PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Dental Caps

madasheck
August 9th, 2009, 3:51 PM
I need a cap on one of my molars.

I saw a local dentist and they quoted me a price of $1357.00 to cap my #31 tooth with poclelain. Is this a fair price or should I look for another dentist for this work.

I plan to pay cash.

Scarlett
August 9th, 2009, 3:59 PM
Damn, that seems high.
I hope someone answers you who knows, because it has me curious now that I am insuranceless! (Is that a word? I think not...)

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2009, 4:46 PM
Dentists have gotten ridiculously expensive.
Have them yank the tooth.

cityboy
August 9th, 2009, 5:16 PM
That's kinda high. I had a root canal and new gold crown installed recently. I think the crown installation was around $900. By the way, "they" talk about the outrageous cost of medical procedures (and I agree), but nobody talks about the outragous cost of major dental work. I need a bridge to replace a missing tooth, but it costs around $2,500, and my insurance doesn't cover it, basically because it's a pre-existing condition ...

Scarlett
August 9th, 2009, 5:28 PM
I got a bridge put in last year. It was about that much. I had to pay half, but my flex plan refunded me that half so it was ok.

poundpup
August 9th, 2009, 6:15 PM
My husband needs a bridge and was quoted a good chunk above $2,100 t Castle Dental - no co-pay. I need a crown and I believe it is about $700-800 but definitely under 1K.

Night Owl
August 9th, 2009, 6:21 PM
Mexico

FieryPrincess
August 10th, 2009, 7:03 AM
At one point I was covered under military dental and KISD dental.

With the double coverage, my crown was about $27. There are several dentists who don't like to file the double coverage though.

And isn't it amazing how LOW the lifetime/yearly caps are on dental work?

Courageous
August 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Dr. Craig Molyneux at Killeen Dental Clinic did an awesome crown for my molar and my cost share was :)only:( about $500...he is really good at pain management, too...:)

Msradar
August 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I would say mexico is a good option for dental care. I know a few friends that went and have wonderful work done and it was cheap.

I would run not walk away from Castle. They are doc in a box operation. They get docs fresh out of school. They stay long enough to set up private practice and they are gone. Same goes for hygentists. I had a very bad experience with them a years ago in Austin. Was forced to go their because I was on a DMO(dental HMO).

I set up an appnt for a cleaning. I got the cattle call. it was an open room full of chairs. with low walls...but you could see the person next to you. All they did was take a few xrays and tell me I needed my teeth needed cleaning. charge me my co-pay and extra fee for instrument sterilization and there nasty antimicrobial mouth wash(which I was allergic too), then set up an appnt for me to come back to actually get the work done.

It reminded me of how the military does things. Piece meal with a million piddly appointments. I basically told them never mind....called the insurance and complained and they set me up with a different dentist.

CenTexDave
August 11th, 2009, 2:21 PM
Like I recommended earlier - get the tooth yanked. Best dentist I ever had is long retired now. He told me when you hit 40-45 years your teeth start dying. By 50 they are becoming very brittle and can actually start cracking and breaking off.
Hell with it - get'em all yanked and get dentures. Then no more visits to the thieves.

xzochye
August 11th, 2009, 2:23 PM
I have also read some pretty bad reviews about the Castle in Austin. However, I must say I have had a great experience at the one here. Dr. Logue is a true professional and he really sits and listens to your concerns. I have major dental work done there over the past several months and it was a pleasant (as pleasant as dental work can be) experience. The prices were reasonable and fair. I did go to 2 other dentists in the area for other opinions and prices since the work I was getting done was pretty extensive.

poundpup
August 29th, 2009, 6:47 PM
I have also read some pretty bad reviews about the Castle in Austin. However, I must say I have had a great experience at the one here. Dr. Logue is a true professional and he really sits and listens to your concerns. I have major dental work done there over the past several months and it was a pleasant (as pleasant as dental work can be) experience. The prices were reasonable and fair. I did go to 2 other dentists in the area for other opinions and prices since the work I was getting done was pretty extensive.

Yeah ... so my husband went to the dentist for a lost filling that was put in at Castle Dental. Reminder of the tooth chipped, can't be fixed.

To yank and put a crown in (at Castle Dental) it's over $5300 WHAT!!!??? An ounce of gold is only in the $800s I think, and even if it was $1000....

I went with the same problem (Castle Dental) filling fell out after about 3 years. To put a crown in it's over $2000.... HUH?! What happened to $1200 crowns? Even that was too much.

We are both totally in agreement with getting dentures when it's necessary. The partials my husband got over the years never fit, no matter how much he had them adjusted - so it's not worth it, really.

the pink pastry
November 26th, 2009, 1:03 PM
The normal cost of a crown is around $700 with most insurances paying 50%. If someone is quoting you more than that, you need to go somewhere else. I am a dentist and although I no longer work in dentistry I know what the norm is. I currently use Carus Dental on WS Young and they are very fair. Dr. Tabreena Walker in the Extraco Bank building in Harker Heights is very reasonable as well and does great work.

I don't recommend dentures to anyone, if your interested in learning the long painful process of getting them fitted comfortably contact me...I swear you will pass on that as soon as I give you all the gory details.

When I arrived here in Texas I interviewed with Castle Dental and was suprised at the cattle call care they supply. So I can't recommend them at all... I wouldnt work there and definetly wouldn't get dental work done there either!

Dental questions? Send them my way!

Missy
November 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You may consider Affordable Dental in Waco (across from VA Hospital) I took a friend there and it was clean, friendly, and reasonable! Crowns are about $300. She was there for dentures and they did a wonderful (same day service) on top and told her her bottom teeth were okay and did not need to be pulled and replaced. She was willing to pay for the full set and they told her it was not needed. I was certainly impressed.