PDA

View Full Version : Yard work

skindog
August 25th, 2009, 1:18 PM
I'm considering putting in an above-ground pool in my back yard, but it's not level enough to put a pool on it (it slopes down away from the house at about 1ft for every 20 feet distance). I've considered renting a bobcat to cut into my yard and use railroad ties as a retaining wall. I tried using a sod cutter and tiller, but when I got past the topsoil I hit the famous Texas earth. It would need to be approximately 20' X 10', with a layer of sand inside. I'd likely need to stack 2 railroad ties high on the end closest to the house, and one on the far end. Where would be a good place to begin looking for a person or company to do this work for me, and what kind of cost would I be looking at? Would permits be required?

Night Owl
August 25th, 2009, 1:56 PM
My opinion. Forget about the pool. It is nothing but a money hole.

GUARDIAN
August 25th, 2009, 2:10 PM
I would really recomend to call "The Guys with Green Shoes" at 394-3736. Also dont use railroad ties you will want to use the Windsor Blocks due to the fact that railroad ties will not last more than 10 years with out starting to look bad and rot.

skindog
August 25th, 2009, 3:46 PM
My opinion. Forget about the pool. It is nothing but a money hole.

Money hole it may be, but my kids LOVE swimming, and I'm game for keeping them from becomming "TV-teens" for as long as possible :-)

I would really recomend to call "The Guys with Green Shoes" at 394-3736. Also dont use railroad ties you will want to use the Windsor Blocks due to the fact that railroad ties will not last more than 10 years with out starting to look bad and rot.
Today 01:56 PM

Thank you Guardian.

I have a friend that had a MUCH steeper slope in his backyard, and he had the guy that leveled the plots in the new neighborhood come and cut out a HUGE section of the hill, then he built a 4'-5' tall retaining wall, about 40' long, and had a concrete pad laid out which he put a 12x20 pool on. It turned out beautiful when he was all done. The last time I saw his place, the wooden deck had fallen into disrepair, and the lawn wasn't as green, but that wall he did is still going strong! He used the landscaping bricks (Windsor Blocks), put drainage sand and pipes behind the wall, etc. etc. I was very impressed with his skills, and wish he still lived in the area to help me with my project! LOL

CenTexDave
August 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Pools are nice when the kids are little. Had an inground pool installed in 1987. Two summers ago I drained it. They were too old to go out in it. Finally after umpteen years of having to play lifeguard 24/7 when they were living in it, got the "it's too hot to go swimming", etc.
Finally instead of dumping $500+ per year in chemicals and probably another $600 per year in electricity to run the stupid pump day in and day out (run it 10-12 hours a day in hot weather) I drained the thing. Haven't had it filled in but am debating it.
They can be a maintenance nightmare. Believe it or not, the more people swim in it the cleaner it will stay.
If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a new truck instead of that pool.

skindog
August 26th, 2009, 9:10 AM
They're 3, 5, and 8, so I'd be happy spending the money for another 10 years if it keeps them from vegging out in front of the TV/computer :-)

CenTexDave
August 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well, go for it then. They can be fun. They can also be, as I'm sure you're aware, dangerous for little ones. If above ground keep the ladder up and out of sight at all times you aren't around it.
However, check all city ordinances. I know in Cove they have to be surrounded by a 5' fence, can't be within 25' of a power line, etc.

skindog
August 26th, 2009, 3:28 PM
Safety first :-) I've resisted as long as I can. The 5X9 inflatable pools just aren't cutting it as they kids get bigger, and daddy wants to have some fun too!

FieryPrincess
August 26th, 2009, 5:43 PM
If you ever opt for a project involving railroad ties, you do want the heavier ones. The lighter ones have often seen their fair share of termites and from time to time, the termites haven't yet left the tie when you pick it out and bring it home!