PDA

View Full Version : EHS Football

JETT
October 25th, 2010, 7:28 PM
I'm disappointed in the EHS Football program. Not in the kids - because the effort is there but in the staff (it all starts at the top). It seems that the talent is there but the current system or philosophy just does not work. We continue to put our young athletes in situations that they can not succeed in.

I hope a change is in the horizon.

DiamondKing
October 25th, 2010, 7:42 PM
If you are diappointed in Ellison how about Shoemaker? They are going to be 0-20 the last 2 years.

RooDawg
October 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM
If you are diappointed in Ellison how about Shoemaker? They are going to be 0-20 the last 2 years.

and i dont see that record improving any time soon...i believe ellison is underachieving this year as well...i started the year saying that they would win 3 games...after my roos played heights i added that as a victory for the eagles to give them 4 wins on the year...i stand by that prediction...ellison will beat temple this week and shoemaker next week to finish the year 4-6 and 3-4 in district and miss the playoffs...

i can only imagine what Killeen High would do with just HALF of the talent that ellison has...in my opinion, i believe that Ellison has the MOST TALENT in town...

Agent X
October 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I sat in bewilderment last Friday evening as the Ellison Eagles drove the field with time running out on a potentially game winning drive to watch them NOT put the ball in the hands of arguably the most talented running back in the Centroplex and INSTEAD attempt to throw the football, a concept they have failed to master all year long.

This kind of coaching has been rearing its' ugly head all year and finally when something was really on the line it caught up with the "football genius" calling the plays. Then following this debacle, "Lombardi" makes Saturday morning practice optional and a whopping 8 players show up. Yes, that's right.....8. The Wade Phillips of Elms Road has mailed it in and has quit on his team. If my son played for this guy I'd be camped out in Tom Roger's office until he was relieved of his duties. Something I somehow think "Wade" would find to be a relief.

This ain't Lake Travis, Aledo or Westlake but it also ain't Austin ISD. We used to have some pride in this community and expected so much more. If we're gonna suit up a football team let's at least play until the end of the season regardless of what we have to play for. It's called pride.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Yes, David Cobb is an outstanding running back, but ever hear of a kid from Cove named William Randolph? He'd have twice the yards he now has if Orlando Thomas was back at WR instead of playing QB. A devastating 1-2 punch.

RooDawg
October 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, David Cobb is an outstanding running back, but ever hear of a kid from Cove named William Randolph? He'd have twice the yards he now has if Orlando Thomas was back at WR instead of playing QB. A devastating 1-2 punch.

come on dave...we're talking about ellison here...

Agent X
October 26th, 2010, 1:45 PM
Damn Dave, it ain't always about the Dogs. My point is that when faced with a critical situation the EHS coach passed over his best playmaker and opted to do what the Eagles' do the worst. There is no way that makes any sense.

As for Cobb, if you haven't seen him play I promise you he is an outstanding player. He is a fine young man, extremely bright and a natural ball carrier. I have heard that he may be headed to Stanford. I sure hope so. What an opportunity for this young man!

RooDawg
October 26th, 2010, 2:17 PM
I think that the ellison head man outthinks himself...i remember a quote he had after the killeen game that he didnt run cobb in the first half against the Roos because the Roos were keying on Cobb...Cobb only had 4 rushes in the first half...then in the second half Cobb had about 12 carries for 89 yards...ellison might have won if they had run cobb more...i have to admit that i was more than shocked when cobb didnt get the ball in the late moments against belton...

JETT
October 26th, 2010, 9:10 PM
RooDawg
Your giving him more credit than he deserves. When Ellison does score we have to call timeout because we are not sure if we go for one or two. No pre-planning or it's a complete surprise that we scored. No preparation

Scarlett
October 26th, 2010, 9:15 PM
I have several football players in my class. They seem to agree with most of what several of you say...

