PDA

View Full Version : Temple Gets It!!

Agent X
November 10th, 2010, 9:09 AM
After 5 years of substandard performance and results, Temple ISD is parting ways with head football coach and athletic director Bryce Munsen. Temple is no longer and will never be the powerhouse they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's but at least the school board has enough pride in their program to not let it flounder in the basement.

Now consider the dismal record and history at Shoemaker and Ellison. Both programs under-achieve year after year and yet the silence from our school board and community is deafening. I guess we just don't give a ^%$% about results in KISD.

Come on school board, let the heads roll at Shoemaker and Ellison. Our student athletes deserve better.

RooDawg
November 10th, 2010, 9:39 AM
i wholeheartedly agree...

JohnKilleen
November 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Will be interesting to see who Temple gets for head coach. Seems to me that the real high profile guys are heading to the suburban area schools with big payrolls, big student body and new over the top stadiums. It is going to be hard to rebuild Temple's program, unless the outsiders back off and understand it is not a reincarnation of Bob McQueen.
Some of the same issues are there for KISD. One of our big issues here is the fact we have 4 high schools, with another possible in a few years. Low participation and a horrible record of attendance at games.

gnatsum
November 20th, 2010, 1:26 PM
Temple is the largest city in Texas that STILL has only ONE public high school! That says a lot...some of which I'm still trying to understand after many years of consideration:))
Many cities with multiple HSs wind up like Killeen, with kids from certain neighborhoods being locked into certain high schools, and the schools having to ride out periods where there's absolutely NO talented kids coming into the athletic programs.
Temple has the "luxury" of being like a small town's HS--being able to cultivate the athletic talent from the beginning of middle school--perhaps even in the elementary level or Pop Warner league--all the way through the kid's senior year.
Killeen, and Cove to a somewhat lesser extant, is hamstrung a bit with the military population's comings and goings. If a talented 7th-grader still going to be available to play by the time he or she hits the high school? Or is Mom or Dad going to be assigned to a base out of state, with only a 50% chance of coming BACK to the area by graduation?

Spartan
November 20th, 2010, 2:04 PM
And Temple has in the past had great success recruiting talent from other towns like Holland, Bartlett, Salado, Jarrell... by inducing the parents to move to Temple or at least claim a Temple address, while their sons are in High School.

JohnKilleen
November 20th, 2010, 9:47 PM
That is true Spartan especially when McQueen was coach. Right now the growth in Temple is on the west side where kids go to Belton ISD schools and the south side where they do to Acadamy. Temple ISD is not growing fast and Temple HS could be near 4a levels at next realignment.