PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss tips

pushup
March 4th, 2010, 6:54 AM
I drink about 80 oz. of water everyday and that has been the biggest thing that has help me lose a lot of weight. It suppresses appetite and makes you feel fuller. You'll go to the bathroom more, but you'll overall health will improve. I have not gotten sick since I started drinking that much water.

JoAnn Purser
March 4th, 2010, 7:02 AM
One way to suppress your appetite before a meal is to eat one slice of bread with olive oil 20 -30 minutes before the meal. It works naturally.

prideworks
March 4th, 2010, 7:23 AM
One way to suppress your appetite before a meal is to eat one slice of bread with olive oil 20 -30 minutes before the meal. It works naturally.

I have a great doctor at the VA who told me that trying to lose 2 pounds a week creates stress and is self-defeating. Instead, aim for 2 pounds a month. When she said that, it took the stress out of the picture and I've been slowly, but surely dropping pounds. I also try to eat veggies a least twice a day, drink water more and try to leave something on my plate. Many of us were admonished to "clean our plates" as kids and it came back to haunt us (poundwise) later. Another trick I use is, if I want a cheeseburger, I have one, I just don't have the fries and shake to go with it. If I want a hot-dog, I have one.......not three.

Rick
March 4th, 2010, 8:57 AM
Reducing carbs and exercising did it for me. The B-12 shots from Texas Weight Loss Center gave me the energy to get started, but once I did, I had to start clothes shopping....a lot. lol

In the six months or so that I lost 50 pounds, I learned to change my eating lifestyle and have been able to maintain that loss despite the fact that I am not going to the gym because of a very painful injury.

Good luck.

prideworks
March 4th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Reducing carbs and exercising did it for me. The B-12 shots from Texas Weight Loss Center gave me the energy to get started, but once I did, I had to start clothes shopping....a lot. lol

In the six months or so that I lost 50 pounds, I learned to change my eating lifestyle and have been able to maintain that loss despite the fact that I am not going to the gym because of a very painful injury.

Good luck.

Good job!!:thumbsup

pushup
March 8th, 2010, 7:00 AM
Another trick I use is, if I want a cheeseburger, I have one, I just don't have the fries and shake to go with it. If I want a hot-dog, I have one.......not three.

I agree. My problem was french fries. For lent last year, I gave up them up. I lost 5 pounds even though I ate a lot of other junk. Now, I limit myself to 1 order of french fries a week. It's pretty manageable.

Iteachtoo
March 8th, 2010, 2:28 PM
I dropped 20 pounds, not doing anything else, when I stopped drinking sugared soft drinks

armyslowrdr
March 8th, 2010, 8:56 PM
I Like Food; I think more than anything else.
Help.

cityboy
March 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I lost 24 pounds so far on the HCG diet (30 days). Would have lost 10 pounds more, but cheated twice, once with a half-gallon of Moolenium Crunch (ate nearly the whole half-gallon after a bad day at work), and another time with Mexican food for lunch and a Whataburger patty melt and vanilla malt for dinner (the patty melt was sooooo good). I have 4 days left, then the 3-week maintenance period. Still hoping to reach a 30-pound loss overall, then start hitting the gym when I can go up to eating 1,500 calories a day ...

pushup
March 11th, 2010, 7:25 AM
Muscle is one of the keys to keeping the weight off. Muscle burns more calories than fat (according to Men's Health.) I took a week off of working out but ate a good bit of junk food. I was able to lose a pound overall.

If you don't have equipment, try doing body weight exercises such as pushups, squats, lunges, pullups/chinups, and crunches. They're are tons of variations on the internet if you can't do some of them.

pushup
March 22nd, 2010, 4:14 PM
Full body workouts.

According to Men's Health, you'll burn more calories with the more muscles that you use. You can try these:

Pushups

Lunges or squats

Crunches

Twisting shoulder press: Hold your arms at your sides of your shoulders and press up. As you press up twist your body to one side.

one legged deadlifts: Put your feet hip-distance apart. WITHOUT ROUNDING YOUR BACK, bend down with your arms (or weights) in front of your knee until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings. Do the same amount of reps with both legs.

bent over rows: Bend over at a 45 degree angle. Let your arms and weights below you. Pull up your arms up to your chest. Try to point your elbows to the ceiling. You can try this with one arm at a time.

