PDA

View Full Version : Wild cats

Puck
January 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have a 14 year old dog who has a pretty seriously infected bite which I'm pretty sure came from one of two wild cats that I frequently see in my backyard. My dog has pretty bad arthritis in her hindquarters and really can't run anymore, so she's pretty fair game.

Does anyone have any idea at all that might keep these cats away? I've heard that red peppers will keep cats from scratching in a garden, but doesn't strike me as possible with an entire backyard (My house is on a 1.5 lot.)

I have contemplated going out in the yard with her in the morning and turning on the hose to prepare a nice shower for kitties. While I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate the show, I don't have the time.

Any suggestions?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
January 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Some folks will trap these cats in a humane trap. Kathy Kwieran with Kathy's Kitties in Killeen has traps and the expertise to advise you in this matter. Visit her website at kathyskitties.com for contact info.

Janet
January 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I know that mothball also work to keep them away if you can't/won't trap them. I had a cat spraying my back door on a regular basis, and I put a cup full of mothballs between the screen and glass, and never got sprayed again.