PDA

View Full Version : JK Rowling & MS

THEMEANOGRE
August 31st, 2010, 12:47 PM
I noticed where author JK Rowling gave 10,000,000 pounds ($15.4M) for the establishment of a centre for the study of Multiple Sclerosis.
I applaud her for that generosity. MS is the number 1 crippler of young adults in the UK. Thank you Ms Rowling!!!
Also, don't forget the annual Walk MS is coming to HH's Carl Levin Park this month (Sept).

christine
August 31st, 2010, 2:42 PM
That's pretty cool

Iteachtoo
August 31st, 2010, 3:00 PM
We need more millionaires like her!!

THEMEANOGRE
August 31st, 2010, 7:49 PM
I noted that the Centre was named after a family member. MS is more widely spread there than it is here. Here there are about 300,000 people with it. In Britain, there is an island off the northern end of Scotland where everyone either has it or it is in their immediate family.

christine
September 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM
I noted that the Centre was named after a family member. MS is more widely spread there than it is here. Here there are about 300,000 people with it. In Britain, there is an island off the northern end of Scotland where everyone either has it or it is in their immediate family.

Wow. Is that because people who have it move there?

THEMEANOGRE
September 1st, 2010, 2:50 PM
No, MS has a preference for northern Europe. It is really prominent throughout NE, but in the Hebrides or Faroes, I forget which, it is just so prevalent there.
The big theory is that it invades a person as a flu bug and reprograms certain of the immune cells. After the reprogrammed cells get done fighting whatever bug, those cells that didn't get into the fight but need to get used start attacking the central nervous system.
Thus those of us with MS often say that our condition is entirely in our head. Just not the way you think. And I'm oft wont to point out, "There is nothing wrong with me that couldn't be fixed by a good electrician. However, as fast as the Pentium computer chip is, it is not fast enough to keep up with the human nervous system.

christine
September 1st, 2010, 3:34 PM
I see. I didn't know any of that. Thanks for explaining