PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Anyone?

CenTexDave
December 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
The five finalists are:

Colt McCoy, Texas QB - 3512 yards passing, 27 TD, 12 int

Tim Tebow, Florida QB - don't have his stats, but he wasn't as productive as he was last year or the year before when he won the Heisman.

Mark Ingram, Alabama RB - 1542 yards rushing, 15 TD

Toby Gerhart, Stanford RB - 1736 yards rushing (lead NCAA), 25 TD, 1 TD passing.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska DT - a monster. Best college defensive lineman I've seen in the past two decades.

Who would you vote for, and why??

My choice: A tie between Gerhart and Suh.
McCoy looked lost against Nebraska (mainly because of Suh).
Tebow isn't that great of a QB. He isn't even in the Top 40 in passing stats.
The best passer this year was Case Keenum of Houston, who threw for 5449 yards and 43 TD and only 9 interceptions.
Jimmy Clausen from Notre Dame threw for 3722 yareds and 28 TD. Yet these two aren't even on the list because this award always seems to go to a national powerhouse team's favorite player.
Ingram isn't even in the ballpark in the rushing stats. Donald Buckrum, former Cove RB now at UTEP, had 1594 yards and played one game less than Ingram.
Gerhart is a horse, and when you have one you ride'em and that's just what Stanford did when they played Notre Dame. 205 yards rushing and threw for a TD.
Suh lead the NCAA with 85 tackles and had 12 sacks. 12 sacks is incredible for a DT.

Night Owl
December 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
McCoy because he should have won last year and he is a Longhorn.

Spartan
December 8th, 2009, 3:50 PM
Suh -- because I would have a great laugh listening to all the talking heads trying to pronounce his name.

cityboy
December 9th, 2009, 6:28 AM
Saw some highlights of Suh from the UT game. Wow. Definite 1st pick in the draft, I'd say. And an instant all-pro in the NFL. Colt McCoy is not a little guy, and Suh grabbed him and slung him three or four yards in the air ...

Deacon Klaus
December 9th, 2009, 3:54 PM
When was the last time that the Heisman was given to a defensive player? I can't think of one in my lifetime.

cnjbond
December 9th, 2009, 5:10 PM
I think it was Charles Woodson.

CenTexDave
December 9th, 2009, 6:04 PM
But Woodson also played on offense and ran back kicks.
No defensive player has ever won the Heisman. This guy should receive due consideration. He is a menace to the opposition.

cnjbond
December 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hey now you're getting technical...lol.

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2009, 8:21 PM
Ingram wins. Gerhart finishes 2nd, McCoy 3rd, Suh 4th and Tebow 5th.
Rubbish. Ingram finished 5th in the NCAA in rushing. Gerhart was first. Even Donald Buckrum, Cove HS RB now at UTEP finished fourth in rushing and had better stats.
This was strictly a sentimental pick because Alabama has never before had a Heisman winner.

cityboy
December 13th, 2009, 9:06 AM
I was pretty impressed with Ingram, watching him accept the award. He seems like a really nice, humble, down-to-earth guy. Good for him ...

kantwin
December 13th, 2009, 9:51 AM
Ingram wins. Gerhart finishes 2nd, McCoy 3rd, Suh 4th and Tebow 5th.
Rubbish. Ingram finished 5th in the NCAA in rushing. Gerhart was first. Even Donald Buckrum, Cove HS RB now at UTEP finished fourth in rushing and had better stats.
This was strictly a sentimental pick because Alabama has never before had a Heisman winner.
Did UTEP play the same caliber of teams that Alabama played?
Just because your guy didn't win doesn't mean it was a "sentimental" pick.
Ingram won 4 of the 6 regions. Even though it was the closest vote, I'd say it was pretty definitive.

CenTexDave
December 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I didn't have a "your guy". I was merely pointing out Buckrum had more yards. Some guy from Nevada or Fresno State or one of those type teams also had more yards. No, they didn't play the same caliber of team. Of course, Ingram picked up a whole 36 yards in 16 carries against Auburn, not exactly a powerhouse team this year.
We'll see how he does against Texas. Texas held Buckrum to his season low this year - something like 45 yards.

Spartan
December 13th, 2009, 2:05 PM
Ingram is a whoos! That mamby-pamby cried. What a disgrace the manhood! We need to check his DNA he may be a shemale.

