PDA

View Full Version : Cove Needs a Football Coach

Rick
February 18th, 2020, 6:07 PM
Well hell, that didn't last long.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200219/9cbf80f6649f36073c4b6734a6c368f2.jpg

fchafey
February 19th, 2020, 6:54 AM
I guess being the AD and football coach in Cuero is more appealing.....and more money probably....

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Doubt more $$, unless CCISD really lowered the salary. At one time Welch was the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach in the state.
Never thought much of this Alvarez.

Shotgun Jeremy
February 20th, 2020, 1:51 PM
Until recently, I haven't been to a football game in over a decade. The few I went to were less than impressive, to say the least. Hopefully whoever comes in next can help with that.

CenTexDave
February 21st, 2020, 10:28 AM
The talent pool dried up.

gnatsum
February 21st, 2020, 3:28 PM
Back in the '80s, Cove had that problem--MOST of the young men in the high school were NOT INTERESTED in playing football, no matter what was promised (you want to be on the Varsity? How fast can you run?)
Had family friends who lived in Cove who said the coaches would roam the hallways, looking for boys who looked like they were capable of being on the gridiron...most schools seem to have to turn kids away, or have grueling tryouts to thin the herd a bit.

Ludwig
February 21st, 2020, 7:37 PM
It's awfully hard to get any kind of athlete out of the milksops we're raising these days. They don't know what a good day's work is. We are just going to have to import more and more of our athletes or give up having the games.

CenTexDave
February 22nd, 2020, 4:12 PM
Back in the '80s, Cove had that problem--MOST of the young men in the high school were NOT INTERESTED in playing football, no matter what was promised (you want to be on the Varsity? How fast can you run?)
Had family friends who lived in Cove who said the coaches would roam the hallways, looking for boys who looked like they were capable of being on the gridiron...most schools seem to have to turn kids away, or have grueling tryouts to thin the herd a bit.

Prior to that it was the "good ole boy" system in Cove. Parents friends of the coach? Your kid would start. After a few years of that the good players wouldn't bother playing. Hard to win when your bet players are on the bench.

gnatsum
February 24th, 2020, 4:08 PM
There was a story in Texas Monthly a couple of years or so ago, about how some towns' high school don't have enough players for the football team. Many young boys would rather play soccer/Futbol than traditional American football. Less chances of serious injury, plus it seems to be more interesting to them for some reason. Others don't want to risk a potential life-changing injury (legs, back, neck).

Ludwig
February 25th, 2020, 10:26 AM
There was a story in Texas Monthly a couple of years or so ago, about how some towns' high school don't have enough players for the football team. Many young boys would rather play soccer/Futbol than traditional American football. Less chances of serious injury, plus it seems to be more interesting to them for some reason. Others don't want to risk a potential life-changing injury (legs, back, neck).Like I said, milksops. Our society does not produce many men. Sure it produces persons with male genitalia but that does not define a man. Not only are we not seeing traditional athletic excellence, we are actually discouraging it. Those who want to be real men are charged with toxic masculinity. It will not be long before we no longer have any warriors on our battlefields, thus we are pushing for high-tech and robotic answers. This crap makes me very happy that I'm old, too old to have to witness the final decline.

gnatsum
February 25th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Playing sports doesn't necessarily make a boy a man. I didn't do sports because I wasn't particularly good at any of them. One of my grandfathers thought I should play basketball because I was so tall...

I'm 5'11" tall, folks...B-ballers I've known were all taller than me.

fchafey
February 25th, 2020, 12:48 PM
Well just remember," if you cant be an athlete...be an athletic supporter" Principal Greta McGee (Eve Arden) Grease.....

mac
February 25th, 2020, 1:34 PM
Like I said, milksops. Our society does not produce many men. .

actually, our society does produce a lot of men, i've served and bled many of them.....as have you! while it may be true that the nation does not produce many jocks, it certainly does produce real men.....some of whom are coming home in caskets this very day.....mac

gnatsum
February 25th, 2020, 3:10 PM
Well just remember," if you cant be an athlete...be an athletic supporter" Principal Greta McGee (Eve Arden) Grease.....

Reminded me of a sketch from the 1980 television return of "The Smothers Brothers". Pat Paulsen also returned with them, and he was doing a rundown of the Presidential candidates...just before HE declared his candidacy for the position!

"Jack Kemp: a strapping young man. A jock...a JOCKSTRAP!"

CenTexDave
April 14th, 2020, 9:15 AM
Cove has hired Jason Hammer as new AD and head football coach. Never heard of him, but he was the previous coach's top assistant. Something tells me Cove has thrown in the towel.

sojourner truth
April 14th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Maybe they can hire a virtual coach... I vote for Max Headroom....:))

CenTexDave
April 14th, 2020, 3:25 PM
:))