PDA

View Full Version : Plagiocephaly, something new parents should be aware of.

VooDooBaby
August 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Today my 6 month old was diagnosed with having Plagiocephaly (flattening of the head). It's not a life threatening condition, but left untreated it could lead to facial deformations, hearing and eyesight impairment, and issues with the jaws. Every parent needs to know about this, because alot of times, it can be avoided. No one warned me about this condition. No pediatrician, nurse, magazine, website... nothing.

I never held a baby, changed a baby, or put a baby to sleep until I brought my son home from the hospital. I thought I was doing all right until I noticed his head was beginning to be shaped funny.

Babies need to sleep on their back AND on their sides. Also, lots of tummy time is absolutley a must. If I would have known this, my son might not have to wear a docBand helmet for months.

Nurses need to go over Plagiocephaly before the parents leave the hospital.

Most insurances do NOT cover treatment for Plagiocephaly, so it is very important from every aspect to do what you can to help avoid this condition. Your baby and your wallet will thank you. :)

Texas Immigrant
August 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I worried about that, so when they were awake I would try to give them a lot of tummy time. Is he doing okay now?

Scarlett
August 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I had a friend whose baby had that. He looked crooked...we kept trying to tell her to stop letting him always sleep on the same side. She didn't listen.
I hope it straightens out.

(Babies with helmets are cute...my nephew is a severe hemophiliac and he had to wear one while learning to walk, one bump and bleeding on the brain! But be warned, people will stare and ask completely inappropriate questions.)

VooDooBaby
August 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I had a friend whose baby had that. He looked crooked...we kept trying to tell her to stop letting him always sleep on the same side. She didn't listen.
I hope it straightens out.

(Babies with helmets are cute...my nephew is a severe hemophiliac and he had to wear one while learning to walk, one bump and bleeding on the brain! But be warned, people will stare and ask completely inappropriate questions.)

I hope people ask questions. If I would have asked questions, I would have known about this. :) It's my goal to make new mommies and daddy's aware of this.

Texas Immigrant
August 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
One thing I wasn't aware of was that you have to pull the skin back from the tip of his penis when you give him a bath. No one told me, we went to the doctor for one of his checkups and the doctor then told me about it. By that time, the skin had begun to fuse to the tip and she had to pull it back. I know it had to hurt. My poor little man was screaming. I felt like such a loser mommy. I hate to see my babies in pain.

VooDooBaby
August 8th, 2009, 8:17 AM
One thing I wasn't aware of was that you have to pull the skin back from the tip of his penis when you give him a bath. No one told me, we went to the doctor for one of his checkups and the doctor then told me about it. By that time, the skin had begun to fuse to the tip and she had to pull it back. I know it had to hurt. My poor little man was screaming. I felt like such a loser mommy. I hate to see my babies in pain.

I didn't know about this either. One of my girlfriends who doesn't even have kids, but stayed at the hospital when her nephew was born, went to change his diaper for me, and told me about it. I felt horrible.

FieryPrincess
August 10th, 2009, 8:27 AM
I dated a guy whose head was absolutely flat on the back. (Spent a lot of time in NICU as a baby).

The rest of his face wasn't misshapen, but as a grown-up, that flat spot was really handy for quick snoozes in a chair leaning against a wall.

VDB, if anyone gives you grief about the helmet your baby is wearing, just tell 'em that you have him in an early infant football program. That sad thing is how many people will ask you for details so they can join too.

VooDooBaby
August 10th, 2009, 8:57 AM
My son's face is already showing signs of misalignment. I know that no ones face is perfect, but what your old friend had is called Brachycephaly. It won't affect the face. What my son has pushes the right side of his face forward.

I hope people see his helmet and ask me about it. Parents need to be aware of this, heck, everyone does. Eventhough my son's condition started inutero, if I would have known about it, I could have used repositional therapy (just changing his positions alot) instead of a helmet. My son is perfect to me, and there could be so much more problems he could have. He's healthy... just a little "lumpy headed" :) I will be contacting Metroplex to ask why they don't hand out the pamphlet on Cranial issues like the one I got AFTER the fact.

After my cutie gets his special helmet, I will post a picture :)

Msradar
August 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I would recommend one of the "your new baby" type books. I think I read what to expect when you are expecting..and there is a follow up book to that about the new baby.

I think most of my info came from my mother and other relatives on baby care. You you the story, the old folks know how to raise babies! lol I also had a lot of experience having worked with infants in Cardiac Care step-down unit at my local childrens hospital.

This putting them on the back to sleep is something that came along...long after my children were past the baby stage. Quite frankly, I think its stupid...but that is just my opinion.

Both my kids had reflux..and would have choked to death if I had done that.

