PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Going the way of the SWC?

cnjbond
June 4th, 2010, 2:09 PM
Rumors are a flyin' of some members of the Big 12 bolting to the Pac 10 to make it the Pac 16. Should I stay or should I go?!

TheOldProgrammer
June 4th, 2010, 3:18 PM
And there's also a rumor that the Big 10 (which really has 11 teams) is courting UT... Big 12 teams in the Pac 10? That's as ridiculous as the St. Louis Lambs, oops Rams, in the NFC West. :smoke

CenTexDave
June 4th, 2010, 3:51 PM
Or the Cowboys in the NFC East!!
The Big Ten wants to expand, get that 12th team, make two divisions and have a conference championship game.
As it stands now, they have had some outstanding teams the past years, but they play their last game usually the 4th Saturday of November. Other conferences/teams are playing later. That long layoff has hurt them in high profile bowl games. Against Florida for the National Championship, they had a 53 day layoff.
I know they looked at Notre Dame in the past, but the Irish balked. I wouldn't take them now if they came calling and begging. If the Big Ten wants another team they could go after Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Missouri or Nebraska.
I don't know why UT would want to leave the Big12. They pretty much have had their way in it since it was formed. Let the Pac-10 go after Hawaii, Boise State, Nevada, San Jose State, San Diego State, etc.

Night Owl
June 5th, 2010, 4:46 PM
The Big 10 is going after 6 Big 12 Teams.
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado

They want to make a super conference that spands at least three time zones and corner the TV market.

CenTexDave
June 5th, 2010, 8:13 PM
What, no Baylor?
Even if they got all those teams, Owl, that would give them 17. Too many.

Night Owl
June 5th, 2010, 8:38 PM
Just know what the news on WBAP 820 was reporting Friday morning.

cnjbond
June 10th, 2010, 7:15 AM
Looks like Nebraska is jail-breaking to the Big 10 so that will be the end of the Big 12. Poor Baylor, everyone wants to "play" you but not "date" you.

Night Owl
June 10th, 2010, 7:32 AM
Looks like the PAC 10 is jumping in the mix. Wonder why the Big 12 doesn't form their own Super Conference?

They could add 4 teams and be set.

TCU would be a good fit. The other three would have to come from somewhere.

TheOldProgrammer
June 10th, 2010, 8:20 AM
It's the Pac-10 that started this whole thing... If Nebraska does jump to the Big 10 (really 11) and the Big 12 folds; couldn't the Big 10 become the Big 12... And if the six teams from the Big 12 jump to the Pac-1o (16?) why couldn't the remaining Big 12 teams find some others and form a new conference? Now that I've totally confused myself... :smoke

Night Owl
June 10th, 2010, 9:48 AM
Its all about

$$$$$$$$$

Rick
June 10th, 2010, 9:59 AM
I think what is coming down with USC's sanctions is playing a huge role in this. How Texas is a PACIFIC team, I'll never know. Doesn't make sense. They should leave it alone. And the Big 10 is in play too.

It's all about who can get the most TV sets to watch.

I don't like this.

TheOldProgrammer
June 10th, 2010, 3:34 PM
It's all about the money...

Texas in the Pac-10 (or whatever it's going to be called now) is no more ridiculous than St. Louis in the NFC West, Dallas in the NFC East and Indianapolis in the AFC South... :smoke

cnjbond
June 10th, 2010, 5:06 PM
The Artist Formely Known as "Big 12" is dead. The best thing for the remaining teams to do is to try and package themselves to the WAC, MWC or Conference USA. Conference USA would probably be ideal for Kansas and K-State because there are some decent basketball programs in that conference but not much money. It would also be good for Baylor because of the Texas connection to the conference.

cnjbond
June 14th, 2010, 5:59 PM
Holy cow, the old Big 12 will remain intact minus Colorado and Nebraska. I guess A&M is the only wild card remaining but I think they will stay instead of becoming the "Baylor Bears" of the SEC. I wonder who the Big 12 will go after now...

Iteachtoo
June 14th, 2010, 9:14 PM
Hopefully TCU.

cnjbond
June 14th, 2010, 9:43 PM
Hopefully TCU.

Not sure if that will happen, they need teams to replace Nebraska and Colorado who were in the North division of the Big XII. But it would be good to have TCU back in the same conference with the rest of the big Texas teams.

Iteachtoo
June 14th, 2010, 9:46 PM
I know I am showing my age, but does anyone remember the powerhouse that SMU was before they got the death penalty?

cnjbond
June 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yep, I remember those days.

Night Owl
June 15th, 2010, 7:31 AM
Pick up TCU and BYU. Move OK state to the North with BYU and put TCU in the South.

Rick
June 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
It's funny, the Big Ten will have 12 teams and the Big 12 will have 10.

cnjbond
June 16th, 2010, 4:56 PM
Pick up TCU and BYU. Move OK state to the North with BYU and put TCU in the South.
I don't think OSU is going to want to be split from OU, that's almost like splitting up UT and A&M or KU & KSU.

It would be interesting if they picked up BYU and Air Force, although Air Force is just a one sport wonder...

gnatsum
June 16th, 2010, 6:58 PM
I remember when the Big 12 was the Big Eight...but that was when the Southwest Conference was still in play...