PDA

View Full Version : NBA threatening to suspend season

sickofpc
August 27th, 2020, 10:02 AM
The New York Jets cancelled practice yesterday because of the shooting in Wisconsin.
The NBA is talking about suspending the season. ...I wish the players would do that and the NBA withhold their pay. We know that won't happen, though..

Rick
August 27th, 2020, 10:22 AM
The NBA is playing? I hadn't noticed.

kantwin
August 27th, 2020, 11:27 AM
The NBA is playing? I hadn't noticed.
I came here to say, "They started playing?"

Night Owl
August 27th, 2020, 12:17 PM
What's the NBA?

kantwin
August 27th, 2020, 12:55 PM
No B!tching Area?

ExKilleencitizen
August 27th, 2020, 1:02 PM
The NBA may end their season? And? Who cares? This is news why?

Grasshopperglock
August 27th, 2020, 1:21 PM
The NBA needs to be banned. Reasons?

#1. It was invented by a half Canadian guy named James Naismith.

#2. Mr Naismith was a racist.

#3. Mr Naismith was a dirty Christian.

#4. The money that's paid to the players have slave owners on them.

#5. Basketballs are made in sweat shops.

#6. The players shoe makers support child labor.

#7. Too much illegal betting is placed on the game.

#8. The hoop net strings are white.

#9. Too many Hollywood pedos use the game for publicity.

#10. It's racist not to support the entitled players.

Banned basketball before it's too late. People are dying because of it.

ithoughtso
August 27th, 2020, 3:28 PM
I don't think anyone will lose any sleep if they shut it down. Same for the nfl.

gnatsum
August 27th, 2020, 3:49 PM
I don't think anyone will lose any sleep if they shut it down. Same for the nfl.

Sports writers. Hosts of sports radio talk shows. Game analysts. Publishers of sports magazines. Owners and managers of sports bars and sports-oriented restaurants...

NASCAR just doesn't appeal to everyone...:))

sojourner truth
August 27th, 2020, 6:16 PM
Reminded me of watching the commercials selling sports paraphenelia to support college and pro teams. My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed. To what purpose.

We normally but season tickets for the Ellison football games, but saved some money and time this year.

mac
August 27th, 2020, 7:19 PM
The NBA may end their season? And? Who cares? This is news why?

well, I'm an avid NBA fan and have been for quite sometime......all the way back to to the mid 50s.....but I've just 'bout got a nose full of it now what with guys like magic, lebron and kobe bein' treated like royalty.....don't get me wrong, ain't nothin' prettier than watchin' someone like curry, bird, mchale, parish and jordan get loose and turnin' it on but there's just not enough good to out weigh the bad any more......i'm prob'ly finished with all of 'em. things have changed dramatically in the last 5 years or so.......mac

sickofpc
August 27th, 2020, 7:42 PM
Bruce Aryan, head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,told his team that protesting "didn't do crap". If they really wanted to do some good, go work in the community, put some of their money into the community where it is needed.

Rick
August 28th, 2020, 8:43 AM

sickofpc
August 28th, 2020, 9:45 AM
Several college football teams, including Baylor, cancelled practice yesterday to protest.

gnatsum
August 28th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Lebron would be singing a "different tune" IF HE ever got to do a rid-along with a police officer patrolling a bad section of a city...until he does...

kantwin
August 28th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Lebron would be singing a "different tune" IF HE ever got to do a rid-along with a police officer patrolling a bad section of a city...until he does...

As a friend of mine would say, "keep your yap trap shut"

mac
August 28th, 2020, 12:07 PM

wow, Gnat!.....that is so true. that's sort of what happened to Shaq who happens to be a reservist in his home Police Department as are several other NBA players, retired and active....mac

mac
August 28th, 2020, 12:52 PM
Bruce Aryan, head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,told his team that protesting "didn't do crap". If they really wanted to do some good, go work in the community, put some of their money into the community where it is needed.

This all seems so silly to me. I don't believe anyone should have to play a ball game if they don't want to (the days of the Roman gladiators are long over) and, if they don't want to, the Team Owner(s) should simply say, OK, fair enough, no more checks, empty your lockers, pack your stuff, call a cab and leave the property and while you're doing that I will call Security to come and "tresspass" you befor you leave.....mac

if any of you are confused by what "tresspass you" means, ask one of your peace officer friends.....mac

sickofpc
August 28th, 2020, 1:28 PM
I agree, that all sounds very good to me, but...that is not going to happen.

mac
August 28th, 2020, 1:32 PM
I agree, that all sounds very good to me, but...that is not going to happen.

Stranger things have happened......

sickofpc
August 28th, 2020, 1:41 PM
Maybe so, mac, but I would love to take a very large wager on this not happening...

gnatsum
August 28th, 2020, 3:04 PM
if any of you are confused by what "tresspass you" means, ask one of your peace officer friends.....mac

IS that what happens according to the sign 'TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED!'? :))

sojourner truth
August 28th, 2020, 5:47 PM
No NBA this year... That's like saying no more veggies with dinner. Dang....

