PDA

View Full Version : Making Razor Blades Last a Long Time

Rick
March 30th, 2009, 5:04 PM
I used to go through a razor blade a week, Those things are expensive. Then I heard this on the radio and tried it.

Simply.....Dry them off after use. I wipe mine with a dry towel, but some people use a blow dryer. I have been doing this for a couple of years and it really makes a difference. They last a month or two now.

What causes them to go dull?

Water! It is known in the chemistry world as the universal solvent and if you leave them wet when done shaving, the blades will dull just sitting there.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2009, 5:17 PM
Thanks for the hint.
Has anyone tried that thing being advertised on TV that supposedly sharpens all razor blades? Looks like a crock to me, but if it does work it would pay for itself in one month!

kantwin
March 30th, 2009, 6:07 PM
I'd say it's a crock.
How many of those things that you see on TV where "If you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll double the offer!" actually are worth something?
I'd say it's probably a mathematical equation. Somewhere averaging around 5 out of 0.
Or, it could be expressed as 5/0.
Meaining, ZERO.

Rick
March 30th, 2009, 6:08 PM
I don't think a precision sharpening can occur by spinning sandpaper on something. I call it a crock.

Dagobert II
March 30th, 2009, 6:12 PM
This sounds like a show for Mythbusters.

FieryPrincess
March 30th, 2009, 6:16 PM
I LOVE those gripper thingies so I don't have to bend over to pick the trash from the floor at school.

I just wish they were sturdier - the inside threads are plastic and rip out after too much vigorous usage.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2009, 8:28 PM
I'd say it's a crock.
How many of those things that you see on TV where "If you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll double the offer!" actually are worth something?
I'd say it's probably a mathematical equation. Somewhere averaging around 5 out of 0.
Meaining, ZERO.

I've tried a couple of those things you see advertised like that, although I haven't ordered them on TV. Walgreens or some other places carries some of the stuff. One of the items I bought was the super absorbent chamois or whatever the hell it is (Sham-Wow). I bought a couple from a guy who picked some up at a tool show. He bought 20 of them for $20 and sold them for $1 each and they work as advertised. Very absorbent.
Another item was those watering globes for house plants. Somebody gave me two of them and they do work and kind of look neat.
But I think that razor blade sharpener is a bunch of baloney.

Dagobert II
March 31st, 2009, 7:25 AM
Oh that dude that advertises that 'Sham-Wow' of TV has been arrested. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/27/vince-shlomi-shamwow-pitc_n_180210.html

Night Owl
March 31st, 2009, 7:40 AM
Talk about a tongue lashing.:)

Stan Schluter's Loop
March 31st, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'd say it's a crock.
Meaining, ZERO.

There's a local news station out of the Midwest that has "Does It Work Wednesday" where they test out that kind of stuff: http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/category.asp?C=12373

I think they did the razor blade tool... check the link.

circle_c
March 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM
That's a good site SSL thanks for the info.

Deb
March 31st, 2009, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the hint, Rick. I'll have to start trying that. I kind of thought that thing that resharpens blades sounded like a crock. I thought I just as well take a piece of sandpaper to the dang razor blade. The only thing I bought thru a tv ad was a Pedegg. But I waited till I saw them at Walmart to buy it where I could have give it an eyeball. It works pretty good at removing callasses.

stormy
April 1st, 2009, 1:15 PM
Oh that dude that advertises that 'Sham-Wow' of TV has been arrested. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/27/vince-shlomi-shamwow-pitc_n_180210.html

That guy really cracks me up...."fettucini, linguini, martini, binkini". :bluerofl

Has anyone ever bought those green bags for vegetables & fruit? I bought a box a while back because be buy a lot of vegetables and they work great! :thumbsup

CenTexDave
April 1st, 2009, 4:08 PM
All sorts of interesting consumer stuff on there. I even bookmarked that link.
They did test the razor blade sharpener and stated it worked great and gave it an "A".
Hmmm.......should I take the plunge because as Rick previously stated these newer kinds of razor blades are expensive (an 8 pack of Gillette Fusion blades is over $25) and if I can get a week's worth of shaves out of one it's a blessing.

Night Owl
April 1st, 2009, 4:13 PM
For the men: Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.
Save the $$$$ and take the little lady to dinner.

CenTexDave
April 1st, 2009, 5:31 PM
There were a lot of interesting items tested on that website. I'm sure most of us have seen them advertised on TV. Most of the things I figured wouldn't work came out with shining reviews. One thing is certain - most of the crap that Billy Mays advertises is junk.

christine
April 1st, 2009, 7:00 PM
That sham wow guy irritates the hell out of me. That and he look creepy.
I also can't stand that OxyClean guy. Does he have to yell everything? I wonder if he walks around his house talking like that?

Rick
April 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hmmm.......should I take the plunge because as Rick previously stated these newer kinds of razor blades are expensive (an 8 pack of Gillette Fusion blades is over $25) and if I can get a week's worth of shaves out of one it's a blessing.
Try drying them off and see long they last.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 3:46 PM
Rick: When you first started this post back on March 30 I had already started using a new blade - think it was on it's second shave that day. Tried your recommendation and the blade still shaves close, although I can tell the difference between brand new and now, but it's been 11 days of shaves and still is good.

Rick
April 7th, 2009, 3:53 PM
Good deal. I know it works. Thanks for the feedback. I have thin hair, so they probably last longer.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 4:03 PM
Good deal. I know it works. Thanks for the feedback. I have thin hair, so they probably last longer.
So they work on shaving your head also?

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 4:07 PM
Don't know about that. The hair on top of my head is thin enough!! :)