PDA

View Full Version : Daycare

christine
August 4th, 2010, 9:41 AM
Ok the time has come that I unfortunately have to put Bubba in daycare for atleast a few days a week.
Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for & stay away from in a daycare?
He will be a year old in Oct when I enroll him somewhere and I'm new at this. I just want to know what to expect.

xzochye
August 4th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have several friends that have been on the daycare hunt this summer. I know that each one of them have shown up at the daycares unannounced and at random times of the day to do a walk through and observe what is going on inside the classrooms.

Both ladies have said that the new Motherly Love ( I think that is the name), on Stan Schlueter next to the chiropractor and light store is horrible. They walked in to hear people yelling at kids and the place was very dirty. These 2 ladies were not together and went at different times,days.

christine
August 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wow that scares me to think someone like that might be watching my son.
I should have mentioned I'm in the Dallas area but hey it's good for others here to know what is going on in a local daycare. Did anyone report how dirty it was atleast?
Random walk throughs are a good idea I'll have to do that.

THEMEANOGRE
August 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Before you do a walk through, have a sit down with the director. Get info on ratio of cared for to care givers. Get a list of at least 7 client references. Call them ALL, not just one or two. Check with BBB, find out about complaints. Ask to see health department inspection reports. Go to health department, ask to see their reports. These are in no particular order.

christine
August 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
What is the BBB?

THEMEANOGRE
August 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Better Business Bureau

babyblue
August 4th, 2010, 2:10 PM
Check out this link. It is by the state of Texas and you can search for daycares by area. It will give you all of their inspection dates, violations, corrections, any reports done on the facilities, ect. I used it when looking for a center as well as a registered home.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/Search_Texas_Child_Care/ppFacilitySearchDayCare.asp

christine
August 5th, 2010, 8:04 PM
Thanks everyone. You've given me some great tips& sources to go to.

jeepnbeep
September 8th, 2010, 1:29 PM
I hope people will continue to write about their experience with their daycares or even when they visit certain daycares.

I, too, have been searching for daycares and it's so horrible. It just keeps getting worst. Will definitely agree with the 2nd poster, Motherly Love was horrible.

We were searching for various daycare and a lot of them didn't have a set curriculum for the summer. I think it is very important if people are paying that much, their kids should be happy.

The following lists are my definite NO-NOs

Kinderland
Education Connection
Little Lambs
OK Daycare
Child's Choice
Kidz Expression
Bambino's
Greater Love

Unsure
Creative Child Arts
Crayons

I have been visited a lot more but can't think of their names. Some of them were just horrible...

I think for me a good indicator would be the staff is friendly and greets you/your child as soon as you walk in. The kids are happy and the staff are attentive. Visit as many times as you need to until you feel comfortable.

Definitely check the DFPS website like someone already suggested: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...rchDayCare.asp

Please also keep us posted. And post the ones you have visited.

Thanks.

stormy
September 8th, 2010, 4:49 PM
Jeepnbeep,

I'm really curious to hear your assesments of Education Connection & Bambinos; can you share?

My son is at CTC Child Development Center. They are great! It was a long wait and he had to be completely potty trained (so not a place for infants), but the staff are great and he loves it.

jeepnbeep
September 8th, 2010, 8:46 PM
When I visited Education Connection, at least 3X, it was very disorganized and dirty. Children were everywhere and the staff in the classroom didn't seem like they enjoyed working there...except for one of the classroom which is the 18 months and below.

Bambinos...well, I only had to visit once. We rang the doorbell to get in, someone came out and when we told her we want to look around, she said wait. We waited outside for about 5 minutes. First, she acted like she didn't speak any english. When we came in, I guess she was the director or the lead, and she yelled on the intercom or phone (in spanish) that there was a visitor. It was too quiet in there. It wasn't normal for a daycare and some of the kids looked timid. On the infant side, there was a provider, that was feeding the baby and she shook the baby. I didn't like that place. I checked the website and they have a history of punishing the children inappropriately. I actually checked them out in 2008 but I still won't go back there now.

I actually checked CTC today. I really liked the director. They didn't have that many people or kids there today and it was 4 when we got there. One of the classroom we visited was a little unorganized in the sense, that they had a lot of stuff out like arts and crafts. I did like the staff that I met. I did hear a lot of good things about this daycare. From the way, she made it sound, it probably won't be until several months, until I get a placement. How long did you wait? Do you have any other recommendations or at least name the ones that I should stay away from.

Looking for a daycare is so time consuming, draining and very disappointing.

Texas Immigrant
September 9th, 2010, 5:34 AM
I used Log Cabin on CTE, we liked it there.

stormy
September 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
jeepnbeep,

That's too bad to hear about Education Connection. My son was there from 2 months old until about 6 months old until they did away with the infant program; up until then, they were great and my daughter had been there from around 19 months old until she was 8 (she's 12 now), and for the the most part, it was good. It was 3 years ago my son was there, so not sure what's gone on over there since then.

