PDA

View Full Version : Planting grass

Scarlett
September 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I am reseeding my lawn this weekend...what suggestions do y'all have for what kind of grass seed I should get, and where I should get it? I have ZERO knowledge on this stuff. My father is driving down from Kansas to help me out, but if anyone is bored and wants to help...just saying....

Mestral
September 12th, 2010, 2:21 PM
If you have full sunlight, I would go with Bermuda or St Augustine. You can't always get the stuff as seed, though. Some kinds are only available as sod. For shaded areas, Palmetto St Augustine seems to do well. I am no expert, but maybe someone around here will see my pathetic advice and add some real knowledge to it.

The most important things I have observed in this area, though, are to have a good base dirt (at least 4 inches think) and some means of keeping it from eroding until the grass is established. I have seen several well intended efforts completely fail because the good soil was gone before the grass could get a good hold.

THEMEANOGRE
September 12th, 2010, 2:54 PM
I know very little about planting grass. But I do know that St Augustine takes hold and covers the ground pretty quickly. I don't know about starting it from seed, but some friends got enough St Augie sod to do about 1/4 of their yard and placed the squares a few feet apart and had a yard full before the end of the season. St Augustine also has the virtue that it doesn't grow very high and thus needs little grooming.

Mestral
September 12th, 2010, 5:17 PM
Yes, covering between the sod pieces is one of St Augustine's virtues, Bermuda (I think that is what I have in my back yard) does this as well, and is constantly trying to take over my garden. I don't know if I would go with only 25% coverage, though, since that gives a lot of room for other things to try to fill in ahead of it. I have something trying to overtake my front, someone called it "Texas Grass." It is clumpy, with tall stalks and is a little lighter in color than the St Augustine. I wish I knew more.

Scarlett
September 12th, 2010, 6:11 PM
Anyone know where is the best place to get the sod and about how much it costs?

THEMEANOGRE
September 12th, 2010, 6:16 PM
Another benefit of St Augie, anything that grows before IT gets there gets choked out.
I helped lay the sod and we left, like a 1 1/2 -2ft between squares. Of course, we also did it in the spring.
Check Lowe's, Home depot, the plant nurseries... etc,ai,an

xzochye
September 12th, 2010, 6:48 PM
Anyone know where is the best place to get the sod and about how much it costs?

If Lowes has it that would be the best place to go. The Guys With Green Feet on Stan Schlueter sale sod but they are a bit more pricey. St. Augustine only comes in sod they do not sell a seed for it.

CenTexDave
September 12th, 2010, 9:48 PM
A pallet should cost you a bit over $100. St. Augustine is great, but requires a lot of water in the Texas heat. You might consider Buffalo grass.

THEMEANOGRE
September 13th, 2010, 3:51 AM
You'll need less water if you run a liter of Amway LOC through a garden sprayer/ feeder, twice a year. Keeps the grass nice and lush and green, bugfree, too.

cityboy
September 15th, 2010, 1:06 PM
You'll need less water if you run a liter of Amway LOC through a garden sprayer/ feeder, twice a year. Keeps the grass nice and lush and green, bugfree, too.

Is this stuff good for Bermuda?

THEMEANOGRE
September 15th, 2010, 1:32 PM
It is an all natural cleaning product, so I presume it SHOULD be good for any kind of grass. But if you need definative answers, just contact the company. I don't have any numbers for them any longer.