PDA

View Full Version : Cove Waxes Mexican National Champs

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The Dawgs really put it to these guys tonight, 49-6. This team was huge. Cove has speed to spare though and you can't tackle what you can't catch.
Round Rock Stony Point, ranked #4 in the state, played these guys and beat them 45-7. Guess the Dawgs are for real.

RooDawg
September 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM
still dave, why, in the world, did cove play this team? did they get a decent amount of money for the game?

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2010, 7:07 AM
From what I understand they contacted Cove to play. This and another Mexican team play 2-3 games every year up in Texas and want to play quality teams. This team is the defending National Champs from Mexico. They were good for sure, but couldn't overcome Cove's speed. The Dawgs had 4 TD runs of 40+ yards.
The Mexican team paid their own way and all their expenses, so didn't cost the Cove taxpayer a dime. And the Dawg Pound was packed. Must have been 9000+ at the game.

THEMEANOGRE
September 11th, 2010, 7:30 AM
Were they really a national champion team or were they a national all star team?
Kind of makes a difference.

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2010, 7:34 AM
I have read both versions. I have also read it is an accumulation of players from different high schools in Monterrey. Evidently all the high schools in Monterrey can't field a team, so they consolidate into one team. This makes it all the more impressive.
But there is currently another team from Mexico playing other Texas teams which is also highly touted so I would think this should go down as an impressive win. This Mexican team did beat a Texas team from Brownsville, I think, last week.

THEMEANOGRE
September 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Either way the win is impressive. But an all star team might not be as cohesive as a singular team. From your post, it seems like a city wide team drawn from all the schools collectively. Bet our DAWGS never expected to be a part of foreign relations when they made the team, huh?

RooDawg
September 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM
dave, dave, dave..."impresive win"?...cove beating SLC was impressive...i couldnt have predicted the score of this game (i might have had it even more lobsided, though)...and the Mexican team beating a team from BROWNSVILLE doesnt impress me...

THEMEANOGRE
September 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Well, he did say the players were quite sizable. Size doesn't automatically equate to speed, but they aren't mutually exclusive, either.
Kinda wish I'd gone to the game, last night.

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2010, 6:48 PM
Call it what you want, RooDawg, but to beat the Mexican national high school championship team is impressive, especially when you consider that we put up 49 points on these guys.

RooDawg
September 12th, 2010, 1:53 AM
cove puts up 49 points on texas 5a opponents on a regular basis...like i said, i was looking for a bigger spread...i'm not impressed...cove is good, i know, and i know i wasnt at the game to see this Mexican national team, but i really cant see that this win is impressive...it's just another win like last week when they beat waco...again, the win over SLC was impressive to me...

CenTexDave
September 12th, 2010, 7:31 AM
The thing is that Round Rock Stony Point beat these guys 45-7. SP is ranked #4 in the state.

THEMEANOGRE
September 12th, 2010, 7:41 AM
What I think would be impressive would be a 1/4 exhibition game between the DAWGS and a top ranked college team. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that the DAWGS would actually win. But use that as a gauge to show just how good Coach Welch's program really is. Doing something like that once per season would sure draw a lot of attention. It sure wouldn't hurt come scholarship time!

CenTexDave
September 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Get real, Mean.
College ball is like 10 times more faster than high school. Remember, all those kids on those college teams were the star of their high school team.

THEMEANOGRE
September 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
That's why I'm suggesting only a single quarter of play.:doh

RooDawg
September 12th, 2010, 1:36 PM
dave...based on your posts i am guessing that you are not expecting the same cove team as they have had the last couple of years...i will agree that cove is not as dominating as the last couple of years but i still believe that they will be in contention of not only the district championship but will go several rounds deep in the playoffs...there is still plenty of talent there...

CenTexDave
September 12th, 2010, 7:11 PM
Last year's team was not dominating at all. They made the playoffs and were gone after the first game.
The previous four years they were dominating - regional final, two state championship games and a state semi.
This team has the potential to do the same, but they have not had to throw the ball yet. If they do, it may be their shortcoming.

cnjbond
September 13th, 2010, 4:13 PM
Hey MO, how 'bout we see if Cove can win a state championship against other HS teams before we throw in a college team...that's how you gauge the success of a system.

Brian McCall
September 19th, 2010, 2:35 AM
I have read both versions. I have also read it is an accumulation of players from different high schools in Monterrey. Evidently all the high schools in Monterrey can't field a team, so they consolidate into one team. This makes it all the more impressive.
But there is currently another team from Mexico playing other Texas teams which is also highly touted so I would think this should go down as an impressive win. This Mexican team did beat a Texas team from Brownsville, I think, last week.

Wait, a Mexican team beating a team from Brownsville. So basically it was Mexicans beating Mexicans.

CenTexDave
September 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Guess you can look at it that way.
Cove gets Belton at Belton this Friday. Although Belton's defense certainly has caused them big problems, the Tigers are still one potent offense. We'll see if Cove's D can shut down David Ash's aerial circus. If they can, and if Belton hasn't figured out how to stop the run, this one will be ugly very early.

RooDawg
September 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
i believe that the only thing that belton has going for them right now is that they are playing at home...i can see ash having a good night but i am still concerned about belton's defense...cove will be able to score because they will be able to run the ball...the key WILL BE cove's defense...if they can get a couple of stops then i see them winning the game...i think the score ends cove 28 belton 24...

CenTexDave
September 22nd, 2010, 9:27 AM
Belton has had a few starting defensive players out with injury the past 2 games. The off week will get them ready. But they haven't really played for 3 weeks, so game experience may be a factor.
I think it will take 40+ points to win this game. If Cove can pick off David Ash a couple of times they will win. Cove will need ball control to keep Belton's offense on the sidelines. Sometimes Cove scores too quickly, like Brandon Hamilton's 99 yard TD run against Southlake Carroll and Orlando Thomas' 95 and 77 yard TD runs against the Mexican team. If Belton can stop Cove's run game consistently, this will be a close game. If they can't, I think Cove will put up 40+ points and run away with it. One thing Cove has over most teams is team speed. This may be the quickest and fastest Cove team in the last 10 years or so.

CenTexDave
September 25th, 2010, 9:11 AM
Above looked like an accurate prediction.