THEMEANOGRE
March 22nd, 2010, 5:52 PM
When upping the water intake, exercise caution, after 2 quarts you begin to wash nutrients out of your system. Check with your doctor about supplements.

schiperno
March 23rd, 2010, 9:17 PM
During my hubby's deployment I lost over 30 pounds (Unfortunately, since his return that number has dwindled....) But what actually worked for me when I took the minutes to do it was food journaling. Even if I wasnt recording when I took pills or what I was drinking (which helps) taking the three minutes a day to jot down when I ate and what and the calories really helped me. It made me think before I ate, it reminded me to check what I was eating, and it held me accountable-- I was not about to eat "ate two pieces of pie" on my darn food journal, which kept me from EATING those 2 pieces of pie!

I wish you luck :)

prideworks
March 26th, 2010, 8:16 AM
Muscle is one of the keys to keeping the weight off. Muscle burns more calories than fat (according to Men's Health.) I took a week off of working out but ate a good bit of junk food. I was able to lose a pound overall.

If you don't have equipment, try doing body weight exercises such as pushups, squats, lunges, pullups/chinups, and crunches. They're are tons of variations on the internet if you can't do some of them.

The guy that does the "Dirty Jobs" show has a web site for his email. In it he talks about an excercise called "burpees" and performs the rapid squat thrust with a jump at the end.

pushup
April 1st, 2010, 7:17 AM
For some reason, I lose more weight when I do yoga. I don't know why I do it just does. I only do it once a week, but it knocks some pounds off and I feel pretty energized after.

cityboy
April 1st, 2010, 7:28 AM
Hey, are there any good yoga classes or yoga groups around here?

Scarlett
April 1st, 2010, 9:03 AM
I do yogo on the Wii Fit!

cityboy
April 1st, 2010, 9:33 AM
I have some really good DVDs, but I'd enjoy a class, too. Also, a meditation group would be nice. I found one, but it only meets once a month ...

Sunshine
April 1st, 2010, 12:02 PM
The guy that does the "Dirty Jobs" show has a web site for his email. In it he talks about an excercise called "burpees" and performs the rapid squat thrust with a jump at the end.

Those are killers, Jillian Michael's DVD's have a lot of these in there. You incorporate your full body weight with each one.

siamcat
April 1st, 2010, 9:36 PM
I think the key to any weight loss is to make a change that you can keep up for the rest of your life.
The weight probably won't come off fast, but you have more of a chance to keep it off.
All the fads and gimmicks might work, but are you going to be able to live that way? If not you'll end up yo-yoing.

pushup
April 5th, 2010, 6:54 AM
Rodney Yee has some good yoga DVDs. I know they're at Target.

pushup
April 13th, 2010, 7:11 AM
The best ab exercise you're not doing: the plank.

Get in pushup position but put your forearms on the floor. Keep your body straight. Hold for 30-90 seconds.

cityboy
April 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, the plank is really hard -- and effective! In case anyone cares, I am down to 190-and-holding from 215 pounds, after finishing the HCG diet a month ago. Am now working out several days a week at the gym and walking in my new Skechers. Wanting to get down at least to 180. I feel great, and have a whole new wardrobe in my closet! :-B

Rick
April 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Woohoo! Was 215 your highest?

Ain't it nice having smaller clothes? I am still holding mid-180's, not as muscular (LOL) as I was since I hurt my arm, but going to the gym is extremely painful. I am going to try three days a week until surgery. But I don't know if I can stand it.

One good thing that I told my wife was that if I gain a few while recovering, I now know how to lose them. :thumbsup

pushup
April 13th, 2010, 4:13 PM
The weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. I took some weeks off and I hardly gained anything even though I ate bad about twice a week.

Rick
April 13th, 2010, 7:42 PM
I had been eating more carbs lately. Not near the amount that should be a problem. But I am reducing them once again. I am at the point of learning to enjoy some things that I like, just moderating them.

I will be at City Grill Friday for lunch. I will have some french fries!!! Probably just half the bun on the burger...LOL

cityboy
April 13th, 2010, 7:50 PM
Woohoo! Was 215 your highest?

Ain't it nice having smaller clothes? I am still holding mid-180's, not as muscular (LOL) as I was since I hurt my arm, but going to the gym is extremely painful. I am going to try three days a week until surgery. But I don't know if I can stand it.

One good thing that I told my wife was that if I gain a few while recovering, I now know how to lose them. :thumbsup

Yeah, 215 was an all-time high. I had 6 or so pairs of brand-new slacks in my closet and all my old 34-waist blue jeans that I refused to get rid of, or upsize. Now, I can fit comfortably into the new stuff, and am no longer squeezing into the old stuff. Some of it is actually a little too big now. It's n-i-c-e ...

pushup
April 14th, 2010, 7:33 AM
I've upset my better half because the clothes she bought for me b/c I lost a lot of weight are now too loose.

