PDA

View Full Version : Pet Owners Face Danger From Above

Night Owl
March 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/10/owl-danger-from-above/

March 10, 2010 - 9:46 AM | by: Claudia Cowan (http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/author/ccowan/)
Most pet owners take steps to protect their animals. In Santa Rosa, California, Odessa Gunn worried a car or coyote might one day claim the lives of her dogs, which is why she and her husband, renowned American bicyclist Levi Leipheimer, fenced in their property.
But now they're mourning the loss of their beloved Chihuahua, Trooper, and nursing their other dog, Bandit, back to health. The attacker came from an unlikely place -- the sky.
Gunn had just let her dogs out into the backyard and was preparing to join them. She recalls, "in the time it took me to put my boots on, I heard what sounded like a really horrendous cat screeching noise. I thought it was a mountain lion or a bobcat or something."
In fact, it was a pair of Great Horned Owls, birds that typically eat rats and squirrels. On this recent night, the birds set their sites on larger prey. From out of the darkness, the two owls swooped down and attacked Trooper and Bandit, just feet away from where Gunn stood.
After a violent struggle, Bandit escaped, bloody and limping, but Trooper was carried off and hasn't been seen since. No fur. No blood. Nothing.
While there are really no good statistics on the frequency of such attacks, wildlife experts say they're rare but almost always lethal. In many ways, owls are the perfect predators; they approach without warning, and their razor-sharp talons can snatch a pooch or cat two two three times their own body weight.
This is a particularly active hunting time for owls. As homeowners encroach on the birds' natural habitat, attacks on pets could become more problematic.
Right now, baby owls are hatching, so pet owners should keep an ear out for the distinctive hoots of these fiercely protective birds, and stay well clear. It's also a good idea to keep small pets indoors when the sun is down, or walk them on a leash. If the owls recognize something as prey, they won't discern the fact that it's somebody's pet.

:owl:owl:owl I deny any wrong doing in this matter. I was home in bed.:)):)):))

All kidding aside this happens in this area also. Watch out for your small pets.

CenTexDave
March 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Must have been your long lost cousin out in California!! :)):)):))
But I've seen here in Cove what is described above. If you have a small dog or cat I'd seriously consider keeping them indoors as much as possible.

Spartan
March 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Finally, a good use for Chihuahuas! If they can find the owl's roosting tree, in a couple of days they will be able to find the remains in a couple of well-formed pellets of skat at the base of that tree. Then they can give the little beast a proper burial.

curmudgeon
March 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Last summer, my 40 lbs terrier (pit/boston mix) was sleeping in the yard while I was reading under the stoop. A harrier of some sort,(I think it was a red-tailed hawk) flew below the tree line and swooped at my dog. As the bird approached my dog, she noticed it and barked. I looked up to see the bird, talons out, ram my dog. The dog pounced it as it swooped in. After a roll, some barking and screeching; the bird flew into the fence line and got tangled in brambles in the fence. The dog ran over to it and went to bite at it as I ran over. When the dog hit it, the bird worked its way farther into the vines and briars on my fence line where the dog couldn't reach it. I grabbed my dog and took her into the house. When I came back outside, the bird was gone.

My dog received one deep gash on her forehead and several smaller talon marks on her chest. She was fine. I believe the bird got the worst of their entanglement as there was a massive amount of feathers on the ground.

However, harriers will attack even medium sized pets.

THEMEANOGRE
March 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Years ago, a cousin in Michigan had a 2lb Yorkie. On her property also lived a golden eagle. The first time that eagle went after "Scruffy", the state of Michigan wound up short one golden eagle.

Night Owl
March 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hope the shooter went to jail

dragonfly
March 18th, 2010, 2:20 PM
We had buzzards circling and swooping down into our yard after our small pups a few weeks back. They were in a flock of about 11, and while we were outside with dogs.

CenTexDave
March 18th, 2010, 4:01 PM
Are you sure they were buzzards, or what are really turkey vultures?
They usually don't bother anything unless it's already dead.

THEMEANOGRE
March 18th, 2010, 4:07 PM
No, Night Owl, but cancer got her not enough years after that.

Night Owl
March 18th, 2010, 4:20 PM
See what happens when you shoot an eagle!!!!!

poundpup
March 25th, 2010, 6:57 AM
Yorkies are at risk, too. A friend of ours lost 6 yorkies in 6 days to some kind of bird of prey that had figured out that the dogs were let out at a certain time of the day and must have just sat there and waited for breakfast to be served.

After losing all her yorkies, my friend had her husband build a completely fenced off run for the dogs with a fence and tarp roof.

I would have come to that solution by dog number 1 ... you know?