PDA

View Full Version : NYC!

Scarlett
October 26th, 2009, 6:36 PM
Get ready for my next trip, as updated through CENTEXTALK...haha.

I am going to NYC for a week during Thanksgiving. Taking my best friend, because she makes me laugh and she has never been there.

So since it is my first divorced holiday, and he gets the kids for it, I decided I didn't want to sit around alone. So off I go! Seven days of no responsibilities...staying with my cousin...gonna have a blast.

For SURE, on our list, is the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground Zero, and the UN. Also...the toy store from the movie BIG, and Trump Plaza.

Any other ideas for two fun, single, history teaching chics, let us know!!!!

Supergirl
October 26th, 2009, 7:14 PM
Sounds like a great time!!!! I've never been to NYC for more than a layover but everywhere else I've found that you need to explore away from the normal tourist places and in a city as big as that I'm sure you'll find wonderful 'mom and pop' type attractions!

Scarlett
October 26th, 2009, 7:51 PM
I have gone a few times, this is the first time I have taken a friend!
I know we are going to have a BLAST. The holidays in NYC are, according to my cousin, unlike anything else.

Our biggest problem...trying to figure out what to pack! It is COLD there, and I no longer have COLD weather clothes! I bought a fox fur coat in Greece, so am happy to be able to have a place to wear that...haha.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2009, 9:28 PM
You have to include a trip to the top of the Empire State Building. Breathtaking.
And I'm sure you can always find some watering hole that makes good chocolate martinis.

Scarlett
October 27th, 2009, 6:48 AM
I have done the Empire State Building several times, cost a lot to go up an elevator but you are right about the view! If she wants to go up it, we will go though!

And I already have the best bartender in the Village on standby. Did you know they deliver there? Ahhh I love me some NYC!

THEMEANOGRE
October 27th, 2009, 6:52 AM
West Point is somewhere up the Hudson. Not sure how far, but bursting at the seams with history.

cityboy
October 27th, 2009, 7:06 AM
I have done the Empire State Building several times, cost a lot to go up an elevator but you are right about the view! If she wants to go up it, we will go though!

And I already have the best bartender in the Village on standby. Did you know they deliver there? Ahhh I love me some NYC!

I am so jealous ... I love me some NYC, too ... :((

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM

You will also have to sample a pizza or two. Excellent NYC pizza.
And find a local corner deli and get probably the best Reuben or corned beef sandwich in the world. Warning: Take some Rolaids or Tums with you.:)

THEMEANOGRE
October 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Enjoy yourself, but not too much. After all, we do want you back in a week. Plus, we want plenty of pics.

secretary
October 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You will also have to sample a pizza or two. Excellent NYC pizza.
And find a local corner deli and get probably the best Reuben or corned beef sandwich in the world. Warning: Take some Rolaids or Tums with you.:)

Make sure you go to Katz's Deli (205 East Houston* Street) if you want the best of the best.
*It's pronounced "How-ston" not like the city, Houston. If you say "Houston" you're gonna get beat up. ;)
Go to Chinatown and eat at Wo-Hop 17 (17 Mott St., downstairs [Canal St.] Manhattan, NY 10013, 212-267-2536). Best damn Chinese food in NYC! The waitstaff are quick which might seem rude, but they're only that way because it's so busy. Best time to go would be around 1 - 2:30 AM...that's when things get "interesting".
While you're down there, be sure to head a few blocks North up to Little Italy....the pizza is to die for.
Please visit the Bronx Zoo! The Christmas lights should be up by then.
Visit every museum you possibly can, especially the American Museum of Natural History and MoMA.
Take a walk through Greenwich Village. It's beautiful down there and the diversity is pretty amazing (so are the shops ;)).
If you can swing it, go see Wicked on Broadway!!! Catch a matinee show - cheap and won't be as crowded. BEST SHOW EVER! :thumbsup
Last but definitely not least, TAKE A LOT OF MONEY WITH YOU or make sure your debit card can handle all the transactions you're gonna make! :))

Your diet will be shot to hell with this trip! :)

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Have fun on your trip!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Night Owl
October 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Go to Rick's pasture. It is much more beautiful and alot cheaper.

secretary
October 27th, 2009, 4:43 PM
10. Don't forget about going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! :)

Scarlett
October 27th, 2009, 6:44 PM
Ok, I have done Little Italy, to die for is right!
Haven't done the zoo...adding that to list.
Love those two museums. We will probably do those again.
Wicked is on my hope to have time for list!!!!!!
Money? Taking donations now...HAHA.

Scarlett
October 27th, 2009, 6:45 PM
Go to Rick's pasture. It is much more beautiful and alot cheaper.

Nope, grew up in the country, can see that anywhere....
A lot is two words.
And if you have never been to NYC, then you don't understand...It is truly beautiful as well!