RooDawg
October 26th, 2010, 9:35 PM
I have several football players in my class. They seem to agree with most of what several of you say...

how sad....all i have to say is that there is no way that a coach allows his players to have the option to come into saturday morning film session when there is still two weeks left in the season and possibly two wins left for his team...what kind of example is he setting for his team by basically saying that they are going to change what they have been doing just because they are out of playoff contention?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
October 26th, 2010, 9:51 PM
all i have to say is that there is no way that a coach allows his players to have the option to come into saturday morning film session when there is still two weeks left in the season and possibly two wins left for his team

It is imperative that the head coach set the example and tone for his team both at game time and in preparation. Making film sessions optional once a playoff berth has gone by the way side signals to his team that maximum effort is no longer required and quitting is acceptable. I don't care if a team is 0-8 or 8-0 the coach and team should play until the whistle. This is disturbing to say the least.

Scarlett
October 26th, 2010, 9:58 PM
For the record, some of the players read this forum. I know this because they were talking about "Agent X" today after class. Then they asked me if I have heard of this forum and if I knew who that was cause they want him/her to talk to their coach...

DiamondKing
October 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Again is Shoemaker not 0 for their last 18

RooDawg
October 27th, 2010, 8:49 AM
Again is Shoemaker not 0 for their last 18

I wonder if coach gray at shoemaker is giving the grey wolves options of coming to saturday film sessions...

but since this is an ellison football thread we ought to put that question in another thread...i will tell you that you might not get much response...how much do the shoemaker folks really care that they have lost their last 19 games (i believe this current streak started with the playoff loss)...

Night Owl
October 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Why should anyone care about the Win-Lose column in HS football. Isn't it all about teaching students about team play?

cnjbond
October 27th, 2010, 1:32 PM
Because competition is about more than team play. It's not just sports, why are there school valedictorians, why can't all the kids who participated in school be number 1? I think people would be just as upset (actually we should be MORE upset) if our teachers weren't "helping" to prepare our kids for college (I know that's debateable with so much emphasis being placed on passing standardized testing). Besides, you can always join PE if you just want to make friends and not care whether you win or lose.

Agent X
October 27th, 2010, 1:41 PM
Why should anyone care about the Win-Lose column in HS football. Isn't it all about teaching students about team play?

Quitting on your team by not requiring them to finish the season with as much effort as they started is teaching them a bad lesson about team play, IMO.

Night Owl
October 27th, 2010, 9:17 PM
:thumbsup

RooDawg
October 28th, 2010, 8:05 AM
Quitting on your team by not requiring them to finish the season with as much effort as they started is teaching them a bad lesson about team play, IMO.

the responsibility of high school coaches is to develop their athletes to continue to strive to better themselves as an individual and a team...the bottom line is that if a student/athlete is being shown that it is ok to quit trying to improve just because there is no hope for the playoffs then that individual may not understand the importance of working through disappointment to better themselves later on in life...

We aren't going to make the playoffs...What do we do now? We call it quits and just take it easy the last couple of games?

or

We aren't going to make the playoffs...What do we do now? We work harder to make sure that we win these last two games and make them our playoffs.

Responsibilities of high school coaches should include the latter to prepare these kids for the future.

You will always have ups and downs in life...What you do after the downs determines how many more ups you will have.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Well put, RooDawg. I remember Jack Welch's first couple of seasons at Cove. He took over a miserable program, but he instilled discipline, pride and determination in his players. They may still have got blown out, but they never quit. And it paid off when they first beat Temple.

kantwin
October 28th, 2010, 5:05 PM
You always pass failure on the way to success.
- Mickey Rooney

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
November 2nd, 2010, 4:57 PM
Well, congratulations are in order for the Ellison Eagles! They handed the TemCats a serious whooping. It's always good to beat Temple - even when they have the worst team in the history of that program. David Cobb showed again just how special his skills are leaving me with even a bigger "head scratch" as to why he never touched the ball when it counted against Belton. If the Eagles had beaten Belton as they should have then the Temple victory would have been a really big deal. Go Eagles!

olderthandirt
November 5th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Some mistakes were made tonight, but all in all it was a good final game. Hats off to Shoemaker for never giving up, even when the scoreboard was against them. Nice end to the season, Ellison!

RooDawg
November 6th, 2010, 8:46 AM
Good win for the eagles...another losing season though with, in my opinion, the most talented team in KISD...oh, well...the eagles did pick up one more win than i had originally predicted...congrats to the kids who never quit during the year...i would like to see a different coach in there next year...