PDA

View Full Version : Acorns

joyohjoy
October 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
We have an oak tree in the front yard and some how the acorns are showing up in the back yard where the pup finds them and eats them. My question is will they hurt him?

Mestral
October 16th, 2010, 5:38 PM
I am not a vet, but since this has waited over 24 hours, I will venture.

I don't think so. I used to eat them as soon as they fall. OTOH, they are a bit rich, if he eats a lot of them. And a lot of (very rough) roughage if he eats the shells. I would limit his time around them if possible, as dogs are not known for their restraint when it comes to eating. I grew up around farm dogs that didn't have any problem with them, but then again, there is the natural selection thing that goes on, on the farm.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
October 17th, 2010, 6:55 PM
Acorns do contain a toxin that can harm kidney function but most dogs won't eat enough of them to hurt. Cattle that consume acorns are affected due to the action of the rumen (the cow's stomach) and how it breaks the acorn down and releases the toxin. The most common problem I see associated with acorn ingestion is a simple gastritis (upset stomach) and occasionally an obstruction caused by the acorn becoming lodged in the instestine.

It is likely that you won't see any problems!

joyohjoy
October 18th, 2010, 8:05 AM
Thanks for the info. We did have a little bit of throwing up after eating them but since he hasn't found any more that has stopped.

prideworks
October 18th, 2010, 3:06 PM
Acorns do contain a toxin that can harm kidney function but most dogs won't eat enough of them to hurt. Cattle that consume acorns are affected due to the action of the rumen (the cow's stomach) and how it breaks the acorn down and releases the toxin. The most common problem I see associated with acorn ingestion is a simple gastritis (upset stomach) and occasionally an obstruction caused by the acorn becoming lodged in the instestine.

It is likely that you won't see any problems!

I just got a call from my dog sitter that my little one ate a couple and hurled.....he's fine now.