PDA

View Full Version : Advice on lawn mowers needed

siamcat
June 20th, 2010, 5:03 PM
Ok, my hubbies birthday is in a few weeks and I want to get him a new lawnmower.
Our old one is about 14 years old, still runs but it's getting ornery.
Other then a self-propelled push mower I don't have a clue what to look for.
Anybody have good experience with a certain kind? Any help is appreciated.

Spartan
June 20th, 2010, 6:58 PM
Shop for quality rather than price. What you get is very dependent on what you will use it for -- like how big is your lawn. While rotary mowers are the most popular, reel-type mowers are much better for the grass.

siamcat
June 21st, 2010, 5:10 PM
Shop for quality rather than price. What you get is very dependent on what you will use it for -- like how big is your lawn. While rotary mowers are the most popular, reel-type mowers are much better for the grass.
Thank you.
I will definitly not go for the cheapest. Any brands I should stay away from? Our last one was a craftsman and it has lastet.

finalbowser
June 22nd, 2010, 2:57 PM
I bought a Toro and I love it. I also recommend buying a name-brand mower. Few things are more frustrating that a mower that keeps breaking.

Chief
June 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Would you like a vacuum cleaner for a birthday gift?

siamcat
June 23rd, 2010, 1:39 PM
Would you like a vacuum cleaner for a birthday gift?
Matter of fact, I love getting new things for the house,including a vacuum cleaner if it's better then our old one. I keep saying I need this or that, or it would be nice to get a new set of dishes, or pots. I rather get something I can use then something I can't.
I know some women would get mad, but I love it.:-)

Tony Baloney
June 24th, 2010, 4:50 PM
I have had a John Deere self propelled for several years and it starts with one pull after sitting all winter.
I have never heard anything bad about Toro either.

Good luck!

siamcat
June 26th, 2010, 4:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
Took hubby out today and he picked a Lawn Boy. Tried to get him to go for the Toro that is the Consumer Reports best buy, but he heard good things about the Lawn Boy.

Rick
June 27th, 2010, 4:58 AM
If he likes it, tell him to come on over!!! :))

siamcat
June 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
:))

CenTexDave
July 1st, 2010, 8:41 AM
You mentioned Craftsman. Just remember, Sears does not build Craftsman lawnmowers. I have a Troy-bilt which I bought three years ago and it has done a great job. Starts on the first pull everytime, including after sitting in the garage from Nov through February (just don't leave stale gas in it). I bought it at Lowe's.