Rick
April 14th, 2010, 7:37 AM
I'm in a 34 now. Down from 42!!! My wife comments on how small they look on the clothesline.

cityboy
April 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Ha! That's funny ... :))

Night Owl
April 14th, 2010, 1:12 PM
I'm in a 34 now. Down from 42!!! My wife comments on how small they look on the clothesline.

She lets you hang them on the clothesline? WOW!!!!!!:)

Rick
April 14th, 2010, 1:17 PM
:bluerofl Well, they gotta be somewhere!

FieryPrincess
April 14th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I lost 35 pounds on the hcg diet. I hope to go back for another round, but the best thing the diet did for me was to highlight food sensitivities I did not know I had.

I am actually healthier with a low-carb atkins-friendly diet.

cityboy
April 17th, 2010, 9:58 AM
I lost 35 pounds on the hcg diet. I hope to go back for another round, but the best thing the diet did for me was to highlight food sensitivities I did not know I had.

I am actually healthier with a low-carb atkins-friendly diet.

Yeah, you know, after completing the HCG diet, I'm a lot more aware of what I eat and why I eat it (emotional eating, for example, and eating simply because I'm bored). And I actually want to eat healthier now, instead of just grabbing whatever's easiest. Pretty dang cool ... :-)

christine
April 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM
here's another tip I was told...when you eat fruit it should be on an empty stomach. it will help your body take in all the nutrients

pushup
April 19th, 2010, 6:56 AM
Do a plank for as long as you can hold it, then do crunches afterward. Repeat as much as you can. Your abs will be on FIRE!:hopmad

skindog
April 22nd, 2010, 8:42 AM
I've taken up running/eliptical machine workouts again. I was a great runner in the Army, but after being out for 8+ years now and being lazy, I was starting to put on weight. After about 4 weeks on the machine and running, I've lost 9 lbs, and my pants that were getting tight are now slipping off my waist.

I'm a firm believer in cardio for burning calories and losing weight. I never really was a weight lifting kind of guy, as hard as I tried I could never get the bulk I wanted. My body just wasn't built for power, it was built for speed.

I was over 180 before I started running, and now running low 170's. It does feel good, and I get evil looks from the ex when she sees me.... >:)

cityboy
April 22nd, 2010, 9:20 AM
I've put on a few pounds in the last week, and the only thing I can figure is that it all started last Saturday, when I had way too much late-night Taco Bell on the way home from a road trip, and since then I've been eating too much processed food this week for dinner ('cause it's quicker and easier). So it's back to "cleaner" eating, I reckon, 'cause I worked too hard and I'll be danged if I'm gonna bloat back up again ...

christine
April 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
it's funny but I lost a bunch of weight after pregnacy. I'm talking like the day of having bubba I was slimmed down. baby took it all it all I guess.
but now I just watch my calories. iv lost 3lbs in two weeks just by doing that.

for the Iphone users try "lose it!" if you want to do calorie counting. nothing makes you put down that cheeseburger faster than seeing your calories in chart form. even has a work out log that you can enter calories burned.
and it's FREE

cityboy
April 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I have read about counting calories and calorie deficits and all that, but now I'm thinking that calorie source is also a factor, at least for some people. Even though I've been eating kinda cruddy food, there's no way I've been going above 2,500-2,800 calories a day, which apparently is about what I need to maintain my weight ...

christine
April 22nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I have read about counting calories and calorie deficits and all that, but now I'm thinking that calorie source is also a factor, at least for some people. Even though I've been eating kinda cruddy food, there's no way I've been going above 2,500-2,800 calories a day, which apparently is about what I need to maintain my weight ...
well I just do it to remind myself that I don't need that extra cookie & to make better choices.

did I tell you I work for a candy broker& that sample warehouse is VERY tempting somedays lol

cityboy
April 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
well I just do it to remind myself that I don't need that extra cookie & to make better choices.

did I tell you I work for a candy broker& that sample warehouse is VERY tempting somedays lol

now, that would be a lot of temptation ...

christine
April 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
now, that would be a lot of temptation ...
oooo yes, & trust me there is almost every kind of candy & snack back there. we even have a pizza oven & a pizza line it's all sooo good.:-S

cityboy
April 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think I could abstain. I'd prob'ly weigh 300 ...

pushup
May 5th, 2010, 7:42 AM
Rest is important to lose weight if you exercise. Some people think they should workout 7 days a week, but it should be closer to 3-5.

cityboy
May 5th, 2010, 8:39 AM
Found a good fat-burning program and started it this morning: walk on a treadmill for 5 minutes at 4 mph (warmup), then jump to 7.0 and jog for one minute, back down to 4.0 for one minute, up to 7.5 for a minute, down to 4.0 for a minute, up to 8.0 for a minute, and so on ... do as much of that as you can handle, then finish it off with walking 4.0 (4.2, 4.3, 4.4) for 15-20 minutes ...

