PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out a seriously gross microwave

FieryPrincess
March 29th, 2009, 3:17 PM
Take a microwave-safe bowl and fill it with water and lemon juice.

Place it in the microwave and run the microwave for 5:00 minutes.

The lemon and the steam loosen the gook and you just wipe it clean. I have never needed more than 5:00 pass through to get stuff loosened, but it possible you might need another round.

Scarlett
March 29th, 2009, 5:37 PM
Ohhhh I need to do this to the microwave in the Social Studies Office at Ellison!

dragonfly
March 29th, 2009, 9:51 PM
How much lemon juice? Like the juice of one lemon, or more?

THEMEANOGRE
March 30th, 2009, 7:43 AM
How much water?

jewelr
March 30th, 2009, 8:37 AM
1 cup water and the juice of 1 lemon should due.

stormy
March 30th, 2009, 3:30 PM
Good tip, FP. I usually just microwave a bowl of water, hadn't tried the lemon juice. Does it leave the microwave smelling lemony fresh? :)

Night Owl
March 30th, 2009, 3:32 PM
Even lemons can't take the smell away from some things!!!>:)

stormy
March 30th, 2009, 3:38 PM
When I was in college, my sister & I rented an apartment together. She heated up some of that liquid pot-pourri in the microwave to make the place smell nice. EVERYTHING I ever tried to heat up in that thing after that tasted like pot pourri!

Scarlett
March 30th, 2009, 4:56 PM
Should I use a really big lemon or a couple small ones.....or does it matter.....What the hell kinda instructions are you giving me?

(Sorry, feeling snarky....)

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2009, 5:19 PM
Put the cat in there, turn on high power for 5 minutes.
You won't want to worry about cleaning it.:)

FieryPrincess
March 30th, 2009, 6:15 PM
I just quirt some of the juice in there from the concentrate bottle.

The amounts seem negotiable but I use a fairly large bowl in there. I was worried that if there wasn't enough water that there would be other problems.

I learned LOTS of tips from watching the BBC show: How Clean is Your House. Most of the cleaning tips were organic/non-toxic.