PDA

View Full Version : The Pond

THEMEANOGRE
July 21st, 2010, 8:42 PM
Well, we are refilling our "pond". We just spent the last two days draining and cleaning. The plants have been tended and are back in place. But alas, our entire school of livestock perished. I'm sure we'll soon have some more to replace what we've lost. Stay tuned and I'll try to announce our "pond warming party".

BillK
July 21st, 2010, 9:18 PM
Well, we are refilling our "pond". We just spent the last two days draining and cleaning. The plants have been tended and are back in place. But alas, our entire school of livestock perished. I'm sure we'll soon have some more to replace what we've lost. Stay tuned and I'll try to announce our "pond warming party".

You know that there is a pond society in the area that has meetings periodically right?

I just gave away some very large koi to one of the members.

THEMEANOGRE
July 22nd, 2010, 5:45 AM
I've seen things here and in other venues about the Pond Society of Austin.
My mother doesn't care for koi. She says they aren't active enough for her tastes. She wants to stock up on game fish. Plus minnows are really inexpensive. I ran into a woman soldier at Wallyworld who was looking into a starter aquarium for herself and told a her about what we had done. She liked the idea!

BillK
July 22nd, 2010, 7:16 AM
I've seen things here and in other venues about the Pond Society of Austin.
My mother doesn't care for koi. She says they aren't active enough for her tastes. She wants to stock up on game fish. Plus minnows are really inexpensive. I ran into a woman soldier at Wallyworld who was looking into a starter aquarium for herself and told a her about what we had done. She liked the idea!

This is a pond group from Killeen and copperas cove and harked heights and temple and Belton.

corgifan
July 22nd, 2010, 1:51 PM
Totally cool that you have a pond. Did you have to excavate a pit and line it? What are the dimensions? Do you place plants in it as well as fishies? Landscape the exterior? Provide some pictures!

THEMEANOGRE
July 23rd, 2010, 5:58 AM
The "pond" is simply a reutilization of an inground pool. As to dimensions, it is about 30' long by 10' wide and is sort of kidney shaped. We have plants in it. We acquired our original livestock from several baitshops. Plus mother found out that a fishery outlet comes to a nearby feed store for those who stock their cattle ponds.
The reason for having the pond is that the law requires a homeowner to do something besides letting an inground unit just sit unused( a public health issue) and the pond was the cheapest idea with which we could come up.

THEMEANOGRE
July 24th, 2010, 4:17 PM
Update... We now have some fresh livestock in the pond. Mother just got back with about three dozen of a couple varieties of fish. Total expenditure, about $20.