PDA

View Full Version : Flea Infested Back Yard

EtherealFlame
January 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I moved into this house in August of last year. I love the house with the exception of the back yard. We have a fleas/sand fleas near infestation. Last year it was no big deal since my kids weren't allowed in the back yard till we could plant grass seed (it was all most all dirt/mud with sharp cement chunks scattered everywhere) and remove all the sharp debris and we don't have pets. Well it is starting to warm up and I want to start working on the yard again but we get eaten alive by those darn fleas. Can anyone recommend either a very reasonable pest control business or a fairly cheap DIY method? Thanks in advance.

pioneer
January 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Flea Control Nematodes
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2779&bhcd2=1263970639

i heard nematodes work but i never had to try them i might this year for fire ants

THEMEANOGRE
January 20th, 2010, 6:06 AM
Amway's Liquid Organic Cleaner
1 liter of that run through a garden sprayer feeder mixed 1-1 with water 2/year will eliminate pests and keep the grass nice and green at a reasonable cost.

EtherealFlame
January 20th, 2010, 2:28 PM
I will most likely try the nematodes first (I always think of Spongebob Squarepants when I type that! lol) then the Organic Cleaner if that doesn't work. Thank you both for your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Missy
January 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Try DE powder for swimming pool filters. Cheap and it works. Spread with a lawn spreader or throw and rake out. Rain does not impede its progress.

Wireman
January 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
We bought a former rental house that had the same problem. A couple of treatments with Scotts that has the 3 step insect control and it cleared it up while fertilizing the yard.