PDA

View Full Version : Killeen Airport

BillK
May 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
First of all let me say that I really like our airport. I travel a lot and it is really nicely done.

I am putting this here so that if you travel you can be aware of an issue that I frequently only hit here at our airport.

ALL other airports (and USUALLY ours as well) asks for your boarding pass and your id at the same time and then gives you BACK your ID so that you can put it away.

PERIodicALLY our airport will take both and have you walk through the screener before giving you the ID back.

I realize that this may seem trivial but - once I have put all my "schmutz" through the xray and walk through I need to have my ID back in my pocket or I have to get my wallet back out while being rushed on the other side to pick up my stuff (usually about 5 bins worth of stuff.)

I REALLY need to get the ID back before going through security or I MIGHT put the ID back in the wrong pocket or if they do not give it to me I will fly and not have the ID when I need it on the other end.

This is not trivial as the airport can verify that this has actually happened to several people who have called back irritated when they cannot board their next flight orprove ho the are at the rental counter.

I am working on this with the TSA agent out of WACO who has assured me that this is NOT TSA's policy and is indeed a misguided effort by someone locally. I have been assured that this will not continue to happen but yet again on this flight to California it happened again. The supervisor came up and I was given back my ID as it should be.

Just thought that I would post this so that if you are travelling you can be aware of this potential issue and re-inforce with them that you don't like it either.

I find that "routine" helps when travelling and changes in that routine make it more likely that I will leave something behind or forget where something is.

Happy travelling...

THEMEANOGRE
May 4th, 2010, 2:51 AM
Actually, Bill, the procedure SHOULD be the way you say it is done at Killeen, IMO. I think the ID should come back to you AFTER going through the search phase of security. That way the officials have it in case further scrutiny is called for. Remember just as rushed as you feel going through, the security screeners feel just as rushed by the need to get everyone through the screening on time.
The biggest piece of advice I can give is, "try to cut down on the pocket litter."

BillK
May 4th, 2010, 8:26 AM
Actually, Bill, the procedure SHOULD be the way you say it is done at Killeen, IMO. I think the ID should come back to you AFTER going through the search phase of security. That way the officials have it in case further scrutiny is called for. Remember just as rushed as you feel going through, the security screeners feel just as rushed by the need to get everyone through the screening on time.
The biggest piece of advice I can give is, "try to cut down on the pocket litter."
The ID is yours not theirs, and the penalty is paid by you if they fail to return it. The TSA also disagrees with you and also feels that it should be returned to you immediately as they still hold your boarding pass until you are cleared for boarding. Should there be questions they can always deny boarding by holding your pass.

This is simply a procedure being changed by one person temporarily and periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenTexDave
May 4th, 2010, 8:27 AM
So only Killeen is doing it right, and the other 698 airports throughout the world are incorrect? :rolleyes

BillK
May 4th, 2010, 8:31 AM
So only Killeen is doing it right, and the other 698 airports throughout the world are incorrect? :rolleyes
And Killeen started doing it when staffing reductions occurred in 2007.

Upon a formal complainte
they stopped immediately and over the past few years I have had it happen sporadically. Most recently last week.

The supervisor said he would stop the practice immediately when I requested his presence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEMEANOGRE
May 4th, 2010, 9:56 AM
The way they do it at Killeen sounds like how I was taught to do things in the Air Force when we had to control access into our shop facilities.