And as for the announcer who decided to walk off the show in the middle of the broadcast. I would can him immediately and see how much solidarity he feels with the players then. Unlike them, he is not promised a multi million dollar contract whether he plays or not. Want to see how sincere these guys are? Pull their paychecks and see how much they support the cause. If they stay true to the cause, more power to them.. I would respect that. As far as not playing, I could really care less.

fchafey
August 28th, 2020, 8:00 PM
No NBA this year... That's like saying no more veggies with dinner. Dang....

And as for the announcer who decided to walk off the show in the middle of the broadcast. I would can him immediately and see how much solidarity he feels with the players then. Unlike them, he is not promised a multi million dollar contract whether he plays or not. Want to see how sincere these guys are? Pull their paychecks and see how much they support the cause. If they stay true to the cause, more power to them.. I would respect that. As far as not playing, I could really care less.

Kenny Smith is a retired NBA player. He is still well heeled and really doesn't need the money....

sickofpc
August 28th, 2020, 9:37 PM
I think rather than demonstrating, the NBA players should get together and write a declaration for all NBA players to sign and promise to abide by....things like teaching and demonstrating how to be when dealing with law enforcement(what makes sense, what doesn't), not fathering anymore illegitimate children to grow up in broken, fatherless homes, to quit using drugs of any kind, to promise to take care of their money and not go broke as so many have, to not promote the gangster lifestyle and wasteful spending so common with NBA players(two hundred thousand dollare necklaces, ten cars, huge diamonds, etc.) and to give a certain percentage of their salaries every year to families in need and kids, programs, and positive organizations in the inner cities, working with the police and doing things like ride a longs with police departments, seeing the real thing, just not p r stunts, to go around the country speaking about racial harmony and respecting the police,.teaching pride, individual responsibility, , working with cities to prevent the crazy numbers of murders, black on black crime, and general lawlessness of the inner cities . patriotism, not division, and finally, any other positive, not negative programs that they would be able to sponsor in the off season,, ...... not just talking about things, endlessly..... sitting down, threatening, and wearing shirts.

We know the NBA and NFL players are never, ever going to do anything like this, but just imagine. How would the public, including minorities, react if they did.

mac
August 28th, 2020, 11:18 PM
Kenny Smith is a retired NBA player. He is still well heeled and really doesn't need the money....

yep, 2 NBA championships with Houston....mac

ExKilleencitizen
August 29th, 2020, 7:50 AM
I think rather than demonstrating, the NBA players should get together and write a declaration for all NBA players to sign and promise to abide by....things like teaching and demonstrating how to be when dealing with law enforcement(what makes sense, what doesn't), not fathering anymore illegitimate children to grow up in broken, fatherless homes, to quit using drugs of any kind, to promise to take care of their money and not go broke as so many have, to not promote the gangster lifestyle and wasteful spending so common with NBA players(two hundred thousand dollare necklaces, ten cars, huge diamonds, etc.) and to give a certain percentage of their salaries every year to families in need and kids, programs, and positive organizations in the inner cities, working with the police and doing things like ride a longs with police departments, seeing the real thing, just not p r stunts, to go around the country speaking about racial harmony and respecting the police,.teaching pride, individual responsibility, , working with cities to prevent the crazy numbers of murders, black on black crime, and general lawlessness of the inner cities . patriotism, not division, and finally, any other positive, not negative programs that they would be able to sponsor in the off season,, ...... not just talking about things, endlessly..... sitting down, threatening, and wearing shirts.

We know the NBA and NFL players are never, ever going to do anything like this, but just imagine. How would the public, including minorities, react if they did.

Well said sickofpc....very well said.

sojourner truth
August 29th, 2020, 9:39 AM
yep, 2 NBA championships with Houston....mac

Well, great... Then he won't mind taking the rest of his life off in protest. No sweat off his wallet.

mac
August 29th, 2020, 2:50 PM
Well said sickofpc....very well said.

"imagine there's no Countries
it isn't hard to do....."
john and yoko and plastic ono.

mac
August 29th, 2020, 2:59 PM
I think rather than demonstrating, the NBA players should get together and write a declaration for all NBA players to sign and promise to abide by....

I'll never understand this but now I hear that Ole Miss is pullin' the same crap, walkin' off the field, not showin' up for practice and the like. the Dean oughtta cancel their scholarships on the spot and tell 'em all to get gone and then he should tell the coach to form a new team....out of students who want to play ball games....

These young men are breaking their word even as you were writing this response, as well as staining forever their honor,......and you want to them to let them sign yet another contract after showing the world that their word ain't worth a cup of spit?......nope, cancel their scholarships and send their asses home and not even let them get on campus again.....in the Pro teams, the owner should just not sign any more checks, trespass 'em all and send them packin'.....mac

sojourner truth
August 29th, 2020, 5:47 PM
If the player is there on an athletic scholarship, they should be canned and their scholarship voided, and coach given the green light to recruit some players who will not cave in to popular protest movements. These guys gave their word, and are now backing out of it, so turnabout is fair play.

I would hope that any pro scouts take note of the ones who fold or cave into pressure as well.

If the players stick with their protests after being released, then they are genuine.