As far as pulling back the skin to clean. yes they do recommend that you do that...however they should have also told you not to pull it back if its very tight. To let your peds doc know...as you can injure the baby.

I'm really surprised that they did not go over these important things with you. Then again these days birth is a drive thru hospital experience with 24-48 hr stays...which in many cases are not enough time for nurses to provide proper patient care or education for new mothers.

I remember the old days at military hospitals where you had to attend infant care, feeding, CPR and circumcision care classes before they would release you from the hospital. They also required 3 days stays for vaginal births and 5-7 days stays for c-section deliveries.

VooDooBaby
August 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I took the birthing class, but they didn't go over much for after the baby comes home. The first diaper I ever changed was my son's... In a hospital room, by myself. First bath... I looked it up on the internet. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, but the nurses would just come in and check on me, they didn't really tell me much. They threw a fit when I put my baby on his belly. I told them time and time again that I was completely by myself with no family to help, and that I didn't know what I was doing. Eh, things turned out ok, except of my baby's funny shaped head :)

siamcat
August 10th, 2009, 9:35 PM
Even the guidelines you're giving change over time. With my son I was told he had to sleep on his side with a towel behind him so he couldn't roll on his back while sleeping. With my daughter I was told to put her on her back to sleep.
Talking with my mom and other moms helped me alot.
It's important not to have heavy pillows or other things in the bed for them to bury their face in. Different babies like to sleep in different positions, just like adults. I figured once they could roll the way they wanted I let them. Both of mine hated tummy time, which was supposed to be important for crawling. So they both skipped crawling and went straight to walking.
Hopefully the helmet will fix the problem and it's good that you let others know about it. I've never heard of it before. Guess it's a good thing I let my kids sleep the way they wanted.

Texas Immigrant
August 10th, 2009, 9:54 PM
VDB, it sounds like you're a great mommy. I can hardly wait to see the pictures of your cute little guy!!

VooDooBaby
August 11th, 2009, 9:05 AM
I still wonder how many babies go untreated for this because most insurances don't cover it (not even the military's tricare prime). Not everyone has the means to pay for this treatment.

Msradar
August 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear the nurses were not very helpful. But glad to hear the outcome is a good one. All will be well. Trust me I can tell you some stories that will make you laugh.

I use to be a Mom peer counselor when we were stationed at a different location. Basically helping new moms learn and get adjusted to there babies. It was suppose to help reduce child neglect and abuse.

I had one lady tell me the her newborn son just screamed for hours. She was doing everything they had told her...cleaning the umbilical cord and the circumcision with ALCOHOL!! She missed the part about rinsing the circumcision bell with clean water....she was using alcohol on him...poor baby...no wonder he was screaming.

When I tried to tell her it was clean water...she was adamant that I was wrong...the nurse told her alcohol to kill the germs. There was a language barrier there..I had to speak with her husband and let him know...he was MAD!!

I think its sad that they do not teach infant care and parenting classes anymore. Especially for first time parents. Even worst that the nurses do not take the time to do any parent education anymore.

I hope you little guy fairs off well with his helmet.

I took the birthing class, but they didn't go over much for after the baby comes home. The first diaper I ever changed was my son's... In a hospital room, by myself. First bath... I looked it up on the internet. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, but the nurses would just come in and check on me, they didn't really tell me much. They threw a fit when I put my baby on his belly. I told them time and time again that I was completely by myself with no family to help, and that I didn't know what I was doing. Eh, things turned out ok, except of my baby's funny shaped head :)

Msradar
August 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Since moving to Texas I have seen a lot of children with things that are treatable and fixable that go without the proper medical care. Things such as crossed and lazy eyes, rotten teeth and horrible pigeon toes. These are not toddlers but school age children. It always shocks and saddens me.

I had a friend with a child with lazy eye...very severe...no glasses or anything. I finally had to ask. The response was from her was....it was not life threatening so we didn't bother to have it fixed!! DUH!!! it does affect your childs coordination and learning....being that I have personal experiences with this I made sure it was fixed with my child as an infant.

I still wonder how many babies go untreated for this because most insurances don't cover it (not even the military's tricare prime). Not everyone has the means to pay for this treatment.

VooDooBaby
August 11th, 2009, 1:05 PM
Exactly, which is why I didn't even think twice, even after hearing the price, and that insurance won't cover it, no matter how much I appeal. But what gets me about these insurance providers, is that they will cover gastric bypass, nose jobs, breast implants, and all sorts of those things. All the person has to do is claim that it causes them emotional problems... viola! A tummy tuck, a nose job, new boobs.... you got it!

But deny coverage for a little baby. In 15 years, he/she will be asking why their facial features are lopsided, and why they cant find any glasses or football helmets that fit them. By then, the condition is not able to be corrected.