PDA

View Full Version : Pediatric Dentist Needed

secretary
April 1st, 2010, 4:00 PM
Hi all,

I took my son to the doctor for his wellness check-up and was told that he will need to go to the dentist (he's fine by the way, only 1 shot this round :07:). I was genuinely surprised that 2 year-old children now need to visit the dentist. :-0 The doctor told me the new recommendation is that they begin visiting the dentist at the age of 1. :-0:-0:-0:-0:-0:-0

Anyway, do any of you know a good family/pediatric dentist in the Harker Heights, Killeen, Copperas Cove area?

We ALL need to go to the dentist, so might as well get everyone done at the same time.

Thanks! :):):thumbsup:thumbsup

Night Owl
April 1st, 2010, 5:09 PM
Why would a one or two year old need to go to the dentist? They are going to lose those teeth.

secretary
April 1st, 2010, 6:26 PM
That's why it surprised me! However, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry concurs with what my doctor said:
Dental Care for Your Baby

Q. When should my child first see a dentist?
"First visit by first birthday" sums it up. Your child should visit a pediatric dentist when the first tooth comes in, usually between 6 and 12 months of age. This visit will establish a dental home for your child. Early examination and preventive care will protect your child’s smile now and in the future.

Q. Why so early? What dental problems could a baby have?
The most important reason is to begin a thorough prevention program. Dental problems can begin early. A big concern is Early Childhood Caries (formerly known as baby bottle tooth decay or nursing caries). Once a child’s diet includes anything besides breast-milk, erupted teeth are at risk for decay. The earlier the dental visit, the better the chance of preventing dental problems. Children with healthy teeth chew food easily and smile with confidence. Start your child now on a lifetime of good dental habits.

Importance of Primary Teeth (Baby Teeth)
It is very important that primary teeth are kept in place until they are lost naturally. These teeth serve a number of critical functions. Primary teeth:

Maintain good nutrition by permitting your child to chew properly.
Are involved in speech development.
Help the permanent teeth by saving space for them. A healthy smile can help children feel good about the way they look to others.

Source: http://www.aapd.org/

siamcat
April 1st, 2010, 6:27 PM
NO, even baby teeth can get cavities and there might be other issues that need to be addressed :).

I used Dr. Brandt in Killeen and really liked his staff and the office. Both my kids were there for 10 years. He takes Tri-Care Prime, if you're active duty. He's located off WS Young near Ashley Furniture.

Night Owl
April 1st, 2010, 9:18 PM
I see this as the dental industry getting into parents pocket early than they normally would. Its all about the dollars. Just my opinion.

If the child has a problem then go see the dentist, until then keep your money in your pocket.

siamcat
April 1st, 2010, 9:49 PM
I see this as the dental industry getting into parents pocket early than they normally would. Its all about the dollars. Just my opinion.

If the child has a problem then go see the dentist, until then keep your money in your pocket.

Maybe, but it also starts kids on dental hygene earlier ( stickers and balloons the ultimate kid motivator), since they go before a problem develops they are not as afraid to go to the dentist ( again they get stickers and balloons).
You take your kids to an annual check up with their pediatrician every year even if they don't need shots. It's similar.

Now personally I don't like dentist and hate hygenists ( they probably are all nice people). They're lucky if they see me once every 3 years:).

Night Owl
April 1st, 2010, 9:56 PM
I understand but have there been any studies that have not been by an organization not in the dental industry? Not that I know of, so I have my doubts.

CenTexDave
April 2nd, 2010, 9:33 PM
I agree with Owl. Of course the dental industry recommends a one year old go to the dentist. Let's get some more $$ from our patients.

stormy
April 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
I also take my daughter to Dr. Brandt. She's been going there for around 7 or 8 years now. He is good. I also agree w/Siamcat, taking the kids early gets them used to the dentist so they're not so afraid later on when they need to go more often.

Night Owl
April 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Come see me I will pry around in their mouth with instruments and you can pay me half.:)

Texas Immigrant
April 4th, 2010, 8:33 PM
We go to Carus Kids in the Killeen Plaza (I think that's what's it is called) right next to Yank Sing.

Scarlett
April 4th, 2010, 8:40 PM
There is a new Pediatric Dental Clinic on Lowe's Blvd between HEB and Walmart.

And I agree, it is important to get kids used to a dentist at a very young age. My kids have gone since they were 2...twice a year for cleanings. I have an extreme fear of dentists, my kids don't. Is good. And dental insurance covers those completely.

babyblue
April 4th, 2010, 8:43 PM
I use Dr. Stephens on Elms Rd. He treats my family. I asked him when I had my daughter in how old my son should be before he starts. His recommendation was 4-5 years. They are really nice and cater to cowards there.

olderthandirt
April 5th, 2010, 6:33 AM
I agree with babyblue -- I also use Dr. Stephens. Great staff, not too long to wait for an appointment, and he's very gentle. We used to use Dr. Brandt but left after my child needed a filling (he would ONLY use gas, and that concerned me).

Texas Immigrant
April 5th, 2010, 6:55 AM
I'm glad my kids' dentist uses gas. I know how scared of needles they are-they inherited it from me. I wish my dentist used gas. I think I almost have a panic attack each time I go in.

FieryPrincess
December 20th, 2011, 6:06 PM
We didn't take my son until he was 6 and as it turns out, he has MASSIVE problems with his teeth. 8 extractions and some root canals. They did all this in the hospital. His teeth came in rotten. They could not have been in worse shape if we had snuck in at night to coat them with battery acid.

Since his teeth had always hurt, he didn't know something was wrong. We finally got a clue when he would make a few chews in meat, but give up on it and not consume it.

Talk about guilt. I wish we had taken him sooner.

bigtruk_us
January 15th, 2012, 6:53 PM
I as a parent would keep a close eye out on a 1yr and older baby.if you start to see some unordinary changes.then call the dentist.some of this just boils down to parents taking the initiative to watch their childs health.nice to be proactive.otherwise you'll be spending money needlessly