PDA

View Full Version : Personal Trainers

Rick
October 4th, 2009, 5:04 PM
Has anyone ever used one? If so, was it worth the money?

Here's why I am asking.

I joined Gold's gym the other day and yesterday, I had an orientation session with a personal trainer. Which amounted to a sales pitch for expensive personal training sessions. I didn't like how it turned into somewhat of a guilt trip over what I should be doing. After all, I am 48 years old. My shoulder looks like a roadmap of scars from six surgeries and the muscles are so full of scar tissue that could easily tear and then I would not be able to do anything. I have daily pain from the spinal column fusion in my neck, so my goal is to avoid pain while getting and staying healthy.

But I did learn some stuff about how hard I should be working as it pertains to my heart rate for weight loss. So it was worth the time. I told her that I just want to lose more weight and lose the remaining midsection I am carrying around. She didn't seem to understand where I was and where I am now and the accomplishment I have made thus far. But I don't think I will be paying $70.00 an hour to do a bunch of exercises that I don't want to do. Besides, if it becomes too much work and is too structured, I am not going to do it.

Deb
October 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't waste the money, Rick. When I joined the gym 2.5 years ago, they tried to talk me into signing up with their personal trainers they have at the gym. I told them no. I figure $25/month is enough money to spend to use the equipment. If I need to learn how to use a machine, they can show me how to use it for nothing. I can't see spending $20 for 30 minutes of training, when I can do the same thing by myself. The personal trainers have also tried calling me to sign up at $25 for a 30 minute session. I told that guy hell no. $25 will buy me 1 week of gas for my car. In fact, one personal trainer told me I was using the equipment wrong. He was so full of s**t. There is only 1 way to use the machine. Grab the handles and push down towards the floor and back up. Believe me, I told him if I use the equipment his way, he would pay for my ambulance ride, hospital/doctor bills, and taxi ride from the hospital to pick up my car. His way, the handles would hit my hips. I've got enough problems without the equipment hitting them.

cityboy
October 5th, 2009, 2:38 PM
Hey, Rick, just do some research, bro' ... there's tons of info on the Internet about how to work out for whatever goals you have ...

VooDooBaby
October 5th, 2009, 2:50 PM
Wow, I'm really glad I didn't join Gold's. When I joined GymX, they gave me my free evaluation thing, and then asked me if I would be interested in a personal trainer. I told them no, they left me alone. They did let me know however that I need to concentrate on weight training more than cardio. No one has ever emailed me, called me, or bugged me about getting a personal trainer. I like how they kinda leave me alone haha

If gold's has classes, which I'm sure they do, I would suggest trying a few of the different classes. I really like the Body Pump class. You can control how much weight you are using. You don't have to be coordinated, and the moves aren't fast. Boy, do you get a workout though :)

Rick
October 5th, 2009, 3:01 PM
I do not plan to use one and they aren't bugging me. They just set up a free orientation for me and that is what I went to on Saturday. I didn't mind it because I learned some things that I put into use this morning and it seemed to make better use of the time I spent at the gym.

My #1 goal is to not injure my shoulder again. They are offering a class (free) where they determine how hard you should work out to avoid injury. I probably will look into that.

texaswhatever
October 6th, 2009, 7:44 AM
I need someone to help me get into a weight training regime. I can hop on a treadmill and run for days...but when it comes to weights...I have no idea what I'm doing. Any volunteers that go to Gold's care to help me out?

VooDooBaby
October 6th, 2009, 5:44 PM
texaswhatever, go on youtube and look up body pump. You can see the different tracks they do for each muscle group. You really might want to try a class if you want to get some good muscle toning in. I just checked the site, and gold's offers them. I've been doing the class twice a week for about 3 weeks now, and someone commented today that my arms are looking really toned. They better, cause they hurt in that good workout way! :)

Sunshine
October 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I had a personal trainer for about a year at Heritage Park. I really enjoyed it because I didn't have to think about what program I wanted to do, she already had the weights planned out. Plus, having someone there push you really helped because I don't think on my own I could ever have done the weights that she had me doing. That said, it was money well spent and with my husband deployed, it gave me something to do.

Now that I have moved, I needed to continue some type of routine so I did some research online. I purchased the e-book "The truth about 6-pack abs", it was $39.95. Gives you specific routines that last in 6 week intervals. Starts at beg-int and then you work up to advanced. It also gives you meal ideas as well. The overall view of the book is to do multi-joint exercises about 3 times a week with specific ab training. Then instead of just regular cardio, you do interval running as your cardio. I have been doing research on the computer to see if constant cardio or interval cardio is better. The results are mixed, but I will continue with this new training for a while. All of the weight stuff uses free weights instead of machines.

Rick
October 11th, 2009, 5:02 AM
That's my biggest problem. Structure. I don't want to have a bunch of rules and routine. I want to do what I feel like doing.

I do understand what she told me as far as doing the same thing and I get to a plateau. So I am going to look into learning other things.