If you went to CTC CDC yesterday at 4:00 you may have seen my little guy. :) Did you observe both rooms? I like the little observation room with the sound so you can see and hear what's going on without disturbing the classes or the kids. Yes, the director is very nice and the staff are great. I think we waited almost a year for his spot to open up. They keep the kids very busy and stick to a schedule. Nap time is 2 hours, which surprised me, but my son had NEVER taken a nap until he started there, and he sleeps the entire 2 hours! They have a great program there. Unfortunately, that wait is a bugger.

stormy
September 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I've heard Log Cabin was pretty good too.

mb1103
September 9th, 2010, 4:47 PM
I use Log Cabin (in HH right on the expressway) and I love them. They are so awesome with my child. The teachers are so friendly and caring. My child really loves to go there.

FieryPrincess
September 9th, 2010, 7:57 PM
My littel guy was at Education Connection from 5 months to almost two years. I pulled him because I felt there were too many kids in the little room for his age and the worker that was there was SO rude to MY face that I couldn't imagine how she acted towards my kid when I wasn't there.

After one altercation, I scooped up my kid and left. When they asked up front why he wasnt' staying, I told them very frankly. I wasn't the only person complaining about the teacher and she ended up being fired.

We tried Creative Child Learning Arts Center next and that was nice enough except that I am not sure how appropriate it is to expect 2 year old kids to sit and work quietly for extended periods of time. Then the front desk person got ugly with me, changed her story and after that I noticed that they kept picking on my child. (I presume it was a prelude to running us off).

We spent from almost 3 to pre-K at Harker Heights Learning Center. It didn't look like much, but Miss Cindy had NO trouble with my boy. He came home thrilled and was learning well. She even helped me out a time or two when his elementary sent him home.

Even now, I look for a place where the overall number of children allowed is not real high. Some places are allowed to have large numbers and they really cram those kids in there. That just doesn't work for my boy.

jeepnbeep
September 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the input. It certainly helps. I never visited Log Cabin but I might need to. I think when I read the DFPS review, I decided not to go. Has anyone heard of Little Wonders?

sasquatch
September 10th, 2010, 6:09 AM
CHristine - not sure where in the Dallas area you are, but for a 9-2:30 a couple of time a week in Arlington is Park Row Children's Center. They are fabulous. My kids went there when we lived there.

christine
September 10th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CHristine - not sure where in the Dallas area you are, but for a 9-2:30 a couple of time a week in Arlington is Park Row Children's Center. They are fabulous. My kids went there when we lived there.

I'm not sure if that would be near me but I will check it out. I'm thinking I may go with a daycare closer to my home rather than my office. It's the best one in the area. Promised Land Daycare, in Kaufman. It's run by the First Baptist Church and is really great. The kids and staff are so happy.
And I hope y'all are reporting the really bad daycares. I can't imagine someone pretty much shaking a baby & to do it in front of you!!!

ithoughtso
September 11th, 2010, 7:34 AM
Have you looked at three bears day care on Fort Hood street over by young's sporting goods? They wer'nt bad a few years ago. Of course things change and they may be bad as well. It is a shame there are so many daycare places around here that are bad.

olderthandirt
September 11th, 2010, 8:15 AM
Sasquatch - I sent you a PM about this. Did you get it?

jeepnbeep
September 11th, 2010, 9:52 AM
Definitely those daycares would be reported. It's not acceptable. They already have a track record...I am not sure why they are still in business.

jeepnbeep
September 16th, 2010, 9:07 PM
Anyone has any experience of the Montessori school on Centex Expressway? or Daycare on post?

Texas Immigrant
September 16th, 2010, 9:16 PM
I have a couple of friends that LOVED the Montessori school.

jeepnbeep
September 16th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Can you tell me a few things that they like about it?

Texas Immigrant
September 17th, 2010, 6:05 AM
They loved the teachers and they I think they really liked what their kids were learning.

jeepnbeep
September 18th, 2010, 9:17 AM
Thanks TX Immigrant.. Montessori has no openings and the director told us they don't do waiting list:(

Please keep this list going for Definitely Don't Use Daycare or Possible Daycares to Consider.

Thanks.

pigsister
September 19th, 2010, 1:17 AM
Not a big fan of Creative Child Learning Arts Academy. For the price, which is MUCH higher than other daycares, you get nothing special. I liked the infant room and felt safe with my child there, but after that, all the other teachers were just there for the paycheck, except one. I would drop my child off in the morning and he might be crying and no one made a move to sooth him, just sat around talking. Front office was always nice, but there seemed to be no real activities or structure. I love Mt. Sinai daycare. They are very friendly. It's like clockwork when I pick my child up around 4pm each day I know they will have just finished their craft. My child brings something home almost everyday related to the theme they have each week. I can tell his teacher loves him and that gives me peace of mind at work. Best yet he will hug her, which he doesn't do with anybody! I sent my other child to Education Connection when he was 4-5 and then in the summers when I had workshops. I liked it ok because of two good teachers. Neither are still there so I don't know what it is like now. We went when they used both buildings.