Iteachtoo
December 13th, 2009, 5:33 PM
Ingram is a whoos! That mamby-pamby cried. What a disgrace the manhood! We need to check his DNA he may be a shemale.

That just told me all I need to know about your personality!!

Spartan
December 13th, 2009, 6:56 PM
That just told me all I need to know about your personality!!

Wow! Married over 40 years to the same woman and she can not make that claim. You are good. Ah but then you said "need" to know -- which is zero. :):)

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2009, 6:16 AM
A good article on ESPN's website stating they shouldn't have awarded a Heisman this year because there was truly no one deserving. Well, sorry to jar ESPN, but the Heisman is awarded by the Downtown Athletic Club of New York City. Of course they are going to award it. Maybe this year the candidates didn't stand out like years past.

cityboy
December 14th, 2009, 6:40 AM
Dawned on my yesterday while playing golf ... was Earl Campbell there at the ceremony? I don't remember seeing him amongst the other past Heisman winners ...

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2009, 7:45 AM
Earl Campbell is pretty much crippled and confined to a wheelchair. Those 35 carries per game took their toll on him.

Charles Grubb
December 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Ingram, I call him "Deuces" because he wears "22", is going to run all over Texas' defense.
Ingram, aka "Deuces', will help Alabama win their first national title.
He'll also get the MVP!
This kid will play on Sunday, soon!

Charles Grubb
December 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Dawned on my yesterday while playing golf ... was Earl Campbell there at the ceremony? I don't remember seeing him amongst the other past Heisman winners ...

I didn't see The Juice there, either. :?
You think he's busy looking for the "killers"? :rolleyes

cityboy
December 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Please don't mention O.J. in the same breath as Earl Campbell ...

Night Owl
December 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Ingram, I call him "Deuces" because he wears "22", is going to run all over Texas' defense.
Ingram, aka "Deuces', will help Alabama win their first national title.
He'll also get the MVP!
This kid will play on Sunday, soon!

Opinions are like @#$%^&*(. That is why they play the game on the field. Longhorns will be National Champs again.

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
O.J. couldn't attend the ceremony Saturday night. He's the guest of the State of Nevada for the next 30 years or so!:))

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I still don't think Ingram deserved the Heisman. He ranked 5th in rushing. When I pointed out that Donald Buckrum of Cove, who played for UTEP, had more yards and was ranked 4th someone stated the level of competition was worse. Overall, yes, but let's see all the "powerhouses" that Alabama and Ingram played and his stats:
Virginia Tech: 26 carries - 150 yards
Florida International (definitely a top notch team!) 10 carries - 56 yards
North Texas (8 carries - 91 yards
Arkansas (good team) 17 carries for 50 yards.
LSU: 5 carries for 30 yards
Auburn: 16 carries for 30 yards
Chattanooga: A real tough game there - 11 carries for 102.
Yes, he had some superb games like against SEC powerhouse Kentucky (:))) with 140 yards, laughable South Carolina with 246, weak Miss State with 149 and of course his Heisman winning game against a vastly overrated Florida defense with 113 yards.
Get real. He's a good RB, but didn't deserve the Heisman. And I'm not so sure he's going to rip through Texas' defense either. They pretty much stopped everybody who tried this year.

cnjbond
December 14th, 2009, 4:53 PM
He can run as much as he wants so long as the Horns win!!!!! I saw on Mike & Mike this morning that only 1 out of the past 8 or so Heisman winners have won the National Championship game that same season...I hope that trend continues!

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2009, 7:13 PM
That's true. Jason White of #1 Oklahoma got blown away by USC. Eric Crouch of #1 Nebraska got beat. Troy Smith of #1 Ohio State got beaten badly.
Something else interesting - until last year the #2 ranked team always beat the #1 ranked team.
Keep your fingers crossed.

cnjbond
December 14th, 2009, 9:30 PM
That's true. Jason White of #1 Oklahoma got blown away by USC. Eric Crouch of #1 Nebraska got beat. Troy Smith of #1 Ohio State got beaten badly.
Something else interesting - until last year the #2 ranked team always beat the #1 ranked team.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Fingers, toes, eyes, legs, arms, heart...all will be crossed if that will help the Horns win!