PDA

View Full Version : Parvo and Distemper

Msradar
December 27th, 2009, 7:57 PM
I have a friend that adopted a puppy from local animal shelter. The animal began with symptoms of parvo about 24 hrs after she was brought home. My friend has an older dog( 9 yrs old) in the home already.

She seems to be clueless about this being contagious. She sleeps with her animals in the bed with her.

I advised her to do the clorox treatment or buy parvocide to clean with. The pup was vomiting and had diarrhea all over the home. At the same time she took this animal to a local vet and was told the puppy may have distemper as well..but it required scraping the inside of the puppies eyelid. So she passed up on this testing.

Now she is telling me the puppy is over parvo after about two weeks. That the vet still says distemper is unknown at this point but gave the pup distemper vaccine and told my friend "wait and see". No rabies vaccine has been given yet.

I am very concerned and I have told this friend that until the health status of this animal can be confirmed that her visits are not welcome nor her animals in my home. I sit for friends when they are out of town and do not want to risk exposing my own animals or the animals that I sit with.

She seems to think nothing about transmitting this to others and is clueless about risks to other animals. Any ideas? I am just thoroughly disgusted with this whole situation. It may cost me my friendship.

Not to mention a dog sleeping IN the bed under the covers is just plain disgusting. Especially since I personally saved a puppy from parvo many years ago. I can not imagine sleeping with a puppy smelling like parvo. :puke:

poundpup
December 27th, 2009, 9:45 PM
Parvovirus can live up to 6 months.

My question is how did the pup survive without treatment? Two weeks?

And what vet let her just walk out without testing for distemper if all the signs are there ?? A puppy ... I would think that a vet would do the test, regardless since these are epidemic diseases.

Something definitely smells fishy here...

Janet
December 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I agree, poundpup. Something is suspecious here. If the pup had parvo, it should have been quarintened at the vet away from other animals and humans. Sounds like the vet isn't to smart either if he's allowing a dog to leave his office with parvo. My vet will not allow any animal to leave the office with parvo or distemper. In fact, if the animal has distemper, he will say to humanely put the animal down.

FieryPrincess
December 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think your friend is in denial and that you have made the right call in what you told her.

Msradar
December 28th, 2009, 5:59 PM
The puppy was picked up one day..and threw up. Then the next day had diarrhea, vomiting which progressed to dry heaves which was a Sunday.
The pup was then taken to after hours clinic that day and then the next day to her personal vet. The personal vet told her they thought the pup "may" have distemper. Parvo was diagnosed at the after hours ER vet with parvo test.

Actually at home treatment of parvo is not uncommon. I have done it. The pup was taken in daily for shots of anti-emetics, Fluids and pain meds. This was done for week. The the pup was placed on oral meds.

The personal vet was the one that stated the pup "may" have distemper but due to the way they get the sample they allowed her to defer that testing until the puppy was in better shape.

This is the reason I am sooo shocked a puppy that MAY have a contagious disease that can be fatal to other animals and was was allowed to leave without proof positive that the puppy is healthy. Sad part is that this pup has been out and I am sure if it is contagious has spread it.

I am sure the is a lot of denial and miss information here..

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 30th, 2009, 7:09 PM
Just checking in from Colorado but I think I need to clear a few things up.....

First of all, no veterinarian can make a client leave a sick animal in-hospital for treatment. The client may not have the finances to treat the pet or the client just may not consent to treatment.

Secondly, there is no EASY or FAST test for canine distemper. Results can take several days and can still be inconclusive.

Thirdly, parvovirus can live for YEARS in the environment and every puppy is exposed to the virus in some form as they age. The key is for the puppy to have received adequate immunity from its mother's milk and to have been vaccinated at 6 weeks of age and then follow a booster schedule. Also dogs that are older than 12 months of age usually have enough immunity to fight off infection even if exposed. Infection can occur but it is very uncommon.

Parvovirus is very expensive to treat as either a hospitalized or outpatient. Limited financial resources is usually the biggest factor that drives decision-making. Unfortunately, unlimited financial resources does not guarantee a positive outcome. If a pup with parvovirus is introduced into your environment then you must make sure that your pets are fully vaccinated, free of internal parasites or other stress factors. You can clean areas where a parvo pup defecates with 50% Clorox/Water solution and kill the virus pretty well but obviously this does not work for fabrics and treating the outside environment is nearly impossible to eradicate.

Pups adopted from shelters should be examined immediately upon adoption and immunized accordingly. Unfortunately, pups may be incubating the virus when adopted and not exhibit any signs of the disease at the time of exam but break with the disease hours to days later. Shelter adoptions are extremely important and are good deeds but come with some risks.

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Msradar
December 30th, 2009, 7:18 PM
Thank you Dr Buckley. you are correct. Money was a big concern. Even more concern is that when money is a problem why adopt another animal???

I am sure this is a question you get all the time and it has not sensible answers.

To me if you can spend $300 plus at the ER clinic and more vet visits for follow up...scrimping on the distemper test is crazy. And how much can this test possibly cost!!

Well, my friend is going to just have to be angry....no distemper test...she is not welcome. This wait and see attitude is not going to fly with me...nor will I risk exposing my personal animals or the ones that I sit for.

dragonfly
December 31st, 2009, 9:23 AM
Have you heard how the pup is doing?

Msradar
December 31st, 2009, 9:50 AM
I have been told the pup made a full recovery from Parvo. Was vaccinated for distemper. The owner was told it could be months before it is know if the pup has distemper or not. No rabies was given at this time. They are waiting due to the pup having been soon sick.