August
September 19th, 2010, 3:19 PM
My child has gone to the following places:

1. Central Texas College CDC: So amazing. Can't speak highly enough of it. It is a full-time program. Kids get lots of love and learning and nurturing of their creativity. Took us a year to get in though!
2. Log Cabin: I LOVED my child's teacher, she was so good, but then my child got promoted to the next age group class, and I didn't like the teachers. Also, she now works at Starbucks LOL. Anyway, the other teachers were so grumpy. Lots of people always yelling. Also observed teachers smoking cigarettes in the parking lot. Yes, they were off the clock and on their way home, but I wished they would have waited until they got out of the parking lot or at least into their cars so the students couldn't see them! (they were standing around smoking and chatting). Pros: Good facility with good equipment (indoors and out)
3. Little Dino's on Onion Road: Goes by a different name now. This place was so trashy. All the equipment was ancient, and they weren't supervised well, AND we were contacted by the IRS that they committed fraud on their taxes and were in danger of being shut down!!! (that's when they changed the business name)
4. Discovery Learning Center: This was pretty nice little place. Christian-centered, using Abeka curriculum. They also went to chapel (next door) once a week. I think it was called the Harker Heights United Apostolic Church. The only bad thing was the playground, which REALLY bothered me because it had these filthy pebble things as the surface and my child would be covered in this awful chalk dust every day.

jeepnbeep
September 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Pigsister- will check out Mt Sinai soon.
August- thank you for your reviews. I am on the waiting list for CTC for about 2 weeks. A year is a long time to wait and hopefully they call sooner soon.

THEMEANOGRE
September 21st, 2010, 3:17 AM
August, why would IRS contact a private citizen in relation to an action they're about to execute?
Especially one with no obvious prior connection.

jeepnbeep
September 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Still looking but taking my time. Don't want to take DB where he is at unless I am for sure that the one I will move him to is much better. So frustrating...he's got bad days and good days.

skindog
September 27th, 2010, 9:58 AM
My kids went to Little Dino's for years, and I received the IRS notice as well, stating that I should send any future payments to them.

From what I understand, the original owners had some financial issues relating to a death in the family years ago, and just never managed to catch up on back taxes. It was a shame, IMHO, becuase my kids liked going there. Every daycare my kids have been to has had some minor issue, including LD's. However, what I liked about them was when I asked a question, or had a problem with something, I always felt I could talk to them and they would listen and try to answer me or resolve the issue.

The new owner was employed by the original owners, and bought them out. I still take my kids there on occasion because they are more willing to help with last-minute childcare needs than any other daycare I've used, and when I run into any of the old or new folks from there, or any of the numerous kids and parents we came to know during the 5+ years my kids went there, we always chat and shoot the bull. We still refer to the old owners as "Auntie and Uncle".

I will concede that it wasn't as pretty as some of the other options, though I must admit the facelift it got in the change of ownership was nice. Toys may have been older, but if they work, what's the problem? I remember a thread about how some of our favorite toys as kids were simple or old. I would rather have something old that works over something that's pretty and doesn't.

One of my favorite things about them is that they usually held a couple of ceremonies/plays throughout the year. Usually a X-mas play/skit, and a graduation ceremony. One year they did a Hawaiian-themed skit with several singing and dancing numbers.

I suppose everyone can have one really good, or one really bad experience with any childcare, but I was more than happy with the experiences my kids and I had with them.

The Learning Zone in HH was good, but expensive.

Texas Tumblers was good, until they changed their pricing scheme to hourly blocks. I wasn't willing to pay for an extra hour of childcare when all I needed was 10-15 minutes. I always felt that the times were configured to screw the most people.

My kids were in YMCA until I lost my job in June. They liked it there, and it was convenient. I didn't really care for the fact that my kids couldn't play with each other, because they are different age groups, but I suppose they do need time apart.. I was about to pull the rest of my hair out over the summer playing Mr. Mom.. "DAAAAD, Sissy is picking on me!!!!!." :poke

August
September 30th, 2010, 6:23 PM
My kids went to Little Dino's for years, and I received the IRS notice as well, stating that I should send any future payments to them.

themeanogre - that is the answer to your question

skindog - I had also heard really good things about them. Several people had told me they were VERY pleased with them.

That's why I was surprised at what I observed. I observed them not being supervised well, and also in my opinion some of the outside equipment was old and not safe. For example, my two year olds were going on this old rusty metal slide that was very tall and had no railing to keep them from falling off. The kids were in this chain-link-fenced area, and the workers were a ways away, sitting on the shaded porch chatting.

That was my experience - but they did not go there long (I transferred them elsewhere) and clearly many other people have had positive experiences there.

jeepnbeep
September 30th, 2010, 9:14 PM
Still looking and getting frustrated...

One thing I really cannot understand is when people get hired (for toddlers and up) and they can't seem to hold basic conversation. I visited a couple of daycares this week, and most had providers that cannot speak English. Seriously, I would want someone that can model to my child the proper way to speak. These are crucial times for these age group to learn the right way to speak. In addition, it is very difficult to get information or update from them if they can't relate the message. I am okay if they have these providers for infants but not for toddlers that are learning how to talk.

Hmmm...maybe I am just being too picky:(

At the same time, I am also paying close to 600 a month. That's the monthly tuition for most private school and expect a little bit more than what I am getting.