Charles Grubb
October 27th, 2009, 8:38 PM
Central Park has a neat little zoo, as well.
Rockefeller Center will be decorated.
RC also has an ice skating rink.
You should visit THE RUSSIAN TEA ROOM.

For over eighty years, New York’s defining cultural moments have taken place at Russian Tea Room. Ever since members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927, it has been a second home for boldface names and the intellectual elite—an exclusive enclave where actors, writers, politicians, and businessmen planned their next deals and feted their friends’ latest Carnegie Hall performances. The lively tradition and legacy of the Russian Tea Room is alive and well!
http://www.russiantearoomnyc.com/subindex.php?p=aboutus
The Staten Island Ferry is free.
It operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are many UNUSUAL sites to view on the ferry.
The Waldorf Astoria, Trump Plaza, and many other great New York City hotels are worth the visit.
A subway ride is an experience.
They'll take you anywhere in the five buroughs.
Times Square will entertain you for hours, if you are so inclined.
You can obtain theatre tickets through this site or your hotel concierge.
http://www.broadway.com/
After (or before) a Broadway play visit Sardi's.
http://www.sardis.com/htmldocs/cms/
The food is good, but the caricatures of celebrities are worth the visit.
http://www.sardis.com/htmldocs/cms/images/sardis_ani.gif
http://www.sardis.com/htmldocs/cms/images/sardis_address_white.gif
You have to visit The Carnegie Deli, 854 Seventh Ave. at 55th Street, New York City, New York, 10019 Tel: 212-757-2245!
Feast your eyes on the best corned beef sandwich money can buy.
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/images/sandwich.jpg
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/images/top_1.jpg

cityboy
October 27th, 2009, 8:46 PM
A ride on the Staten Island Ferry is pretty cool ... :-Band don't be afraid of the subways. Once you get the hang of it, it's a great way to get around ...

Scarlett
October 27th, 2009, 9:04 PM
What part of...I HAVE DONE NYC did you not get Cityboy? Haha.
Subways are no challenge for me! ;)

Charles, that sandwich just made my to do list! WOW!

I have only ever gone all alone, so I am really looking forward to taking a friend this time.

secretary
October 27th, 2009, 9:41 PM
Scarlett, take Charles' advice and get the broadway tickets online. They'll be waiting for you at the Box Office (if you choose that option).

Wicked is WORTH IT. Come on, how can you have the "Wicked" avatar NOT go see the show? :)

Night Owl
October 27th, 2009, 9:52 PM
Nope, grew up in the country, can see that anywhere....
A lot is two words.
And if you have never been to NYC, then you don't understand...It is truly beautiful as well!

I know.
Again, I know.
Been there, done that alot. No place for a country boy.

secretary
October 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
11. Go to Junior's! They've got a location in Grand Central Station and Downtown Brooklyn.

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

http://nycitymama.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/img_1663.jpg

Charles Grubb
October 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Charles, that sandwich just made my to do list! WOW!

I have only ever gone all alone, so I am really looking forward to taking a friend this time.

The Carnegie Deli makes the best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten.
Trust me, I've eaten quite a few.
What makes The Carnegie Deli's sandwiches so great is that it is Kosher.
No one does corned beef sandwiches better than Jewish people, no one!
You also gotta try one of their knish's.
Enjoy!

cityboy
October 28th, 2009, 9:33 AM

Sorry, darlin' ... I was kinda speakin' to the masses, in general. :-) I finally conquered the subways last time I was there. I am soooo friggin' jealous, BUT I also am going to do my damndest to spend a week there next summer. If not, then for sure next Thanksgiving or maybe Christmas!!!

causeandeffect
October 29th, 2009, 2:57 PM
If you have a daughter the American Girl store is a cool place.

Scarlett
October 29th, 2009, 6:29 PM
I have a daughter...two actually....but they aren't going with me and mama ain't shopping for them this time! They are going to Disney World with their father...this is MAMA'S trip. :thumbsup

TexMexYum
October 29th, 2009, 7:49 PM
Shopping on Canal Street is so much fun...lotsa junk, but some great knock-offs if you take the time to look. I loved riding the red double-decker buses and sitting on top. The Lion King on Broadway is by far the most fabulous show I have ever seen - props, scenery, music, etc. I still get goose bumps when I remember the opening sunrise scene. If you're not too set on a certain show, you might try the 1/2 price ticket booth in times square to see what they have available. Times Square people watching is free and also very entertaining. I even enjoyed the subway rides - meeting and listening to all kinds of people. I'm green with envy that you are going!! I hope you have a fabulous time! And, if possible.....bring us back some of that cheescake in Secretary's picture (I'll take strawberry)! Yummy!

