PDA

View Full Version : Rug cleaning

circle_c
March 26th, 2009, 3:17 PM
Hi
Info sent from a friend who just moved to FL. (in case anyone is thinking of cleaning their rugs)

Today had my two smaller bedrooms and adjoining hall cleaned. A couple of helpful neighbor ladies did it for me. First, the machine was NOT a Rug Doctor which is the most common brand offered for rent. This was a Thermax and was at a True Value Hardware store. Only $12.95 for 24 hrs and well worth it.

We did preheat the water to boiling prior to putting it in the machine.

Treat serious stains by making a paste of 1/4 cup Borax (sold near laundry detergent in supermarket), 1/4 cup table salt, 1/4 cup white vinegar. Pile this mix on top of the stain, let set for 24 hours or until dry. Vacuum.

To do a general carpet cleaning, bring water to a boil on the stove, add 1-2 cups white vinegar and 1/2 - 1 cup Borax.

I was amazed that there was no residual vinegar smell after cleaning, even when carpets were still wet. This is also suppose to neutralized pet odors and keep pets from reusing a spot where they might previously have peed. There was little smell to the cleaning solution other than a 'clean, fresh' smell. I was very well pleased with the job this did and the cost was ridiculously low. I highly recommend it. Also no toxic chemicals to harm pets or babies in the household.

jewelr
March 30th, 2009, 8:36 AM
Also if you move into a place with carpet and you steam clean it after it dries and there is a powder left on it,it means that carpet fresh or other carpet powders were used.
You need to vaccuum then steam clean with a white vinigear and water solution it will help pull the powder to the top . This may take a few cleanings to get it all.
I was at one time a contract cleaner for the ARMY housing that's how I found out DON'T USE CARPET POWDER it also will ruin your carpets.

THEMEANOGRE
March 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
The best bet in cleaning carpets is to get rid of them entirely. Throw and area rugs are best for areas where such a thing is necessary. They can be easily taken up and taken out for cleaning or airing out.

jewelr
March 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I agree when we bought our house we yanked up the carpet to find hard wood floors, just refinished most of them. After my experience cleaning can't stand carpet in the house, I do have area rugs though.