Thanks for the info.

Sunshine
October 11th, 2009, 6:05 AM
That is why I like the ebook I got. It has two routines in it per every 6wks that you alternate along with interval running. It also includes more exercises that you can substitute, so if you have any injurys you can take that into account. I think the biggest thing I learned from training is that so much of what people do in the gym is really pointless unless you are doing it correctly. Kind of like when you see people in the gym that are walking on the treadmill at a strolling pace, it really isn't doing too much.

BillK
October 11th, 2009, 6:32 AM
That is why I like the ebook I got. It has two routines in it per every 6wks that you alternate along with interval running. It also includes more exercises that you can substitute, so if you have any injurys you can take that into account. I think the biggest thing I learned from training is that so much of what people do in the gym is really pointless unless you are doing it correctly. Kind of like when you see people in the gym that are walking on the treadmill at a strolling pace, it really isn't doing too much.

Honestly - for the price - the city's (Harris Center) at Lion's Club bark for $100.00 per year membership is the best deal going. They also have people that will help you there for a lot cheaper than $70.00 per hour.

Great equipment as well.
Bill

Sunshine
October 11th, 2009, 7:44 AM
That is a great price for a gym, I am currently in another country, so I had to find new sources to keep up my workout. I needed to find some new workouts, instead of just spending money on trainers. It is amazing how much training costs, but I found out that the trainers get half of it at some gyms and at others they get half but they have to pay a fee to the gym. My training costs were about 35 per session, but that was signing a 6mth. training contract.

Rick
October 11th, 2009, 8:42 AM
Honestly - for the price - the city's (Harris Center) at Lion's Club bark for $100.00 per year membership is the best deal going. They also have people that will help you there for a lot cheaper than $70.00 per hour.

Great equipment as well.
Bill
That's $100 for seniors who are residents. I am neither. It would still be cheaper than Gold's.

People there will still help you, and they offer free classes and group training sessions. I may even get the nerve to take some of them.

BillK
October 11th, 2009, 1:53 PM
That's $100 for seniors who are residents. I am neither. It would still be cheaper than Gold's.

People there will still help you, and they offer free classes and group training sessions. I may even get the nerve to take some of them.

Remember that "senior" there means you have reached the age of 55.

<grin>

And YES - you must be a resident of Killeen to avail yourself of the BENEFIT of getting the Killeen CITIZEN rate. Those of you NON-CITIZENS that do NOT pay our taxes SHOULD have to pay more <grin>.
Bill

tiredone
October 11th, 2009, 2:29 PM
Rick, do you have an iphone? If so, there is an app called, "Ifitness." It sounds crazy, but it is a totally awesome app. It can make you a routine, or, if you want to work on chest one day, legs another, chest on the third, etc, it'll have pics on what machines to use and how to do it... It is an awesome app

Rick
October 11th, 2009, 6:48 PM
Remember that "senior" there means you have reached the age of 55.

<grin>

And YES - you must be a resident of Killeen to avail yourself of the BENEFIT of getting the Killeen CITIZEN rate. Those of you NON-CITIZENS that do NOT pay our taxes SHOULD have to pay more <grin>.
Bill
I have a few years to go before reaching that.

Believe me, I am not complaining about NOT paying city taxes. I can buy a lot of memberships with what I don't pay in taxes. :)

I could probably get the citizens' rate since I do have a Killeen address. I just won't do things like that. It's not that important to me.

Rick
October 11th, 2009, 6:51 PM
Rick, do you have an iphone? If so, there is an app called, "Ifitness." It sounds crazy, but it is a totally awesome app. It can make you a routine, or, if you want to work on chest one day, legs another, chest on the third, etc, it'll have pics on what machines to use and how to do it... It is an awesome app
No, AT&T doesn't believe in providing service where I live, so when we moved here, I was able to get out of my contract.

Alltel Blackberry for me.

I'd try the app if I could.

I watched a few good youtube videos today before I went to the gym.

enderbean
October 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
These websites are pretty helpful with workout routines:

menshealth.com: some people post the address to some fitness sites.
mensfitness.com

nightshift
January 19th, 2010, 7:15 PM
In OctoberI joined HP Fitness. I received a free trainer evaluation. Once upon a long time ago I was also a certified trainer so I knew what to look for. Yes,I could do it all myself but I need the motivation.

Long story short, I fould a great trainer who is willing to work with me and my maturing problems, including 2 heart attacks. I see him once a week, and I have gone from a size 12/14 to a size 8 jeans. My BMi is down to 20%, with my goal to get to 18-15% by June.

I am closely watching my diet and I also do 45 min on the treatmill twice a week.

If you don't need the personal motivation, go on line as suggested by others, and work up your program.

either way - just get up and move.!!!:thumbsup

Rick
January 19th, 2010, 8:59 PM
OH, I have been moving! Didn't go with a trainer, I just do what I feel like doing three-four times a week.