PDA

View Full Version : Back Leg on a Cat

jmc629
December 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
We recently got our cat back after being lost outdoors for almost a month. She is down to 4 pounds and her back leg where it bends like the knee if scraped completly to the bone. The first night back we gave her a bath and cleaned it with peroxide which I know now we are not suppose to do and have wrapped it with guaze and triple antibotic cream every night. We have been cleaning it with saline and keeps wrapping it. It does not seem to bother her but last night when cleaning I was trimming some of the the hair around the wound and when I picked a piece up and skin came up with it and I could see the bone going up her back leg. I am not quite sure what to do next, We are military and have had some things come up recently and really can not afford a large vet bill or at least have some one that would be willing to take payments until our taxes come in. We really want to keep this cat as she is my daughters best friend and now that we finally have her back I am not about to give her up again. She is eating and drinking water and using the litter box with no problems. Her nose also has been running and she has been sneezing alot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 16th, 2009, 3:04 PM
The wound is probably too old to suture and therefore may need to heal on its own. As long as there is no infection and adequate blood supply then healing should occur. A visit to your veterinarian may provide you with the opportunity to have infection, blood supply and any other concurrent factors evaluated without spending too much money. Furthermore, your veterinarian can provide you with a wound care plan so that the kitty heals as quickly as possible. Be up front with your vet and let him/her know that your funds are limited and you need an inexpensive alternative therapy. Most will be happy to oblige. Additionally, the sneezing could be evaluated as well. I wish you good luck with your kitty and a very Merry Christmas.

Scarlett
December 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I had a cat once that got under my uncles car in the winter...she had climbed up under the hood because the engine was warm...he started his car not knowing the cat was there...the belts ripped all the fur, skin, muscle, everything down to the bone on her back leg...
We cleaned it and did pretty much what you are doing, and although her back leg never LOOKED the same, she was fine. It took a long time to heal completely though...
They are right when they say cats have nine lives.

FieryPrincess
December 19th, 2009, 9:16 AM
On an unrelated note, a had an ex-boyfriend hear mewing from his hood after he had driven home. He steeled himself for the mess he was likely to find and opened the hood to find a tiny kitten in probably the only place it could be without getting damaged.

Talk about nine lives!

He named the cat after his car: Nissan.

bytem
December 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
On an unrelated note, a had an ex-boyfriend hear mewing from his hood after he had driven home. He steeled himself for the mess he was likely to find and opened the hood to find a tiny kitten in probably the only place it could be without getting damaged.

Talk about nine lives!

He named the cat after his car: Nissan.

Seems like he should have been driving a dodge.Lucky kitty!:thumbsup