PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Cat

xzochye
August 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Dr. Buckley,

What is the best thing to feed a cat that is or has recently been nursing?

A stray cat has been visiting my house. She is very small and petite. I would almost guess she is still a kitten herself! She is very skinny. I can tell that she has been or is nursing.

I do not know how many kittens she has. However, I have seen 2 other cats with her and they are both about the same size as she is.

I have been leaving out cat food and water but is there anything else I should give her?

I would like to take her to a shelter or find a home for her but I don't want to do that until I can figure out her "family" situation. I would hate to separate her from her babies! The other cats run away when I go outside but she is extremely lovable!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
August 18th, 2009, 1:25 PM
Nursing animals of all species need plenty of water and calories, calories, calories. Therefore, I would recommend feeding the nursing cat a "kitten" food or kibble of some kind. Canned foods could cause some loose stools but provide lots of calories BUT quality dry foods will help load the calories as well. I don't recommend supplementing milk or milk-products just provide access to plenty of cool, fresh water.