PDA

View Full Version : Building a shed

skindog
December 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I'm in need of a storage shed. I'm tired of having a 3-car garage that I can't get a single car in due to all the toys, atv's, lawn care equipment, and tools that are packed in it. I looked around town and discovered that the 10X16 or 12X12 I'd need would run me over 3 grand. ABSURD!!

So I think I've talked myself into building one. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1276231.html?page=1 has a good example, and I believe I've got enough handy-man ability to pull it off. Plus, it'll be a good excuse to get more tools, and a good learning and bonding experience for my kids and I.

Has anyone built one and have tips or recommendations? I'd like to put a tin roof on it instead of shingled (I hate working with shingles). I plan on using screws instead of nails, use 2x6's for subflooring, 2x4's for walls and trusses, 3/4" flooring and 1/2" walls. I might not put windows in until later, it really depends on how frustrated I become as I build it.

Gramps
December 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I have no idea what price they're running these days, but have you looked into the Home Depot or Lowe's DIY project kits. You buy a kit with the plans/instructions and all required components and do the construction yourself.

THEMEANOGRE
December 30th, 2009, 3:51 PM
I think Gramps has a good idea, unless you get an urge to make changes before you're done. Also, you can try Jackson Buildings SW of Cove, unless you're deadset on the bonding experience. They build and deliver a good quality portable building. Plus they usually have a selection of used ones for sale.

Mestral
December 31st, 2009, 2:02 PM
Plan some shelves and other storage before you even get the shed done, or you will never have enough room inside it (because of all the stuff) to build them later.

Oh, yes, and if you live in Cove, go ahead and get the permit from the city. They will send out an inspector before you start, to insure you aren't building over some underground utility or some other such problem. Strangely enough, they are actually helpful.

christine
January 1st, 2010, 7:21 AM
I also recommend that you spend the money for good lumber. you'll need treated wood & anything that will help prevent rotting & bugs from eating your building. if you want to save money simpley reserve those materials for the base of the shed. it will help it last longer.
also remember to take the time of leveling the ground properly. you don't want it leaning in a few years
& finally, if wood is going to touch the soil be sure to cover it with metal flashing to creat a bearer between the soil and wood. you can paint it & when it rains you'll be thankful.

THEMEANOGRE
January 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
The word on the permit. Anything upto 100 sqft does NOT require a permit. Also, check your homeowner's policy. They may have clauses about spacing in relation to the house. Also, check with the building inspection folks as to placement on your property.

Mestral
January 2nd, 2010, 9:06 AM
Also, check with the building inspection folks as to placement on your property. Yes, that is what the city inspector was interested in, when I filed for my permit. His "inspection" was friendly and took only a few minutes.

Where did you learn about the less than 100 sq ft. ?
I must have missed that.
Good to know for some small projects I have in mind.

THEMEANOGRE
January 7th, 2010, 2:57 AM
I asked because I was getting a shed from Jackson Buildings. If you buy one that is already assembled you still need a permit to move it onto the property, if it is big enough.