PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Fish

stormy
August 20th, 2009, 4:39 PM
I'm not sure if you can help, but I figured I'd ask...

I have a Tetra that looks similar to an angel fish. It aquired a fungus, and I went to Pet Smart and one of the sales associates had me purchase a product that would treat Ick and other types of fungus at the same time. It was in tablet form, putting 1 tablet for every 5 gallons of water once a day for 5 days, without the filter, then on the 6th day, performing a 25% water change and putting the filter back in. Did that, and now it seems to be coming back. It's been about a week and a half since I finished the regimen. None of the other fish have it. His poor fins are all mangled up from the fungus he had and I'm wondering if there is a better product I can buy. I can't remember the brand I purchased, but I still have the box at home and can tell you what that is when I get home tonight.

This fungus is a whitish substance that is on his body and fins and I was told it wasn't Ick because it would look flaky, not the white spots he has. Also, will his fins grow back, or will they look like that forever?

Any advice Doc?

poundpup
August 20th, 2009, 6:29 PM
I'm not sure if you can help, but I figured I'd ask...

I have a Tetra that looks similar to an angel fish. It aquired a fungus, and I went to Pet Smart and one of the sales associates had me purchase a product that would treat Ick and other types of fungus at the same time. It was in tablet form, putting 1 tablet for every 5 gallons of water once a day for 5 days, without the filter, then on the 6th day, performing a 25% water change and putting the filter back in. Did that, and now it seems to be coming back. It's been about a week and a half since I finished the regimen. None of the other fish have it. His poor fins are all mangled up from the fungus he had and I'm wondering if there is a better product I can buy. I can't remember the brand I purchased, but I still have the box at home and can tell you what that is when I get home tonight.

This fungus is a whitish substance that is on his body and fins and I was told it wasn't Ick because it would look flaky, not the white spots he has. Also, will his fins grow back, or will they look like that forever?

Any advice Doc?

I am not a doctor, nor did I play one on TV:

Having had several tetra (my first of over 100 fish, not counting the guppies) I can assure you the fins will grow back if you can cure him of that fungus. I know that sometimes the medication is more damaging than the fungus.

Remove the fish from the aquarium. I hope you have a hospital tank?

The fish catch these diseases when they are stressed, the water levels not right for them. Having them in well balanced water is one way to start the healing. Once their system is no longer stressed from bad water levels, they can put energy into healing.

http://www.petgoldfish.net/white-spot-disease.html

It is most likely ich, see above link for photos and (one suggestion) medication. The medications that are added to the water are very stressful to the little fish. I am very sorry to say that I have never had a tetra survive ich treatment for long.

Puck
August 20th, 2009, 7:08 PM
I haven't kept fish for a very long time, not since my kids were little, but I seem to recall that I had the most frequent occurences of the icky fish rot during summer months when keeping water temps cool was difficult.

I moved the tank closer to the AC (had only one window unit to cool a very old three bedroom house), but again I can't remember how much that helped. Have you tried doing a Google search?

stormy
August 20th, 2009, 7:14 PM
Thanks for that info. poundpup. Funny you say that because the water level was lower than it should be. I do have the old tank before we upgraded to the bigger one. Maybe I'll try that. I do know that it doesn't look like ich, ich is flaky and the fungus he's got is like poofy white spots, like little tiny balls of cotton. He definitely improved with the first treatment; all the spots disappeared, but it seems to be coming back at the front part of the top fin where it meets his body. It's hard to see looking through the aquarium, but you can really see it when you open the top and look down at him. The first brand of treatment I used was the Tetra brand and it was called Lifeguard, All In One Treatment.

Thanks for the response, Puck. Temperature of the tank is 80 degrees, and stays pretty stable. I haven't googled anything yet, thought I'd try here first! :) Wonder if lowering the temperature a couple degrees would encourage getting rid of the fungus?

Scarlett
August 20th, 2009, 7:43 PM
I kill fish just by looking at them wrong...same effect on plants. I don't know, do vets deal with fish??

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 20th, 2009, 9:58 PM
I will defer to some of my very learned forum mates for this answer. Some veterinarians are trained in all things gilled but this guy is "fishically" challenged. Refer to the internet sources and advice from others. I wish you luck. Please post your results so that we all (especially me) can learn something.

bbh
August 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry about your fish, Stormy...but it reminded me of our 4-year-old granddaughter's first pet.

She named the little fishy "Sir Evelyn" (who knows why!). It seems she thought it would be a good idea to invite Sir Evelyn to a tea party. She scooped her/him out of the bowl and into a tiny teacup filled with about a thimbleful of tap water. When it became apparent that the fish was in distress, she picked her/him up with her fingers and tried to revive her/him by holding her/him under the water faucet in the bathroom.

Sir Evelyn had to be flushed and now sleeps with the fishes.

She is getting a baby bearded dragon (fancy lizard). I give him a week....tops.

stormy
August 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Oh my! That's a funny story, not so much for the fishy, though. Thanks for all the input. I'll be sure to let you what works and doesn't work!

"Fishically challenged" :)) That's pretty funny!

Deb
August 22nd, 2009, 5:58 AM
I kill fish just by looking at them wrong...same effect on plants. I don't know, do vets deal with fish??
I was about to say the same thing, Scarlett. Even the cactus in my yard have died. I've even seen vets that are challenged just looking at ferrets.

poundpup
August 24th, 2009, 7:05 AM
How is the fish? I know, only a few days past, but please let us know how ti turns out.

stormy
August 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Well, as of yet I haven't put any more medicine in the tank, and it looks like his fins are growing back. I don't see white spots anymore, but they're easier to see looking through the top of the tank and I couldn't get a good look at him that way yet, so, I'll try getting a better look again when I get home tonight. Thanks!

THEMEANOGRE
August 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
For those interested in fish, but not real particular as to breed, or just looking for a good starter fish. I recommend trying the bait shop. Minnows are fairly cheap and can be prolific.
We converted our in ground pool into a fish pond. We put maybe 7 dozen fish in it over two years and now have in excess of 200 head. The minnows enjoy regular pet fish food, both flake and pellet. A couple of our minnows have even matured into perch and even a couple of carp.

CenTexDave
August 26th, 2009, 6:31 PM
Carp? You won't have many minnows for long!!

stormy
August 27th, 2009, 3:15 PM
You know, I just thought of something. We brought home some baby gar from the lake in May. My fish in question ate them all. Wonder if that's what gave him the fungus?

poundpup
August 27th, 2009, 8:27 PM
I don't think so much the fact of eating them, but the fish may have brought bacteria in with them, especially in the water you brought them in with.

stormy
August 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Don't know if that's what did it, but it's definitely a good reason! Guess we won't do that again!

He's doing better. Fins are starting to grow back and the white spots I saw the other day look like they are gone. Looks like he may recover! :)

poundpup
August 29th, 2009, 6:49 PM
:)

stormy
September 10th, 2009, 1:38 PM
Just a quick update. His fins look good; not matted anymore, and are almost back to normal. All white spots are gone! Thanks for everyone's advice!

poundpup
September 10th, 2009, 1:59 PM
Thank you for the update :) That is great to hear.