PDA

View Full Version : Solar panels

onetime
June 20th, 2020, 5:54 PM
Whose got them? I?m super interested in getting some is the hype real? Seems like you?re just replacing one payment for another. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ludwig
June 20th, 2020, 9:01 PM
A couple of years ago I calculated the amortization of a proposed solar panel installation and found that I would most likely expire before the cost of installation had been amortized. For a young couple planning to live in the home for at least 30 years, solar may be a reasonable purchase.

Night Owl
June 21st, 2020, 12:23 AM
I have looked into them and found they aren't worth the cost. Solar panels have a estimated life span of 20-25 years. At the current cost there is no way they pay for themselves. A typical contract is for 20 years at a cost of $200 per month install plan. Unless you pay for the system upfront it's a losing gamble. So you will pay for the panels at $200 per month and unless you get a gold star system you will still have an electric bill. Add that to the monthly $200 payment and your bill will be more than you normally pay.

At my home I would have to cut trees down so the sun could actually charge the panels. That's another cost since they don't cut trees and haul away the trash for free.

fchafey
June 21st, 2020, 7:47 AM
My neighbor has them and he is having a heck of a time keeping them clean. They put them on the side of the house that of course has the most sun time. This happens to be the west slope of his roof and they get filthy. Filthy panels cant absorb the sum like clean ones. Besides paying for them out right in a home you plan to live in for 20 years or more, they aren't all that.

Merrill
April 30th, 2023, 9:37 AM
I've had solar panels installed on my home for about a year now and I have to say, I'm really impressed with them. The hype is definitely real, not only am I reducing my carbon footprint, but I'm also saving a significant amount of money on my energy bills each month.

The initial cost of installation can seem daunting, but there are often financing options available that make it more affordable. Plus, many states offer incentives or tax credits for installing solar panels. Overall, I highly recommend looking into solar energy as a sustainable and cost-effective option for powering your home.

xzochye
April 30th, 2023, 11:24 AM
I've had solar panels installed on my home for about a year now and I have to say, I'm really impressed with them. The hype is definitely real, not only am I reducing my carbon footprint, but I'm also saving a significant amount of money on my energy bills each month.

The initial cost of installation can seem daunting, but there are often financing options available that make it more affordable. Plus, many states offer incentives or tax credits for installing solar panels. Overall, I highly recommend looking into solar energy as a sustainable and cost-effective option for powering your home.

Sounds like a sales pitch.

Rick
April 30th, 2023, 3:40 PM
I suspected it was a bot when it signed up. It has a Miami IP, so I approved it to see what happens.

Grasshopperglock
April 30th, 2023, 4:01 PM
Once upon a time, an elderly lady died. The relative called the police.

We show up and called an ambulance.

There was photos taken of Belton from a hill. You could see for miles. Very little trees. Belton was built on a prairie. Then I've seen other photographs from around Gatesville. Same thing. Very little trees.

The complete opposite it is now. The lush growth is relatively a recent thing.

Remember that happy Horse S about the rain forest? How are we going to breath without those trees!

There's about 440ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. With some older plants thriving at 1500ppm.

The carbon footprint bull-#### is a scam. A way to tax the air you breathe. Nothing but rainbow flag fine print.

sojourner truth
April 30th, 2023, 7:52 PM
Solar panels are the latest take on DTV. It takes money to rent them and they seldom pay off in your lifetime. If I could simply buy the panels, have them installed, and be done with it I would get them too. Makes me wonder how all those Alaska shows that show people living off the grid and with solar panels do it.

Grasshopperglock
April 30th, 2023, 7:54 PM
Isn't the goal, for the cheapest energy? Isn't that what's solar panels for?

Less you have to pay for energy?

Because I'm getting the vibe that's not the case.

fchafey
May 1st, 2023, 12:39 PM
I suspected it was a bot when it signed up. It has a Miami IP, so I approved it to see what happens.

is it a conservative or progressive bot? :)

Mestral
May 4th, 2023, 6:10 AM
If it is a bot, it is a new and improved type: it isn't throwing up any of the usual things that mark a bot.

(multiple nonsense postings, hidden links, links that have embedded tracking numbers in them, similar postings on other sites, etc)

sojourner truth
May 4th, 2023, 8:08 AM
And I just got a statement from some company that says my wife has ordered a digital wallet at $500.00. I sent them a post telling them that was impossible due to her not having access to a computer or having a Pay Pal account. I have had this happen once before where someone has said I ordered something using a Pay Pal account. I have no intention of taking delivery, or paying for thi electronic wallet. Anyone else having problems like this?

Shotgun Jeremy
May 4th, 2023, 8:15 AM
You did right by contacting them. Make sure you ask for a refund. If you don't receive any communication or refund after about two weeks, then contact PayPal to dispute the charge. They'll want to see that you tried to resolve it yourself, and then they'll refund your money.

I've been through this a few times, myself.

Ludwig
May 4th, 2023, 8:56 AM
I get those kinds of emails all the time. I just got one yesterday that I renewed a subscription for two years to one of those Norton-like companies. I just toss them into the trash. If I responded I'm sure I'd be spending the better part of each day doing so and would gain nothing.

shawnricheson
May 4th, 2023, 9:51 AM
And I just got a statement from some company that says my wife has ordered a digital wallet at $500.00. I sent them a post telling them that was impossible due to her not having access to a computer or having a Pay Pal account. I have had this happen once before where someone has said I ordered something using a Pay Pal account. I have no intention of taking delivery, or paying for thi electronic wallet. Anyone else having problems like this?

Build a predefined IP range list to limit the MX servers that can communicate with you.

Blocking China, Russia and all of the VPN's eliminate 99.9% of it.

I may build a simple installer and put it on https://clickanerd.com/nerdtools to automate the process.

sojourner truth
May 4th, 2023, 7:01 PM
I don't want to spoil their fun, and I don't really pay attention to obvious scams. I suppose what gets me the most is that they have my wifes name and my email adress. God only knows what else they have. I suppose if they had my info for credit it would be another story.

Ludwig
March 27th, 2024, 11:02 AM
A green energy tool designed to save us from environmental disasters may be causing a mini-catastrophe of its own.

A major hailstorm damaged thousands of solar panels in Fort Bend County, Texas. Now, residents are worried about the environmental risk posed by the leaking panels.

The hailstorm hit the community on Saturday, March 23, showering the area with golf ball-sized chunks of ice.

According to reports, large solar farms like the one devastated by the storm typically use panels made with cadmium telluride.

According to the EPA, cadmium telluride is a toxic substance that can cause kidney, heart, skin, and lung problems. The companies that own the farm declined to identify the type of panels it uses.

A physics professor at Rice University said the risk is small because the panels tend to be very durable. He added that even if there is a leak, the risk is PROBABLY small because the toxin has NOT YET reached the groundwater.

sojourner truth
March 28th, 2024, 9:52 AM
If anyone else out there has DirecTV,did you have an outage after the last storm? Supposedly the state of Texas has been experiencing a series of TV outages.

Ricky
March 28th, 2024, 12:52 PM
If anyone else out there has DirecTV,did you have an outage after the last storm? Supposedly the state of Texas has been experiencing a series of TV outages.

No problems with the TV in our house, reception is crystal clear

Johnny Frederick
March 28th, 2024, 2:15 PM
We had an outage during the peak of the rain, but only lasted about 10 Min.
Johnny

sojourner truth
April 9th, 2024, 11:55 AM
No problems at my house other than DTV going to internet instead of the dish.