has a lot do with the sub par performances, I don't think you can compare RR with Killeen simply because KISD (and Cove for that matter) have a higher transient population. RR has kids that have gone from K-12 in the same city whereas our area has kids that have moved 3,4 maybe 5 times before they reach high school.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2010, 4:52 PM
Very true. Every city with 4 or 5 high schools has one or two of those schools that are the doormat of the district - Plano, Garland, Round Rock, Killeen, etc.
Shoemaker draws most of its students, I believe, from Fort Hood. That is definitely a transient student population, while HH I would think would have much less due to the military retiree factor out there.
But what about Temple? What's their excuse lately? One high school town, yet they have become absolutely horrible the past few years.

Agent X
November 17th, 2010, 5:20 PM
I wrote:

I wish Killeen ISD would hire some coaches with the same enthusiasm for winning and the skill set to get it done. The division of talent in KISD will always be a limiting factor but a competitive and respectful program can be achieved. Just look at Sam Jones and KHS!

Ellison, Heights and the Shoe had some talent this year. Certainly more than enough to win more than 6 mutha scratchin games between 'em! I'd run in 3 new head coaches and see what happens. It couldn't be any worse!

dawglover
November 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Has anyone factored in that the military also transfers in many superb athletes that other Texas districts don't get? I think it all evens out in the end and it could be argued that military districts might even have an edge. At the end of the day coaching is the key factor. Cove is a transient military town as well. Yet Jack Welsh always produces a perennial powerhouse that is respected and feared statewide. I don't think this transient military town BS washes anymore. It's a lame excuse in my opinion.

cnjbond
November 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Cove has, count em, one HS with feeder schools that are coached by his assistant coaches. I'm not taking anything away from Welch but as they say on NFL Live, "Come on Man", the deck is certainly stacked in their favor. So if the incoming and outgoing talent is balanced out in the end, where's the advantage? I agree that coaching plays an important part in how a team plays (see Cowboys) but to ignore "this transient military town BS", well that will just leave your clothes dirty.

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2010, 7:36 AM
So I guess Cove isn't a transient military town? And feeder schools? Two junior high schools. Count'em - 2. These "assistant coaches" of his are not that at all. They run a similar system, or at least try to, but there's a big difference between a 7th grader and a high school junior or senior. These "assistant coaches" are rewarded for their time and effort by being permitted by Jack Welch to prowl the sidelines during the varsity game.
Sure, being a one high school city has helped Cove. But again, Temple is a one high school city. Belton is a one high school city. Temple used to be a powerhouse. Belton has had its ups and downs the past few years.
Admit it - Cove just has a gem of a coach.

cnjbond
November 18th, 2010, 9:42 AM
I included Cove in my statement that it is a transient military town, stated I wasn't taking anything away from Welch (meaning he's a good coach) BUT, Cove is in a better situation than the Killeen schools. Having the JR high coaches run a similar system that the kids will see in HS, with a lot of the same players that will be playing in that system in HS is not an advantage? Having 2 count 'em 2 feeder schools is even better when it comes to implementing your system.

I don't know why the Coveians / Coveittes or whatever they're called get so defensive. It's not Cove's fault that they are in this situation, they've taken advantage of it as well they should. Apparently Temple and Belton aren't doing the right things to have a successful football program.

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Goes deeper than just the junior high schools, and it makes a big difference. Welch, when he first arrived here, went to the city park leagues which, at the time, were playing only touch football. He got P&R to switch to tackle, gave coaching clinics and got the entire attitude of coaches and players alike changed. Kids actually know the basics when they hit the junior highs.

RooDawg
November 18th, 2010, 7:59 PM
Goes deeper than just the junior high schools, and it makes a big difference. Welch, when he first arrived here, went to the city park leagues which, at the time, were playing only touch football. He got P&R to switch to tackle, gave coaching clinics and got the entire attitude of coaches and players alike changed. Kids actually know the basics when they hit the junior highs.

That's a great example of what is being said...Cove is DOING THE RIGHT THINGS AS A ONE HIGH SCHOOL TOWN...being a transient town, as cove is, is not the same as kisd schools being a transient district...the point is being made that cove is able to put in THEIR SYSTEM from the rec league all the way to the high school levels...KISD schools, on the other hand, do not put their systems in the rec leagues and the middle schools are rezoned every now and then...I will add that coaching does play a part...and i will stressed that coaching at the middle school level is VERY important when a high school is trying to instill their system...cove has good coaches at the middle school level...kisd has, for the most part, very poor coaches at the middle school level.

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2010, 9:18 PM
Then clean house and hire a bunch of newbies. Couldn't do any worse than they're doing now.

RooDawg
November 19th, 2010, 6:13 AM
Then clean house and hire a bunch of newbies. Couldn't do any worse than they're doing now.

exactly...and that's what we are pushing for...

Night Owl
November 19th, 2010, 7:26 AM
Must be nice to sit on the couch and talk about someone else and trying to take food out of their families mouth. And doing this because of a silly game that 95%+ won't play again after high school. Wow, what a greaqt example for the kids.

CenTexDave
November 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Put a sock in it, Owl. Nobody, except the head coach, is a full time coach. The others teach in school; so do many of the head coaches.

Agent X
November 19th, 2010, 6:06 PM
Must be nice to sit on the couch and talk about someone else and trying to take food out of their families mouth.

Come on Owl, they weren't talking about Mack Brown! :))

All employees should be evaluated for performance - if we aren't going to expect success then turn it all over to volunteers and give the money to the classroom teachers!

Night Owl
November 19th, 2010, 7:27 PM
Come on Owl, they weren't talking about Mack Brown! :))

All employees should be evaluated for performance - if we aren't going to expect success then turn it all over to volunteers and give the money to the classroom teachers!
:thumbsup:thumbsup I can agree with that plan of action.

Mack Brown will be fine!!:thumbsup

dawglover
November 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Welch is a football coaching genius. KISD coaches need to learn from him if they want his results.

RooDawg
November 21st, 2010, 7:58 AM
Welch is a football coaching genius. KISD coaches need to learn from him if they want his results.

KISD will never hire a FOOTBALL coach for any of its schools...KISD wants a program manager to accept low pay and not expect much support from them afterward...they want someone to not cause problems, dont ask for much, and do what is necessary to keep costs down...KISD does not care about their athletic programs like Cove does.