PDA

View Full Version : Copper based fungicide

Mestral
September 21st, 2010, 5:52 PM
Is there anyone here who has any experience with copper based fungicides?

(For lawns, or for any other use, for that matter. )

I went to the feed store on 190 in Cove, and they sold me some good lawn fungicide, but it was not copper based, and they did not seem to know why I wanted one with a copper base.

Spartan
September 21st, 2010, 6:47 PM
No experience. However I "googled" your subject line and the first site provided the following information:

Copper sulfate is a fungicide used to control bacterial and fungal diseases of fruit, vegetable, nut, and field crops. These diseases include mildew, leaf spots, blights, and apple scab. It is used as a protective fungicide (Bordeaux mixture) for leaf application and seed treatment. It is also used as an herbicide, and to kill slugs and snails in irrigation and municipal water treatment systems. It has been used to control dutch elm disease.

Copper Sulfate has hundreds of uses, but one of the most widely used benefits of Copper Sulfate is for Algae control in aquariums, lakes and ponds. Another big use of Copper Sulfate is for root control in sewer pipes.

Mestral
September 21st, 2010, 7:45 PM
Yes thanks, I understand the theory, but am looking for someone with practical experience. I should have also mentioned I am looking for a source of sand laced with copper or copper sulfate. I have seen it on gardening shows in years past, but nothing recently.

Hmmm, one new thing you did find: Used for control of algae in lakes and ponds. That may provide me with another lead.