PDA

View Full Version : Solar Screens

fchafey
May 22nd, 2023, 11:54 AM
In 2009 we put Solar Screens on our windows in our new house. Off and on over the years they have been removed and cleaned and reinstalled. The other day we took them off because we got tired of the cave like darkness they provide. I also really don't think they make all that big of a difference. Any of you here have them. do you like them? Do they make a difference? They do offer a little more privacy but.....thanks

shawnricheson
May 22nd, 2023, 1:23 PM
In 2009 we put Solar Screens on our windows in our new house. Off and on over the years they have been removed and cleaned and reinstalled. The other day we took them off because we got tired of the cave like darkness they provide. I also really don't think they make all that big of a difference. Any of you here have them. do you like them? Do they make a difference? They do offer a little more privacy but.....thanks

We were just evaluating getting them. Glad you clarified it for us.

Grasshopperglock
May 22nd, 2023, 1:37 PM
We have them on a couple of windows on the south side of the house.

Privacy as long as it's not night with the light on. Then, it's like they're not even there.

Lowering the temperature? I guess. I just walked outside a put an IR thermometer to them. The house siding is 100.7, the screen is 97.1.

Interior of the window is 81.7. With the AC going.

Conclusion, they don't block the cool air from leaving the house. As for blocking the heat from entering. You got me.

fchafey
May 22nd, 2023, 3:25 PM
My wife ensures we are on a plan from TXU/Oncor. It is usually a couple of years long. We keep the comfortable at 72 when we are gone. Drop it down to 70 when we return and put the ceiling fans on. 68 at night. We use the dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc without a thought. Peak of summer 250ish for the electricity/250 for water (sprinkler system). I can deal with it. Peak of the cold, emergency heat as we have a heat pump around 250 for that bill. So I don't see the window screens being a super saver.....AND you are right about the nighttime and the lights on, can see in the window too easy....its just nicer in here now that they are off....

Grasshopperglock
May 22nd, 2023, 3:38 PM
Thick heavy privacy curtains has always been the go-to. The curtains like they have in a hospital. Cloth on the front with a white plastic looking liner on the back.

Curtains will do more then a screen.

kantwin
May 22nd, 2023, 5:30 PM
We cool to 77 or 78 and heat to 68.
It?s comfortable for us.

sojourner truth
May 22nd, 2023, 7:07 PM
I am most comfortable at 74 for heat and 76 for cooling. My electric bill has been fairly low so far, but we aren't in the dog days of summer.... yet.