Voice-of-Reason
May 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Found a good fat-burning program and started it this morning: walk on a treadmill for 5 minutes at 4 mph (warmup), then jump to 7.0 and jog for one minute, back down to 4.0 for one minute, up to 7.5 for a minute, down to 4.0 for a minute, up to 8.0 for a minute, and so on ... do as much of that as you can handle, then finish it off with walking 4.0 (4.2, 4.3, 4.4) for 15-20 minutes ...
Interval training is great! 20 minutes of interval burns about as much fat as an hour of jogging. I'm up to 9 mph with the occasional 10 thrown in.

Sunshine
May 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Interval training is great! 20 minutes of interval burns about as much fat as an hour of jogging. I'm up to 9 mph with the occasional 10 thrown in.

I have recently added HIIT training three days a week after weights. I love it, just when you think you are going to die, you get a minute of active rest (walking).

pushup
May 6th, 2010, 4:14 PM
I now do something similar HIIT training called metabolic circuits. Its when you do on lower body exercise for 1 minute then do an upper body exercise for 1 minute. I do about 10 different exercises, then rest for 2 minutes and do it again. I usually pretty gassed by the 2nd round. I have to rest for about 30 seconds after each set.

FieryPrincess
May 7th, 2010, 3:53 PM
I find avoiding sugar to be most helpful for me.

pushup
May 11th, 2010, 7:33 AM
For lent last year, I gave up french fries. I lost 5 pounds just doing that. I've stuck to that and lost even more weight. Now, I only eat them about once a week for just a little indulgence.

rsb
May 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I loveto go hiking, it really gets my heart rate going.

cnjbond
May 11th, 2010, 6:00 PM
For lent last year, I gave up french fries. I lost 5 pounds just doing that. I've stuck to that and lost even more weight. Now, I only eat them about once a week for just a little indulgence.

Lord Have Mercy, no french fries?!!!!

pushup
May 12th, 2010, 7:09 AM
Lord Have Mercy, no french fries?!!!!

It was hard at first, especially with my young son trying to give me some of his. I did crack on occasion but I was able to cut back a good bit.

Night Owl
May 12th, 2010, 7:23 AM
You did crack??????

cityboy
May 12th, 2010, 7:28 AM
You did crack??????

That'll help take the weight off, and also cut down on dental visits! :smoke

Scarlett
May 12th, 2010, 9:47 AM
It was hard at first, especially with my young son trying to give me some of his. I did crack on occasion but I was able to cut back a good bit.

I can't stop laughing....perhaps you mean you "did break on occassion?"

This is why we proofread..LOL.

cnjbond
May 12th, 2010, 4:06 PM
NO & Cityboy, you guys are nuts!!!! :bluerofl

cityboy
May 12th, 2010, 7:35 PM
Believe me, my mind is a scary place to live ... :|

Night Owl
May 12th, 2010, 8:44 PM
:thumbsup:thumbsup

pushup
May 13th, 2010, 7:18 AM
I can't stop laughing....perhaps you mean you "did break on occassion?"

This is why we proofread..LOL.

Ok ok... "I did eat french fries on occasion." I get lazy one time...

Night Owl
May 13th, 2010, 7:31 AM
All it takes is one time then **poof** you are married with kids. See what one time gets you. :):)8-;

cityboy
May 13th, 2010, 7:43 AM
All it takes is one time then **poof** you are married with kids. See what one time gets you. :):)8-;

Wow, what kind of french fries are those?

Night Owl
May 13th, 2010, 8:35 AM
Were we talking about "french" fries? My bad.:thumbsup

cnjbond
May 13th, 2010, 4:54 PM
Wow, what kind of french fries are those?

I don't know, but I think I must have eaten some!

pushup
May 26th, 2010, 6:53 AM
Squats are one of the best exercises to lose weight. It uses all of your muscles in your thighs and your hamstrings (a little.) All of those muscles being used leads to more calories being burned.

Be careful: When doing a squat, your thighs should not go past parallel to the ground.

pushup
August 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Eat soup. Most are very low in calories and they you up for a while.

christine
August 16th, 2010, 2:54 PM

I will never have another French fry again...it aperently works that way lol