PDA

View Full Version : Off the shelf medicine

Night Owl
December 7th, 2009, 1:33 PM
Is there any medicine that can be safely given to older dogs that are starting to have problems getting around. I have two shelties (ages11 and 10) that are beginning to hav eproblems getting up at times. Most of the time they are fine but when the weather changes they have problems getting up and walking. Once they start moving they seem to be fine but the struggle at times to stand up.

Thanks for your help.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 7th, 2009, 1:40 PM
Aspirin is probably one of the most underutilized medications in veterinary medicine. Though it can be a little hard on the tummy at first, it can provide tremendous relief for dogs suffering from mild to moderate arthritis pain. Petco or other pet retailers sell a "pet" preparation of the med OTC that has a convenient dosing chart on the bottle. If you would like to use a human preparation, please provide each dog's weight and I'll calculate it for you. Always give aspirin with a small amount of food and monitor for GI upset after dosing.

Scarlett
December 7th, 2009, 2:35 PM
And simple truths like this are why we love Dr. Buckley!

Thanks doc! :thumbsup

Night Owl
December 7th, 2009, 3:40 PM
Aspirin is probably one of the most underutilized medications in veterinary medicine. Though it can be a little hard on the tummy at first, it can provide tremendous relief for dogs suffering from mild to moderate arthritis pain. Petco or other pet retailers sell a "pet" preparation of the med OTC that has a convenient dosing chart on the bottle. If you would like to use a human preparation, please provide each dog's weight and I'll calculate it for you. Always give aspirin with a small amount of food and monitor for GI upset after dosing.

Major - 42 lbs (Big Sheltie and not overweight for his size)
Baron - 28 lbs

Thanks Doc for all the information. I have been told NOT to give dogs aspirin. Glad to find out that is not correct.

engteach64
December 7th, 2009, 4:13 PM
You know what? I love that a vet is willing to share something like this. I've been told about aspirin before too, but use it only when told. Right now I just want my babies (2 beagles) to stay healthy, they are getting old.

Deb
December 8th, 2009, 8:05 AM
I know that dogs can NOT be given Tylenol, Advil, and things like that. They can be given only asprin. One of my Pomeranians is under "doctors orders" to be given half a childeren's asprin every other day for her heart murmur. My Cocker Spanial gets Rimadyle for the arthritis in his hips.

MeinLieberSchollie62
December 8th, 2009, 9:17 AM
What about Glucosamine Chews?
I when I had my two older dogs I went to the Vet and they gave me some for them. They are chewable and worked wonders for them. I have heard that some people give the Glucosamine from the Drug Store but I was too scared to do that so I opted for what the vet perscribed. I am a firm believer in Glucosamine, especially for large breed dogs ....... as I had great success with it

SunDevil
December 8th, 2009, 4:44 PM
What about Glucosamine Chews?
I when I had my two older dogs I went to the Vet and they gave me some for them. They are chewable and worked wonders for them. I have heard that some people give the Glucosamine from the Drug Store but I was too scared to do that so I opted for what the vet perscribed. I am a firm believer in Glucosamine, especially for large breed dogs ....... as I had great success with it

I used those for my elderly chocolate lab, Dr. Buckley told me about them, and they worked wonders!! I used the granules vs the chewables, just sprinkled it on her food. It was a little pricey but well worth it. It was like she was 5 years younger.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 8th, 2009, 6:59 PM
I like the Glucosamine chews as well. Some dogs really respond well to these. There is a new product called Myristol which contains myristoleate, MSM and glucosamine and is prepared in a tablet (or you can use the horse granules if your dogs like apple flavoring). This has worked very well in my canine patients and my own horses.