THEMEANOGRE
October 29th, 2009, 9:29 PM
Scarlett, make mine chocolate!

causeandeffect
October 30th, 2009, 9:07 AM
Try to go to a live taping of a tv show or something...It would be a blast to be at Saturday Night Live I bet!!!

I would LOVE to go to taping or The Big Bang Theory... although my husband may feel threatened cause I love Sheldon and Wolowitz!!!

It is awesome that you are doing an "all about me" trip. I wouldn't know what to do! :-0

Scarlett
October 30th, 2009, 2:34 PM
We are going to try to get to the Today Show or something. It is on our possiblility list! ;)

I am just really looking forward to another ME trip...haha. I hope that doesn't make me sound selfish!

causeandeffect
October 30th, 2009, 3:30 PM
Heck no girl! It sounds awesome!! I think all moms, especially working single moms, were able to get a break like that every now and then! I hope you have a BLAST!!!!

Texas Immigrant
November 5th, 2009, 9:42 AM
Make time for Wicked. I saw it in Austin and I imagine the Broadway show is even better. Austin was pretty wicked itself. Go see Letterman. I think that would be fun. I've never been, but I sooooooooooooooo want to go to NYC.

Scarlett
November 23rd, 2009, 9:53 PM
I am flying out of here in the morning people! If you hear of a problem on a Delta from Killeen to Atlanta, then Atlanta to JFK, I swear it is not my fault.....

Catch ya all next week back here, and I will be posting pictures soon!
(Yes, the laptop is heading to the city with me!)

FieryPrincess
November 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I promise I will behave in your absence.

You behave too. But have fun. If the two don't go together - just have fun!

Scarlett
November 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have a bail bondsman on call...fun will certainly be had..hehehehe...

Sunshine
November 24th, 2009, 4:31 AM
Have fun!

Msradar
November 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Carnegie Deli is really good. Don't order two seperate meals..THEY ARE HUGE portions!!

THEMEANOGRE
November 24th, 2009, 5:08 PM
Just don't forget to come back here, where we all adore "our little Scarlett".

Scarlett
November 25th, 2009, 4:55 PM
Spent the day at Times Square...Rockefeller Plaza, NBC Studios, The wax museum, some Irish Pub...yummy...
Looking forward to Thanksgiving tomorrow!

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2009, 8:49 AM
You cheated this year - you aren't spending all morning in the kitchen cooking!! :))
Enjoy your vacation.

THEMEANOGRE
November 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
That's why she packed the little ones of with Dad to somewhere they could have fun, then flew off in the opposite direction.

Sunshine
November 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Spent the day at Times Square...Rockefeller Plaza, NBC Studios, The wax museum, some Irish Pub...yummy...
Looking forward to Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Where they all decorated for Christmas yet?

Scarlett
November 28th, 2009, 9:00 PM
They are putting up the tree now. Macys is all decked out. Everyone has been very nice. We are staying in the heart of Spanish Harlem and my blonde self stands out! but it is awesome. Tomorrow we are going to to radio city music all for the rockettes Christmas spectacular so that should be great. Then down to ground zero I think. Monday will be Ellis island and statue of liberty. Today we went to museum of natural history and central park. I think I have lost too much weight with all this walking!!!!
I will post picks when I get home I forgot the cord ! Love ya Ll!!

THEMEANOGRE
November 28th, 2009, 9:10 PM
I've been waiting all week for pix and you forgot the cord! Well, I guess I can wait 'til ya git back here.

Scarlett
November 29th, 2009, 3:54 PM
Lots of pics are already on my facebook for those of you who follow me there! Haha.

Anyhow, today I went to the Rockette Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music hall..it was spectacular! Ate at Planet Hollywood...went to FAO Swartz, Trump Tower and Central Park again.

Getting a tattoo here in about an hour....figured it is the one souvenir I can't lose!

kryptickancer
November 30th, 2009, 7:59 AM
What kinda tattoo did ya get?

Scarlett
December 1st, 2009, 7:55 AM
I will post a pic of it when I get home. I did that last night and finished it up at midnight. It is awesome!

THEMEANOGRE
December 5th, 2009, 5:41 PM
Listening to this evening's (Sat 05 Dec 09) news, it sounds like Scarlett got back in time.

TexMexYum
December 22nd, 2009, 9:12 PM
They are putting up the tree now. Macys is all decked out. Everyone has been very nice. We are staying in the heart of Spanish Harlem and my blonde self stands out! but it is awesome. Tomorrow we are going to to radio city music all for the rockettes Christmas spectacular so that should be great. Then down to ground zero I think. Monday will be Ellis island and statue of liberty. Today we went to museum of natural history and central park. I think I have lost too much weight with all this walking!!!!
I will post picks when I get home I forgot the cord ! Love ya Ll!!

I'm still eagerly and patiently waiting for pics!