PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR considering multi-car qualifying next year?

TheOldProgrammer
September 2nd, 2010, 9:00 AM
Wouldn't this be interesting especially if Cussin' Carl and Brad Dumbbutt were on the track at the same time...

The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series has implemented a multi-truck qualifying system in recent weeks [first used at Pocono and scheduled for use again this weekend at Kentucky] which is reportedly being considered for both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series next year. The format calls for two vehicles on track simultaneously in an effort to speed up the qualifying session with the order of time trials based on the last practice session starting with the slowest time and progressing to the truck with the fastest lap.(CBS Sports)(9-2-2010)

:smoke

Rick
September 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think it's a good idea as long as they are started with a few seconds between them? Especially on larger tracks. It just makes sense.

TheOldProgrammer
September 2nd, 2010, 4:01 PM
I could see an F1 or IndyCar style qualifying on road courses but I don't know about two cars on the track qualifying on ovals... :smoke

gnatsum
September 2nd, 2010, 7:44 PM
Do the 'start-and-park' teams qualify together, or with the 'faster' cars?
For example, having Terry Cook try to qualify at the same time as Jimmie Johnson.

Could be interesting. Then again, what if JJ and Jeffy Gordon qualified "together"? Who would get the most screen time on Speed's TV coverage of qualifying?