PDA

View Full Version : Falcon at the Pond

THEMEANOGRE
February 19th, 2010, 9:26 AM
This morning as we were sitting down to breakfast, Mother noticed a falcon prowling about the edge of our pond. It appeared to be trying to do a little fishing. Fortunately for our livestock the water is still real murky and a bit too cold for the fish to be shallow enough for this bird of prey. That and the recent rains have the water levels too high for the raptor to do more than stand along the edge of the pond. We tried this morning but were unable to get a picture of this bird, but we'll try again. The falcon seemed somewhat hesitant to approach our fake owl. The owl is supposed to keep the birds away but doesn't do a very good job of that.
As soon as I can get some pix of the falcon, I'll post them here.

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've seen a few falcons around these parts in the past few years; also hawks. Had a huge owl that used to perch on the roof of the house next door - the only two story house on the block. He used to try and get the guinea hens that roam the hillside and valley behind my house. He was never successful, so I guess he finally gave up and moved somewhere else.

THEMEANOGRE
February 19th, 2010, 1:14 PM
I sure hope I can get a couple shots of him. A fine looking bird.

Night Owl
February 19th, 2010, 1:33 PM
I've seen a few falcons around these parts in the past few years; also hawks. Had a huge owl that used to perch on the roof of the house next door - the only two story house on the block. He used to try and get the guinea hens that roam the hillside and valley behind my house. He was never successful, so I guess he finally gave up and moved somewhere else.

That was NOT me. I am always successful when I am on the hunt.:owl:owl:owl

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2010, 2:53 PM
I hope it wasn't. But it was one big mutha!! Very majestic and regal looking bird.

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2010, 2:54 PM
I sure hope I can get a couple shots of him. A fine looking bird.

A couple of pics, I hope. Not with a 12 gauge.

Rick
February 19th, 2010, 3:24 PM
We have at least one on our property. Constantly violating the rights of moles and mice in the field. Amazing to watch.

We hears owls at night too. :))

Night Owl
February 19th, 2010, 4:50 PM
But it was one big mutha!! Very majestic and regal looking bird.
Thank you very much! I have always thought so!!!!!!:owl:owl:owl

Night Owl
February 19th, 2010, 4:51 PM
We have at least one on our property. Constantly violating the rights of moles and mice in the field. Amazing to watch.

We hears owls at night too. :))

Hey, I am in bed by that time almost always!!!!:not me:

Rick
February 19th, 2010, 5:21 PM
Funny, I didn't mention a time...GUILTY!

THEMEANOGRE
February 19th, 2010, 6:15 PM
Operating a 12ga would be a little hard on our patio. The recoil would tend to turn my wheelchair over backwards and my head smacking the concrete wouldn't do the decking any favors. And since we live in town, I imagine the neighbors might get a bit peeved.